US Presidential Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

Guybrush Threepwood for president

mi2guy.jpg

http://www.news3online.com/index.php?code=3Yk214i70T8AD34F2bWC

I love how they don't actually seem to know that he's a character from a computer game

can't believe so many americans take this at face value and get offended. i mean how thick are people?

can't believe so many americans take this at face value and get offended. i mean how thick are people?

I was astounded at how bad the coverage is of the elections over there.

Obama interrupts the introduction to ask for funds for Hillary to help her debts - cut to 2 days of solid coverage on the "gaffe".

He forgot to say it and had to go back, wow, was it clumsy? was it deliberate? would he have done it if he wasn't a muslim? No time of a terrorist fist jab so (did anyone else ever even know such a thing existed before Fox News?).

Is people's enthusiasm for Obama waning yet? He strikes me as quite Blair-like in his lurch to the middle ground since the primaries on issues like withdrawing from Iraq and campaign funding.

It does seem that the wave of enthusiasm for Obama has weakened recently, which may be due to his alleged lurching or possibly to the fact that it's July and nothing important will happen for a while. It's probably a bit of both.

The flip-flop meme that's out there is mainly a creation of the media and the Republicans, as Obama's policies have remained pretty stable since last year, including the controversial bits about Iraq, the death penalty and guns. The one thing that has really annoyed the idealist core of the Democratic Party was his about-turn on the FISA surveillance bill, which looked very much like an electoral tactic designed to prevent future ads attacking his "weakness" on national security. There's a sense that Obama is acting more like a conventional politician than he at first appeared, which is a pity but was probably inevitable given the way political discourse works in the US (and elsewhere).

The campaign funding question is more complicated than it sometimes gets reported. Opting out of public funding was the only way Obama could match McCain's in the money race. He had previously said he would take public funding, but only if he could reach an agreement with his opponent on how to control the use of money raised by external groups (think MoveOn, NRA, Swiftboaters, etc.) Even though McCain will be taking public funding that limits his spending, the Republicans are masters at funnelling mega-contributions into action committees, state parties, etc., that will essentially be spent on the presidential race. I've seen estimates that both candidates will end up with about the same amount of money to spend.

I don't have time to go looking for links, but I can do so if anyone wants some evidence for the above...

his slight move to the middle is something nearly every candidate does during the election. his supporters are of the "end justifies the means" opinion.

he's a politician, not a messiah.

still, he gave a nice pep-talk down the road today.

(possibly mentioned: freedom, sacrifice, hope, change, citizenship, opportunity, equality, yearning, determination, crossroads, promise, democracy, loyalty, danger, trust, promise, partnership, responsibility, humanity, courage, resolve, history, destiny, army, flag, red, white, blue, blah, blah, blah, etc.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He spoke well at the VFW yesterdy and seemed to hold his own over the weeked with that pastor - forget his name.

I still would like to see far more outrage from Democrats. They seem afraid to say what clearly needs saying.

The polls are showing McCain and Obama neck and neck now where Obama was 10% ahead not so long ago. He needs to go on the offensive more, spend less time complementing McCain on his service to the country and more time hammering the following:

The war on Iraq was based on lies by a cabal of Republicans who have sent 4000 of your children to die in furtherance of some geopolitical expiriment and in the process have pillaged Iraq, fermented terrorism and fucked the economy.

Diebold Admits Ohio Machines May Lose Votes

"Premier Election Solutions (a subsidiary of Diebold) has acknowledged a flaw that causes the systems to lose votes. It cannot be patched before the election and the machines are used in half of Ohio's counties, but they are issuing guidelines for avoiding the problem that presumably contain a work-around. While Diebold initially blamed anti-virus software for the glitch, they have now discovered that the bug was their own fault for not recording votes to memory when the cards are uploaded in 'certain circumstances' — something their initial analysis missed. It would be nice to hope that Ohio poll workers would be tech-savvy enough to make this a non-issue, but they had poll worker shortages last year and might need tech-savvy people to volunteer."

http://news.slashdot.org/news/08/08/22/136215.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back