• Start date
  • Replies 39
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 0

MDR

Did you get my email?
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm getting my video sent out to me and have been asked whether i want it on DVD or DV video format - what's the difference and which is better? - are either acceptable to TV station people.

Any advice much 'ppreciated.

Thaks

MDR

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I'm getting my video sent out to me and have been asked whether i want it on DVD or DV video format - what's the difference and which is better? - are either acceptable to TV station people.

Thaks

MDR

TV People might prefer a DV version (or better still a Beta SP or DigiBeta version, although these are expensive). Just get them to include Bars & Tone and a Clock at the head of the tape otherwise tv folk will curse you and your video.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:

Thaks

MDR
Generally TV station people will look for it preferably on beta, but mini DV is broadcast quality too. If I were you I'd try and get both formats from them, as it's good to have things backed up and that can play on different media. Also DV will degrad eventually.

Wilbert said:
TV People might prefer a DV version (or better still a Beta SP or DigiBeta version, although these are expensive). Just get them to include Bars & Tone and a Clock at the head of the tape otherwise tv folk will curse you and your video.
Ahh too slow. Yep I second that last bit too.

dv format is still accepted by most irish stations and is an easier format to transfer to beta (the broadcast format tapes) in case it is needed for some stations e.g mtv. it does degrade very rapidly though as its not the highest digital quality you can get so if you're making copies of your video to distribute get 2 dv master copies made. 1 to keep and one to make duplicates from.

plus......
make sure whoever is giving you the dv tape that they put colour bars for 1min 30sec then the title on the video with a counter clock just before the start of the video.

if the dvd has been burned to just play on a dvd player then there is a certain amount of compression for starters and secondly the tv stations probably wont take it because it means them having to rip the footage from the dvd and then synch the audio and video.

ideally if you were getting the video on dvd get the person to export the whole project as a targa sequence from beginning to end and then to export the audio from start to finish as high quality wav file. the length of the audio and video track should be the same (i.e. if there is a 2seconds of video before the audio starts then there should be 2seconds of blank audio at the beginning of the audio track). then when you give it to the tv station they just drop the audio and video in and render it off. benefits of this are the video can be outputted with no compression so its the highest quality possible.

hope that helps and doesnt confuse too much.

WTF?!! since when has mini dv been accepted as broadcast standard??! ...beta sp is also not suitable for TX (too much drop out on varying decks) tho it is used occasionally....digi-beta is the only truely acceptable format for broadcast in this country....if you would like i can help out with a xfer...holla at [email protected]

ANDY.

STABMASTERARSON said:
WTF?!! since when has mini dv been accepted as broadcast standard??! ...beta sp is also not suitable for TX (too much drop out on varying decks) tho it is used occasionally....digi-beta is the only truely acceptable format for broadcast in this country....if you would like i can help out with a xfer...holla at [email protected]

ANDY.

there's no wtf about it. nobody said mini dv was true digital. if you read the above posts you'll see most people say it will d-e-g-r-a-d-e. it is just the affordable option. rte and tg4 have accepted submissions on mini dv (at a push and on the generosity of the individuals involved in screening the content.) again muchos respect to leagues and the no disco production crew in cork.

digibeta costs a fortune to transfer to and even bloody filmbase havent been able to manage digibeta in the past. i was talking to a lad who was being quoted 400 euro to transfer a couple of copies form mini dv to beta sp!!!! a bit steep for small irish bands.

but of course respect if you're willing to help out.
what do u charge?

STABMASTERARSON said:

ANDY.

No-one said it was broadcast standard but programmes/videos are sometimes broadcast from DV, so it is a broadcast option.

You know is occurred to me last night - why don't some of the video-literate people on thumped (Wil, Anthony, Ian, Speedy, conorbongo, whoever else) put together maybe 6 or 10 hour-long No Disco style shows featuring mostly Irish stuff and then try and sell it as a series to RTE or TV3 or even one of the brit or european stations? Rather than moaning about the gap left by No Disco why not try and fill it? It'd be a pretty easy and cheap thing to make, wouldn't it? Two people could probably do it

Thanks for the advice again gents.

Thing is, I'm not paying for the video and the people doing it can only offer me DV video or DVD, so I can't get it done in Beta format.

Just as a suggestion, it might be useful if any of you in the know would consider putting together a short article on this for the Things site. I know people are busy, but if it were possible it'd be worthwhile.

egg_ said:
You know is occurred to me last night - why don't some of the video-literate people on thumped (Wil, Anthony, Ian, Speedy, conorbongo, whoever else) put together maybe 6 or 10 hour-long No Disco style shows featuring mostly Irish stuff and then try and sell it as a series to RTE or TV3 or even one of the brit or european stations? Rather than moaning about the gap left by No Disco why not try and fill it? It'd be a pretty easy and cheap thing to make, wouldn't it? Two people could probably do it

I think it is a good idea. If people wanted to send me a copy of their video, preferably on DV (as it would not be cost-effective to do it any other way), then I could have a crack at putting together a 1 hour show. Just videos, titles and onscreen info, no presenter. Also, if you have your bands logo/font on disk then send that too. PM me about it if you like.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Thanks for the advice again gents.

Thing is, I'm not paying for the video and the people doing it can only offer me DV video or DVD, so I can't get it done in Beta format.

Just as a suggestion, it might be useful if any of you in the know would consider putting together a short article on this for the Things site. I know people are busy, but if it were possible it'd be worthwhile.

if it's the NYU thing, then they shot it on miniDV, so get a copy on that format, as that will be the best quality you can get. you can, if you want, get a dv to beta transfer in filmbase or a place on the 15b route that old knows (and i can't look up), and it'll cost you about 30 europes including the tape.

also, hello all.

I've put together a reel of the best of my past work that I've sent places... It would be no trouble adding a few more... as it stands now it's about 30 mins long... Wil? wanna talk?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back