US Presidential Elections 2008 (4 Viewers)

while I agree it's a little condescending to say Hilary struck a deal with bill post Lewinski-gate, to stand by him in return for his and party support for the senate and presidental race... I think there could be some truth in it, and I'm not sure it's a feminist issue, more a two politian coming to an agreement that works for both of them

Either way I sort of respect Barrack for shooting down Bill and his mouthing off all over the place... but more then that I love Bills comeback...

"Give me a break... This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I've ever seen," Bill Clinton said.

he's still got it

At the next Clinton rally, Barack Obama should dress up as Monica Lewinsky and writhe about on the edge of the stage.

Did you know that Monica Lewinsky's brother is called Ross? And Ross was college mates with Bill Clinton?

while I agree it's a little condescending to say Hilary struck a deal with bill post Lewinski-gate, to stand by him in return for his and party support for the senate and presidental race... I think there could be some truth in it, and I'm not sure it's a feminist issue, more a two politian coming to an agreement that works for both of them

Either way I sort of respect Barrack for shooting down Bill and his mouthing off all over the place... but more then that I love Bills comeback...

"Give me a break... This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I've ever seen," Bill Clinton said.

he's still got it

Oh, no, it's not that idea that he might have stood by her out of guilt or remorse or whatever. Everyone who runs for office of any kind, I imagine, has to cut deals with people that aren't necessarily the most palatable. So yeah, two politicians coming to an agreement -- pretty standard.

It's the idea that because she may have capitalised on the post-Lewinsky climate, that totally negates any notion of merit that's so nutso. If politics were about merit, we wouldn't be in this mess. So it was a double-standard. Does he think Obama -- much as I think he's the most acceptable of the lot -- didn't have to make nice with or ask for help from someone he would otherwise avoid like yer tut-tutting granny? Or McCain? Or Muckabee?

Ha ha, Muckabee. I kill me.

At the next Clinton rally, Barack Obama should dress up as Monica Lewinsky and writhe about on the edge of the stage.

Giuliani has that one saved for when she gets the nomination.

Giuliani_Drag.jpg

I'm going to make a prediction. If Hilary gets the Democratic nomination, which is looking likely, she'll be up against a McCain-Giuliani ticket, who would win. Undecided, centrist voters are more likely to vote for McCain, I reckon. Then McCain will bow out after four years, due to ill health, and Giuliani will be president.

That is, unless Obama gets the democratic nomination, which could still happen.

Another big boost for Ron Paul

Kane said:
"If you're like me, you're tired of unnecessary and exorbitant taxes, you're tired of the (U.S.) dollar constantly losing purchasing power, and you're alarmed when politicians demand that we surrender our constitutionally protected civil liberties, especially the bedrock principles of habeas corpus and due process, in exchange for 'security.' "

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2008/01/12/4769506.html

I'm going to make a prediction. If Hilary gets the Democratic nomination, which is looking likely, she'll be up against a McCain-Giuliani ticket, who would win. Undecided, centrist voters are more likely to vote for McCain, I reckon. Then McCain will bow out after four years, due to ill health, and Giuliani will be president.

That is, unless Obama gets the democratic nomination, which could still happen.

I have always pretty much thought that Hilary will strive valiantly, with a singlemindedness like none before, to lose the election.
She, and she alone, would probably be able to pull that feat off, no matter what comic book villain is running against her.
Although, Christ knows, it would take some work if Fuckabee, Giuliani or Beagle Eyes Romney get the nomination.

Her campaign, to date, seems to have had two main drives :
1) its inevitable that I get the nomination. Dont fight inevitability. Open your mouth and swallow, baby birds.

When this fell at the first hurdle, she moved to
2) Electability. I've basically been the president for 8 years, Bill gave me the odd dig out, but, yeah, this is all easy peasy to me.
Which... apparently seems to work. All the aul dears, and a lot of the help the aged in general are buying that.

Sigh.
We're fucking screwed.
We are very screwed if McCain gets the nomination, because he will appeal... to everyone more or less.

Whereas Obama would probably win. I would expect way higher voter turn outs, and an interest in politics if he did.
In real terms, there wouldn't be much difference between the President Hilary and Obama, maybe less corporate bollox with Obama. Maybe.
But that's not really the issue. The issue is Hilary is going to fuck it up.
(And also smash it repeatedly into everyone's face how undemocratic the US is, and how little power people have, and how much power lobbyists have.)

