US Presidential Elections 2008 (1 Viewer)

Yeah, sorry that's actually what I was trying to say.
The US needs Asia to give its currency value. And the Asia needs the US to buy their shit.
Each economy is reliant on the other.

However, what I am trying to say is : this wont necessarily go on for ever. If Asia can get their stuff consumed elsewhere, then it will no longer need to keep the US running.
And, the instant they pull their support for the US dollar, it becomes worthless.

Might be why China has such a vested interest in Africa?
If they can get economies moving there, then they've got a huge market for the goods.
Anyway, I reckon India will dominate everything. Or one of the new civilisations that will crop up with they turn on CERN.

oh yeah.
fuck.

What about the Suzuki's choice?

Poor old Suzuki :(

So do people reckon that Clinton going on about Obama as her running mate is one last-ditch desperate attempt to curry favour with on-the-fencers and the remaining undecided superdelegates (who wear colourful spandex, underpants and capes, I can only assume)? And who else here feels like Matthew Broderick looking into the room at Reese Witherspoon jumping up and down in that film "Election" every time you see Clinton smile from ear to ear when she gets a huge cheer from her supporters after a significant win?

why can't Hacksaw Jim Duggan be prez?
His trusty 2 x 4 would dish out a new kind of justice.

200px-Jim_Duggan.jpg

Poor old Suzuki :(

So do people reckon that Clinton going on about Obama as her running mate is one last-ditch desperate attempt to curry favour with on-the-fencers and the remaining undecided superdelegates (who wear colourful spandex, underpants and capes, I can only assume)? And who else here feels like Matthew Broderick looking into the room at Reese Witherspoon jumping up and down in that film "Election" every time you see Clinton smile from ear to ear when she gets a huge cheer from her supporters after a significant win?

All that money raised by her campaign... all gone on pointing lessons. :(

Might be why China has such a vested interest in Africa?
If they can get economies moving there, then they've got a huge market for the goods.
Anyway, I reckon India will dominate everything. Or one of the new civilisations that will crop up with they turn on CERN.

Here, billy, you were the first person I heard saying "watch this Obama guy, he's very good".
And I was all Me arse. He's blick. And he has a terrifying name. No way. You just dont get it Billy.

And you were all No you dont get it Maccers. Obama is deeeeeeaaadly.

And I was all like, Billy, you so funny. But seriously. No way. Blick Billy. BLICK.

I just thought I would point that out there.

Here, billy, you were the first person I heard saying "watch this Obama guy, he's very good".
And I was all Me arse. He's blick. And he has a terrifying name. No way. You just dont get it Billy.

And you were all No you dont get it Maccers. Obama is deeeeeeaaadly.

And I was all like, Billy, you so funny. But seriously. No way. Blick Billy. BLICK.

I just thought I would point that out there.

Mark my words about CERN.
A new beginning when they turn on that particle accelerator.

My own personal perdiction is that Obama will win the primary and that McCain will win the election; I think Clinton would beat MCain (contrary to internal reports to the contrary) based on the following:

Why I think Obama will lose the presidential election:

- so much is decided by the actual Presidential election 'campaign' itself. The primary campaign is very mild, as no candidate wants to scupper the overall chances of a Democrat win. Obama is largely untested and looked irritated by recent criticisms of his economic adviser's loose talk in canada. I think it would only take one or two dirty stories about them (true or not) to turn people off the whole 'audacity of hope' message. Nobody ever ran a flawless campaign and he is untested as a comeback fighter (clinton has that experience in spades and has no undeclared skeletons in her closet at this stage).

- The democrats will win if they get a good turnout and Obama is certainly capable of generating that, but lost ohio and other blue-collar states in the primaries (clinton strongholds). They are must-wins for democrats, especially as McCain's people (in today's Times and in the Economist last week) have said that they are targetting Reagan Democrats i.e. democrats who are democrats on the economy but republican (stay in iraq) on defence. Obama needs to close that off.

There is some hope for democrats as McCain has isolated himself from the christian core of republicans (yet somehow won the nomination!), which won't turn them into democrats but may affect turnout. His choice of running mate will be crucial (some christian I'll bet).

