Venue Design (1 Viewer)

jane said:
If you're a woman, you are always 'cute'. I mean, you can never, no matter what, be 'stunning' or 'striking' or any of those other words that have slightly more weight. For social reasons, the fact that I look young for my age (or so I'm told) is quite a good thing, but for professional ones, it sucks ass. A student referred to me as 'the little American girl'. The WHAT?! The -- excuse me -- little girl? The little girl!? Sometimes 'girl' is okay. This was not one of those times. 'Little girl' is never okay..

I don't think people thinking you are young is just down to being tall, it is having a young looking face. I still get asked for ID when I'm buying fags.

spiritualtramp said:
I'm tall enough for a bird. I've never been groped at a gig, but quite a few of my smaller female mates have been. I assume gropers would go for short ladies as they think there is less chance of getting the shit kicked out of them.

I also think that, in a crowd situation, a weird vibe develops where your power, and your actual existence are defined by your size. If you're small, you barely exist, and deserve no respect, and are sometimes visibly focused on cosntantly having to assert yourself when you're drowning in people. I think that most of the time, people just don't see you, and don't mean it (and are, at worst, just plain inconsiderate), but there are times when you get seen by the wrong person.

The thing is, I really don't want to start a fight. I'd happily have someone chucked out for doing it, but even though I could probably land a half-decent kick if I were angry enough (I'm strong, but not very coordinated), they wouldn't go for me, they'd go straight for whomever I'd be with, which is usually my boyfriend, who would not deserve it.

spiritualtramp said:
I don't think people thinking you are young is just down to being tall, it is having a young looking face. I still get asked for ID when I'm buying fags.

It's not so much the young thing, but the addition of 'little' to 'girl' that got me. Hell, I'm not going to complain that people sometimes think I'm younger than I am. That's a good thing.

I got slapped very hard on the arse by a completely random drunk guy outside the palace on saturday night. Normally in these situations of 'I'm trying to get past you so this means I must rub against you and wrap my arm around your waist to cop a feel for no reason at all', I have my hardened sharpened elbows out and I dig hard. That generally works just pefect. ButI got such a surprise on saturday that he got away, sans a dig in the ribs. And when I complained, he insulted me. So obviously I had a nerve to mind being hit in the first place if I complained, then I was obviously a stupid fucking bitch worthy of being insulted. Jesus CHRRAAST.

i get random people brushing by me at gigs and putting their hands inside my trousers. not that im complaining mind.

kirstie said:
I got slapped very hard on the arse by a completely random drunk guy outside the palace on saturday night. Normally in these situations of 'I'm trying to get past you so this means I must rub against you and wrap my arm around your waist to cop a feel for no reason at all', I have my hardened sharpened elbows out and I dig hard. That generally works just pefect. ButI got such a surprise on saturday that he got away, sans a dig in the ribs. And when I complained, he insulted me. So obviously I had a nerve to mind being hit in the first place if I complained, then I was obviously a stupid fucking bitch worthy of being insulted. Jesus CHRRAAST.

kirstie said:

Ugh, yeah. That 'arm around the waist' thing is so unnecessary. I know it's not meant to be creepy, but it often is. 'Excuse me' works better, but when that doesn't happen, well, god gave us elbows, and it'd be a pity not to use them.

What a dick, Kirstie. But a typical reaction from the guy, to turn it back on you. What an asshole. So enraging! So, so, so enraging to hear when this kind of thing happens. Especially to a friend. Boo on him!

A friend of mine was out one night, and was still in post-breakup recovery mode. She hadn't been single in ages, and she's always gone out with quite nice guys, so she had just forgotten what sleazy was like. She was boogieing in the Village, and some guy walked up and just clapped a hand right on her ass. She said her reaction was just to feel disheartened. She said that, for a second, she'd gone out with all the nice guys in the world, and these jerks were all that was left. She knew it wasn't true, but she just felt sad that people would be like that. Of course, when she said something about it, he was all, "What's your problem, bitch?"

I love when guys like this blame feminism for it all.

jane said:
Ugh, yeah. That 'arm around the waist' thing is so unnecessary. I know it's not meant to be creepy, but it often is. 'Excuse me' works better, but when that doesn't happen, well, god gave us elbows, and it'd be a pity not to use them.

Agreed.

I used to hate when I'd go out dancing in the Funnel or the music centre or wherever and some random bloke (always a complete stranger) would come up from behind, grab my waist and attempt to dance with me. This feels totally creepy. Most women are attacked from behind so it is a natural instinct to get rather creeped out from this tactic.

I just don't understand why it is necessary to put your arm round someones waist in order to get past them. Tap them on the shoulder, yes, deliberately wrap an arm round them, no. It's just so completely inappropriate, it invades your space and pisses me off no end. I certainly don't do it when I'm trying to get past a person.

spiritualtramp said:
Agreed.

I used to hate when I'd go out dancing in the Funnel or the music centre or wherever and some random bloke (always a complete stranger) would come up from behind, grab my waist and attempt to dance with me. This feels totally creepy. Most women are attacked from behind so it is a natural instinct to get rather creeped out from this tactic.

one of the drug reps, i think it was seroxat, gave us all seroxat rape alarms. theyre really noisy.

kirstie said:

I tried to give you drug rep but it said I'd given out too much today </end lame joke>
ramps said:
one of the drug reps, i think it was seroxat, gave us all seroxat rape alarms. theyre really noisy.

i was also trying to give you rep but it says i have to spread it around first.

kirstie said:
I tried to give you drug rep but it said I'd given out too much today </end lame joke>

kirstie said:
I just don't understand why it is necessary to put your arm round someones waist in order to get past them. Tap them on the shoulder, yes, deliberately wrap an arm round them, no. It's just so completely inappropriate, it invades your space and pisses me off no end. I certainly don't do it when I'm trying to get past a person.

Nicholas Cage started it off, then everyone thought it was cool. But they've obviously never seen Snake Eyes.

HoneymooVegas.jpg

ramps said:
rohypnol gave us stress relieving balls....................oh and a box of dates.

Rohypnol's new ad campaign is like this.

Man: [holding box of dates, looking confused.] I used to fill the emptiness in my heart with food, but it's just not exciting anymore.

Voiceover: Dude, you've got it backwards! Try this!
[Roofies fall from the sky.]

Three hours later, Man emerges from alley beside 'happening' nightspot, pants on back-to-front, gives thumbs-up sign and winks at the camera.

Voiceover: Men, don't settle for less: Rohypnol guarantees you a date with a box.

While looking for that pic (no, I have nothing better to be doing), I've discovered that Nic Cage is playing the Edward Woodward character in a new remake of The Wicker Man - to which I can only say:
"Oh God! Oh Jesus Christ!"

Neil LaBute is directing mind you, which means it has a slightly better chance of not ending up as obnoxious feelgood tosh.

Apologies for thread derailment. As you were.

moc said:
:D

or bass distortion pedals... he cant handle that shit.

..or guitars, drums and singers...hates that shit too.

A venue with a semi-circular/eliptical stage would be cool- you could wear 3D glasses with UglyBlock(tm) shades to block out the mingin band members and a load more people could get closer to the stage to throw knickers, bottles and stuff.

To take this a bit further, anybody have experience of dual purpose performance sites? Places that might operate as a cafe by day with gig space by night? I've known a few places like this in germany and the US. Any alternate reports and what sort of secondary function might it have had?
Buiochas aris.
D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back