US Election 2016 (1 Viewer)

It seems that despicable pro-life troll and attendee of European neo-nazi events Justin Barret has been given some ideas.

Never mind

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

15073369_1845871885646665_3721839356208567940_n.jpg

What's this singularity stuff? I mean apart from an astrophysics thing about big bangs and black holes.

Yeah, good question, I've been trying to makes sense of it for a few years now.

The singularity stuff is a convoluted world where the most extreme of alt right people mix with (or are) Silicon Valley libertarian billionaire types (who also run companies like Google and Facebook) who, in turn fund, the Science-y types who want to achieve singularity/ transcend humanity.

The New Yorker has profiled a lot of them in recent years (which says a lot about their influence, it being the HBO "prestige" show of magazines)

I appreciate there's a lot of reading in here:

No Death, No Taxes - The New Yorker

Who Funds the Future?

The Doomsday Invention

Sam Altman’s Manifest Destiny

The fact that no one has asked Silicon Valley to interfere with the entire world and may not want them to is beyond their comprehension because hey, that's capitalism.

Anyway, the best example I can find where someone ties it all together (and is in favour of it) is on the popular blog Star Slate Codex, which tries to argue against all the hateful parts of new atheism/racist alt right while staying profoundly in favour of technology being the ultimate solution to all human problems.

Meditations On Moloch

(the fact that it largely does it through some old fashioned literary criticism is an irony seemingly lost on it btw)

With Trump in power these are the groups now running America (and via Silicon Valley, most world capitalism). These people are not big on humanity, philosophically they're against it.

Last edited:
@Lili Marlene : you come across the neoreactionaries yet in your explorations of this stuff? And the splendidly named but appalling Mencius Moldbug?

I haven't read all of this article yet but it was recommended to me and looks pretty good:

The Darkness Before The Right

As the article says at one point, Adam Curtis will probably make a film about Nick Land some time in the future. If there is actually a future that is.

I used to regard all these guys as a bit of a joke. Not anymore.

edit: well my massive post got deleted by a bad internet connection. great.

@Lili Marlene : you come across the neoreactionaries yet in your explorations of this stuff? And the splendidly named but appalling Mencius Moldbug?

I haven't read all of this article yet but it was recommended to me and looks pretty good:

The Darkness Before The Right

As the article says at one point, Adam Curtis will probably make a film about Nick Land some time in the future. If there is actually a future that is.

I used to regard all these guys as a bit of a joke. Not anymore.

Yeah the neoreactionaries come up in that blog piece I linked to. I've never come across Mencius Moldbug although he might have been on a list of names i'd never heard of at some point.

I'm reading through that thing now, I hadn't realised the Dark Enlightenment was an actual text, I thought it was just a dumb idea thrown around by Red Pill-ers, I might have to go read it over the next few days, it could be the key to understanding all this stuff for me.

This line grabs me:
If a person doesn’t produce quantifiable value, they are, objectively, not valuable. Everything else is sentimentality.

I mean, this is the world we live in right now isn't it? Ireland might fool people into thinking we're not like that because we monetized sentimentality to sell to tourists but its pretty much how things are.

(points against that article: it called Zizek a communist, hmmmmm)

Thing is, overall i'm not so worried of neo-reactionaries, I think at some point it becomes in your face racism (like, to your neighbours face) which I still say most would reject. Less than a quarter of people who are eligible to vote, voted for Trump, and a lot of that would be party loyalty. He got less votes than the two previous republican losers. He's not that popular, just less unpopular than Hillary (imho).

Of course there's also the issue of the US and the world being fucking enthralled with old colononialism (I've been rage-watching The Crown recently, a good blog would be to document the atrocities the empire was still doling out in parallel with the events in each episode)

My main fear is the people like in the blog I linked to above who reject all the neo-reactionary stuff but still put their faith in technology as the thing that effectively fixes the human "problem". It's a really good piece because the guy is so likeable and is so careful in what he says but if you take a step back and look at his conclusion, it's fucking insanity.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back