As always though, elections can turn on, as yet, unforseen, waterhsed moments (remember how Royston Brady was waaaayyy ahead in the polls for the European Parlaiment) and i think Obama's appeal as a white knight is vulnerable to a smear campaign. He has to lead a campaign based on his message rather than the usual democrat mistake of answering every criticism thrown by the republicans.

The idea that the US will elect a man that has promised his country 100 more years of war is just too horrifying for me to deal with.

I know that I can get carried away with things sometimes, but, seriously, I genuinely think if the US continues down this path they are on, and that's what electing McCain is doing, that we are seeing the beginning of the end.
If Americans cant see they are destroying themselves now, they never will.

My own personal perdiction is that Obama will win the primary and that McCain will win the election; I think Clinton would beat MCain (contrary to internal reports to the contrary) based on the following:

Why I think Obama will lose the presidential election:

- so much is decided by the actual Presidential election 'campaign' itself. The primary campaign is very mild, as no candidate wants to scupper the overall chances of a Democrat win. Obama is largely untested and looked irritated by recent criticisms of his economic adviser's loose talk in canada. I think it would only take one or two dirty stories about them (true or not) to turn people off the whole 'audacity of hope' message. Nobody ever ran a flawless campaign and he is untested as a comeback fighter (clinton has that experience in spades and has no undeclared skeletons in her closet at this stage).

- The democrats will win if they get a good turnout and Obama is certainly capable of generating that, but lost ohio and other blue-collar states in the primaries (clinton strongholds). They are must-wins for democrats, especially as McCain's people (in today's Times and in the Economist last week) have said that they are targetting Reagan Democrats i.e. democrats who are democrats on the economy but republican (stay in iraq) on defence. Obama needs to close that off.

There is some hope for democrats as McCain has isolated himself from the christian core of republicans (yet somehow won the nomination!), which won't turn them into democrats but may affect turnout. His choice of running mate will be crucial (some christian I'll bet).

As always though, elections can turn on, as yet, unforseen, waterhsed moments (remember how Royston Brady was waaaayyy ahead in the polls for the European Parlaiment) and i think Obama's appeal as a white knight is vulnerable to a smear campaign. He has to lead a campaign based on his message rather than the usual democrat mistake of answering every criticism thrown by the republicans.

I don't agree with this.
The turn-out for Democratic primaries has been immense - with far more democrats voting than republicans.
The media interest in the Democratic campaign far outstrips the Republican one - right from the start.
And the Democrats now control both houses.

Basically it's whoever the Democrats put forward will become president - hence the huge scale interest from the media at the very beginning of the Democratic primaries.

McCain will be 72 when the elections start. That fact alone is a massive hindrance to his campaign. On top of this, the Republicans have basically picked the best of a bad lot. None of their candidates had a broad appeal among all Republicans and it's hard to see them as galvanised about their campaign as the Democrats will be.

If Obama gets the ticket, the Democrats will romp home. If Clinton, they'll win but it will be closer.
Clinton-McCain would be hilarious - some serious mud-slinging going on between them.
Obama-McCain - well, I reckon it would like watching Tiger Woods walking away with a Masters or Schumacher winning a Grand Prix. There will be an inevitability about it.

Whoever comes out of the Democratic Primaries will be seen as a fighter and a winner before the Presidential election starts. They'll be on a crest of a wave and unless the Republicans can pull something ridiculous out of the bag (like Obama is paedophile or something), there's no chance they'll win.

The Republicans have fucked up. They fucked up the economy. They've fucked up on Iraq. They fucked up on health care.
The Neo-Con policies didn't work.
This is patently obvious to the American public and right now, they simply do not want the Republicans in power.

You would be confident that Hilary would win Billy?
There are some very hard numbers to get passed for that to happen.

I am just not at all sure about that.
Like I said before, she is amazingly polarizing. People who would fully agree with everything she actually says, and disagree with a lot of what McCain says would still vote McCain.

For sure.

She is just loathed by a large set of people. And she has shown shit judgment in PR matters over and over again, feeding back into the loathing part of things.
And she has shown shit judgment about who she surrounds herself with.

In her favour though is the economy.
Its bollixed now, and she quite possibly could turn that around, and people know that. Even those who loathe her.

I dont know. Its very hard for me to see her winning. I see McCain giving her a very hard race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back