• Trump/Pence

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Biden/Harris

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Monsoon/Heenan

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the issue may be that they were allowed to storm the house, wreck the place and walk away. Cops even opened the barricades for them on the way in.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not saying nothing bad happened, I'm saying - does it matter? Does this change anything? Will we even remember it in 5 years?

We'll probably be in the middle of an even greater pandemic so no it probably won't matter too much in five years but doubt people will forget it happened.

Honestly i'd put it this way: it's sad that a number of people died yesterday, very sad.

However,

The US kills people all the time, hundreds and thousands every year, a million odd in Iraq directly because of the 2003 war, indirectly hundreds of thousands all over the world, including in their cruel, inhumane criminal justice and welfare systems.

What happened yesterday is Trump once again inciting what to those in charge is the the worst thing possible: bad optics and incivility; confederate flags in the Capitol Building, lunatics running riot mere feet away from where their senators pass all the laws that lead to the deaths above.

To the average American what happened yesterday will change nothing in their life, for the average beltway journalist or congressman what happened yesterday is the biggest breach of all: that of decorum. Yes, we will kill millions, but always out of sight, how dare they bring the barbaric nature of our system home to us.

Yeah yeah, cynical Lili being a downer again. I'm not depressed by what happened yesterday, I think it's pretty hilarious all things considered, I am depressed by what happens every day though.

Apparently Ariel Pink and John Maus were at the rally thing and are big MAGA guys

God dammit, I really like Ariel Pink...even if he is a questionable character.
I wonder if he's a bit like John Lydon thinking to himself "who is the most divisive person out there....well that's who I'll support. Get me some attention."

God dammit, I really like Ariel Pink...even if he is a questionable character.
I wonder if he's a bit like John Lydon thinking to himself "who is the most divisive person out there....well that's who I'll support. Get me some attention."
If you go on his twitter page he seems pretty serious about it. responds to most questions/accusations thrown at him with pretty thoughtful responses

the Capitol yesterday was best example of white privilege I've seen for a long time.
if anti racist protestors, black folks, leftists or anarchists had done that many more people
would have been shot and there would have been hundreds arrested.
or quite likely the whole incident would not have been allowed to develop as the policing
would been much more oppressive.

has there been any serious study into why down on their luck people, who don't like the
status quo, have such affection for Trump ?
there is this chauvinistic devotion to someone is counter to their own interests.
how does someone have more empathy for Trump than other working people ?
they must be extremely desperate to latch on to anyone who will affirm their own deluded views.

the Capitol yesterday was best example of white privilege I've seen for a long time.
if anti racist protestors, black folks, leftists or anarchists had done that many more people
would have been shot and there would have been hundreds arrested.
or quite likely the whole incident would not have been allowed to develop as the policing
would been much more oppressive.

has there been any serious study into why down on their luck people, who don't like the
status quo, have such affection for Trump ?
there is this chauvinistic devotion to someone is counter to their own interests.
how does someone have more empathy for Trump than other working people ?
they must be extremely desperate to latch on to anyone who will affirm their own deluded views.
I don't know about specific studies but I was listening to something earlier today about this, an interview with the author of this book (that I VAGUELY remember from when I was a lot younger)

the basic argument being that the Democratic Party made a conscious decision in the 1960s to not support labour and only appeal to highly-educated, well-off Americans . It means that when someone is poor, white and not formally educated to a high degree they have nowhere to go but the Republican party because the Dems don't want them. It also means that the Dems can only ever barely win elections since there will never be that many highly educated people in the US who also have good jobs.

This isn't to defend the eejits yesterday or anything, but, as egg was saying, does anyone actually, truly think a small mob of unorganized internet-brained fools running riot for 2 hours is going to actually commit a coup large enough to take on the US military and police force??

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back