US Presidential Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

She will struggle on, plowing her own money into the campaign. At this point the only question is how much poorer does she want to become.

Hilary isn't stupid though. When more of her own people (like McGovern) tell her its over she will call it a day. But, in the mean time she wants to be seen to be toughing it out.
She will probably go on to win the next two primaries, and maybe then call the Dem nomination campaign a day.
She has made the point that she is well liked, millions of people voted for her, and she will want to use this to get some sort of leverage to try and get a high ranking position in the next administration. (Assuming its an Obama one.)

She will struggle on, plowing her own money into the campaign. At this point the only question is how much poorer does she want to become.

Hilary isn't stupid though. When more of her own people (like McGovern) tell her its over she will call it a day. But, in the mean time she wants to be seen to be toughing it out.
She will probably go on to win the next two primaries, and maybe then call the Dem nomination campaign a day.
She has made the point that she is well liked, millions of people voted for her, and she will want to use this to get some sort of leverage to try and get a high ranking position in the next administration. (Assuming its an Obama one.)

A few of the comitted superdelegates have recently defected from her to Obama, this is a bad sign. She is pushing the line very hard to the party that it is important not to disenfranchise the Michigan and Florida voters whose early primaries have been disallowed - it would appear that the "Obabma is unelectable" argument is waning since the resulys of the last 2 pimaries.

Its possible that the democrats are clever, that this whole thing has been staged for our benefit. No one has heard anything from McCain over the last while. He is completely irrelevant. There could have been some sort of idea that we'll have a bells and whistles fight, which we will string out as much as possible.

When the winner is announced, the loser will come in hard behind them saying they agree with basically everything that matters about them.

Then, having been put through the ringer in a huge high profile battle, by someone who now has your back, the fight with right wing old man that no one has heard a word from for the majority of the campaign suddenly looks much more straight forward.

I always thought the same - the preveiling wisdom is that the long campaing is hurting the democrats - I personally can't see how. The news is still 100% democrats - and it's not as if the media would be ignoring any of the "scandals" like Rev Wright or Bosnia if the same things were coming to light in the big show. In fact Dems have a change to discuss these things on their own terms and cam mantain a level of civility in the discuss that would be absent if it was the Republican candidate pushing there same points.

John Edwards backs Obama (while playing for a VP role no doubt)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/14/edwards.obama/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards endorsed Sen. Barack Obama on Wednesday at a campaign event in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
art.oe.ap.jpg
Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. John Edwards in a CNN sponsored debate in South Carolina in January.

corner_wire_BL.gif

"The reason I'm here tonight is because the Democratic voters have made their choice, and so have I," he told the boisterous crowd.
"There is one man who knows and understands that this is a time for bold leadership. There is one man that knows how to create the change, the lasting change, that you have to build from the ground up," Edwards said. "There is one man who knows in his heart there is time to create one America, not two ... and that man is Barack Obama."
Edwards also praised Sen. Hillary Clinton's candidacy.
"What she has shown ... is strength and character, and what drives her is something that every single one of us can and should appreciate," Edwards said. "She is a woman who, in my judgment, is made of steel, and she's a leader in this country not because of her husband but because of what she has done."
video.gif
Watch Edwards give his endorsement »
He said that when the nomination battle is over, "and it will be over soon, brothers and sisters ... we must come together as Democrats."

Neocon shout radio host in 'absolutely no idea what he's talking about' shocker. Why this sort of outing doesnt happen nearly every day across the networks is baffling because this guy is closer to the rule than the exception.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What she was obviously saying here was that Bobby Kennedy was still campaigning in June and everyone remembers this because that was when he was assassinated. It is not therefore that unusual for Democratic nomination races to drag on that long.

A clumsy and stupid thing to say, yes, and it certainly digs her a little deeper into the hole she has been digging for herself recently. But, hardly evidence of a deliberate strategy to go for vice-president in the expectation that Obama will be taken out, is it?

What she was saying very clearly was one of the reasons she is hanging around is in case he gets shot.
She has mentioned Bobby Kennedy being shot a couple of times now. Its not accident that she picks him either.

Not only is she privately thinking that there is a chance that Obama is going to be taken out, she is talking openly about it. She is not the only one talking about it. The reality is that a lot of people here would merrily blow him away, and should that happen his position would have to be filled.

She has been burnt now though, so she will have to can this talk for a time being.

As median wages fall, Bush tells Americans they are better off; as the torture continues at Guantánamo Bay - the only part of Cuba Bush actually controls - he calls on Raul Castro to honour human rights; as he cuts taxes and starts wars, he calls on Congress to practise fiscal rectitude. Not content with pissing on your leg and telling you it's raining, he tries to convince you that your leg has been dry all along.
As the primary season draws to a close it has become increasingly apparent that Hillary Clinton has run her campaign with the same contempt for intelligence, decency and democracy that Bush has run the country. Like the Bush administration, her campaign has been sustained by cynicism, divisiveness and fear-mongering, leaving a toxic and rancorous rift in its wake. Like the White House, her aim has been to win at all costs. And like the White House, it has produced the same result. Failure.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/may/26/hillaryclinton.barackobama?

What she was saying very clearly was one of the reasons she is hanging around is in case he gets shot.

No she wasn't. She was saying exactly what I suggested above she was saying. Even your friend in the Guardian, when he takes a break from the Hilary bashing, admits as much:

On Friday she was lambasted for intimating that she was staying in the race because, like Bobby Kennedy, Obama may yet be assassinated. It was clumsy. But a reasonable reading of the context shows she neither said nor meant anything of the kind
Look, I don't like Hilary Clinton much. I'm glad Obama is going to win as I think he will be the better candidate and (hopefully) the better president. But, if he stands any chance of beating that prick McCain in November he is going to need a united democratic party behind him, an important part of which is the Clintons and their supporters. Now, I know that the Clinton campaign has done far more to drive deep divisions within the Democratic party than the other side and Obama's supporters are pretty resentful over this, but they need to just get the fuck over it and stop going around accusing Hilary of being everything from a racist to as-bad-as-Bush to the anti-Christ and everything in between. She's not the enemy. Not just yet, anyway :)

Hugh, there's no way O'Bama will ever be president. I sais in an earlier post that W. will be president in November/January. America is gearing up for mass dissident internment and the final steps for a NWO. The devaluing of the dollar. Hyper inflation. Tommy Franks, himself, said that another 'terrorist attack' and marshal law will be put into effect. The end game is near. Buckle up. TS is nearly ready THTF.

Hugh, there's no way O'Bama will ever be president. I sais in an earlier post that W. will be president in November/January. America is gearing up for mass dissident internment and the final steps for a NWO. The devaluing of the dollar. Hyper inflation. Tommy Franks, himself, said that another 'terrorist attack' and marshal law will be put into effect. The end game is near. Buckle up. TS is nearly ready THTF.

At last someone who thinks along the same lines as me. One question.

TS=?
THTF=?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back