Venue Design (1 Viewer)

broken arm said:
i reckon the closed cinema in harolds cross should be converted into a multi-venue.

yeah!! that would bE CLASSIC alright!! hahahaah!! haha!!! hahaha!!! haha!!
haha!!!
Ahhh Hahah!!

andrew

I prefer a venue that's wider than it is long (or approximately square) - you can get closer to the action. Also the floor's gotta be comfortable to stand on, and sound's gotta be good (a big part of this is having the sounddesk in a sensible place)

As for local venues:
Crawdaddy = nice
Whelan's has a bottleneck on those steps, floor very hard on the feet
Doran's bar-at-the-side arrangement sucks
TBMC has way too high a ceiling, and the sound-desk is way up in the gods
Village jacks in a shit place, traffic is distracting when you're playing, sound desk also in a bad place

My old band used to have gigs in my bedroom - take out the desk and the beds and throw in the gear and around 40 people. Still have videos of people kicking out the light crowdsurfing in there. Fuckin mad gigs they were.

there's an old ballroom type place in whitehall thats used for bingo or something, everytime i pass it i say i'm going to turn it into a mega action packed venue and call it 'the venue'

moc said:
there's an old ballroom type place in whitehall thats used for bingo or something, everytime i pass it i say i'm going to turn it into a mega action packed venue and call it 'the venue'

you'll have to fight the bingo-crazed old ladies of dublin 9 for it, though. they always look kind of tough...

it was a cinema before it was a bingo hall, don't think it was ever a ballroom.[/former local]

is anyone else short? venues need to cater more for the likes of me. also, there should be some rule about farting in dublin venues. also shushing should be banned and shouting for "obscure" requests and talking shite etc etc etc.

moc said:
noel is the worst engineer ever. gerry is brilliant.

i hope noel posts here so i can take rep off him.

No way! Noel is brilliant. Never had better sound on or of stage than with him in Whelans. Just dont bring a keyboard .... he doesn't like that much.

ramps said:
is anyone else short? venues need to cater more for the likes of me. also, there should be some rule about farting in dublin venues. also shushing should be banned and shouting for "obscure" requests and talking shite etc etc etc.

I'm short as fuck, and I've realised that I just can't go to gigs in the Village. It's not just that I can't see, it's that they pack it out so much with giants, and I'm so small that I just get shoved around the place no matter where I'm standing. At least in Whelan's, you can go to the back, where the bar is (if you can get by the people who think standing on the steps is a great idea), and get a bit of air, or you have a chance at going upstairs to see.

In the Village, you can't see, and you can't stand anywhere, and so you can't listen to the music, so there's just no point in going there at all. The sound is shite, the layout is a crime, and if you need to go for a piss, you might as well just go in your pants (any excuse, right?). And getting to the bar? Fat chance. It is by far the worst venue I have ever been in. Not only for all its flaws, but because it's newish, and was purpose built, and so all of that shitness is a product of choice. Why bother? Even tall people can't see in there.

Crawdaddy is okay, but, again, there's no periphery to the room where small people can go and feel like they aren't going to be trampled. I almost never get to see the band anyway because I can't even see over the other short people. Or, if I'm in a good spot, where maybe I can see one shoulder of one band member, it ends up being the place that is the 'gap' people squeeze through. When they look out at the crowd, they look at eye-level, and never down, so the empty space above my head actually looks like an empty spot. And I end up spending the entire evening being a fucking turnstile.

I find I get bored at gigs sometimes because I'm standing there, watching everyone else watch. I'm facing in the direction of the stage, but really, I can't see anything.

I really hate being little.

And I really love seated gigs. I realised about a year ago that I'd rather pay extra for a seated gig where I can actually see.

Also, ramps, I agree about the farting. There should be rules. Everyone should be farting all the time.

Oh, and what's with building trendy 'gimmicky' toilets and then never cleaning them? Or buying seats that don't fit? You know, 'Venues', I don't think it's okay to charge a tenner for a fucking drink if there's period blood smeared all over the walls of the ladies' toilets. Or if they overflow every night (Crawdaddy).

just wear heels. You know they suit you.
ramps said:

giro's in belfast was one of the best venues I've ever been in. It was like the mentioned above shoebox style. Stage at one end etc. It also had chairs along the walls so if you were shoter and needed a bit of extra height,you could be lucky enough to stand on one of them.
Sound was probably the best I've encountered in ireland. All the people who did regular sound understood that some people play loud. I still can't believe when knifed played the village I had to turn down a solid state combo to about 2!!!!!
It was also bring your own and probably most importantly all ages.

jane said:
A lot of people wouldn't agree with us, Dwight, but I, too, think the Sugar Club is a decent venue. I like getting a seat, and I like the lighting. I also like the table service. The sound isn't brilliant, but we've all heard worse.

and they also serve Murphy's, and sometimes a culchie needs to feel at home in the big smoke.

and it's cool to have your own table, and not to be bothered by that tall guy, Jim, who always backs into me at other gigs.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
giro's in belfast was one of the best venues I've ever been in. It was like the mentioned above shoebox style. Stage at one end etc. It also had chairs along the walls so if you were shoter and needed a bit of extra height,you could be lucky enough to stand on one of them.
Sound was probably the best I've encountered in ireland. All the people who did regular sound understood that some people play loud. I still can't believe when knifed played the village I had to turn down a solid state combo to about 2!!!!!
It was also bring your own and probably most importantly all ages.

I just assumed that it was taken for granted that Giro's is the best venue ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back