I agree with Snakybus in theroy, but in practice I can't see the GOP getting behind McCain with any serious intent... I mean he's a bit a prat, 2 years ago he was the most Democrat Republican going, he always looks like he's about to start spouting crazy but is counting to ten slowly till the urge passes

What I think could be interesting is if Hilary keeps stroming along and Obama has to step down...
will she offer him VP? If Obama backs down a lot of the black community are going to lose interest, maybe even feel a little hostile against Hilary... how do you keep them on board? Also come 2012 or 2016 Obama is still young enough to run for office and now has 4 or 8 years as VP for anyone who still questions his experience

Otherwise I think the democrats will split behind Hilary and Obama, the final candiadte won't be able to motivate enough voters and republicans will walk it... sad but true...

I agree with Snakybus in theroy, but in practice I can't see the GOP getting behind McCain with any serious intent... I mean he's a bit a prat, 2 years ago he was the most Democrat Republican going, he always looks like he's about to start spouting crazy but is counting to ten slowly till the urge passes
The GOP has taken such a hammering with the Rove/Bush axis they would take anyone who offers them a clear electoral strategy. If McCain can keep attracting indepedent voters like he is doing then people will get behind him in a serious way, particuarly if its against Hilary.

What I think could be interesting is if Hilary keeps stroming along and Obama has to step down...
will she offer him VP? If Obama backs down a lot of the black community are going to lose interest, maybe even feel a little hostile against Hilary... how do you keep them on board? Also come 2012 or 2016 Obama is still young enough to run for office and now has 4 or 8 years as VP for anyone who still questions his experience
Yeah I think Obama as VP is a real possibility. It would seem strange if hilary were to beat him narrowly, and then not offer it to him, given his age and the attraction he would offer to indepedent voters. Which would be good in that it would break the trend towards someone being selected on the basis they are from the opposite end of the country to the Presidential candidate.

I would be surprised... and gutted if Obama got Vice.
Edwards is Obama's perfect vice, if he would take it.

I dunno who would want to be Clinton's vice. All you are going to do is fuck up your future.

I could be totally wrong about all this.
Jesus.

I wish Hilary Clinton would just fuck off. It simplifies everything.

But but but, she's a WOMAN!!!!

Oh yeah? So was Thatcher.

Otherwise I think the democrats will split behind Hilary and Obama, the final candiadte won't be able to motivate enough voters and republicans will walk it... sad but true...

Well, not true, really. All the evidence suggests that a split electorate at this stage of the campaign is no harm when it comes to the actual election -- people from each camp tend to get behind their party's candidate. The republicans are split four ways, after all, the democrats only two.

McCain has to get the nomination. Romney, the only Republican candidate with financial backing anywhere close to Obama/Clinton, has already lost Iowa and New Hampshire, and I'm not sure if anyone has got their party's nominations without these. Huckabee is just too weak a candidate. I find this year interesting because in McCain you have a candidate who would attract some wavering democrats, like Reagan in the '80s, and in Obama you have someone who would attract many wavering republicans -- something you couldn't say for Hilary. I think it would come down to a battle of personalities, and McCain has lots of charm. But will Obama get it? I think the South Carolina caucus could be the clincher for the democrats. There are lots of black voters there.

What: Super Tuesday Party with Politics.ie
Where: Lime Cafe Bar in Dun Laoghaire
When: Tuesday 5th Feb, 9pm - 7am (late bar until 2.30am)

Politics.ie are hosting a Super Tuesday party on Tuesday Feb 5th, with 24 US presidential election primaries that night. It's one of the most significant day in American politics where the presidentential candidates for the Republicans and Democrates will become known. It also happens to be the 5th birthday of Politics.ie.

It will be held in Lime Cafe Bar in Dun Laoghaire, with some free drink and hotdogs (thanks to Lime Cafe Bar and Budweiser). CNN will be on the big screens from Midnight until 7am. Late bar until 2.30am. Doors 9pm

Tickets for the event are €15, with concessions (€10) for anyone who confirms attendance by emailing [email protected]

Should you know anyone you feel would be interested in coming along, please by all means pass this email on.

Further details are available from Politics.ie

http://www.politics.ie
http://www.politics.ie/[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back