Unpopular Opinions (1 Viewer)

This is hilarious - This is happening on the estate of an old gentry family - instant republican cred!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hahaha that's amazing, loads of people's mas and das singing it all there

These days I've come to think that the existence of a repertoire of songs that pretty much everyone in the country knows the chorus of, and is willing to sing along with, is one of the cornerstones of Irish culture, and that is actually something to celebrate

Yeah for sure. One thing i've gotten more used to with myself that is that music always exists in some cerebral foreground to me, like i'm going through mario kart rainbow road sort of vibe and I enjoy it leading me around the track for want of a much better analogy but it does absorb a huge amount of my attention which makes me mostly prefer the gig part of the gig being on my own. And then sometimes if the mood is right that naturally becomes dancing for me but i'm eqaully happy starting into middle distance absorbing it - and then for about 90% of the people around me, there is commune, melody and dancefloor and they want to be out there together. I am making up the brain terminology for the record.

My relatives all dance to the exact same ten songs about 10 times a year together every year and the love every minute of it, and that has to be respected.

Man you post about footballers from the 30's all the time.
yeah - but I saw them play! more like lads born in the 1930's.

Prof. Gus Martin's English Leaving Cert poetry and short story school books came out in 1969 and were on the course until well into the 1990's. I struggled to find anything in those books that referenced anything that happened in my parents lifetime (post WW2).

Football might be silly but you have the right to say so and ignore it. Same with avoiding pubs or sing songs.
Unlike that Patrick Pearse's crappy poem I had to study.

Hey. Fuck that.

There's a brass plaque on the wall of my local that reads "Bullshit Corner". That is where I sit with some of the most interesting and beautiful humans I've ever met. They'd probably love Thumped dot com if they knew it existed.

yeah - but I saw them play! more like lads born in the 1930's.

Prof. Gus Martin's English Leaving Cert poetry and short story school books came out in 1969 and were on the course until well into the 1990's. I struggled to find anything in those books that referenced anything that happened in my parents lifetime (post WW2).

Football might be silly but you have the right to say so and ignore it. Same with avoiding pubs or sing songs.
Unlike that Patrick Pearse's crappy poem I had to study.

I guess from where i'm looking - I've kinda devoted the last year to history podcasts - very little to do with Ireland and more about getting a comprehension of these names like alexander the great and the dynasties in China ETC ETC. The more i listen to historians the more I see the Irish historical view as a bit unhealthy.

So yes I talk about things 100 years ago.

Like TLDR history is primarily empires taking things from people till they get too indulgent to sustain the campaign, rince and repeat for thousands of years. We are in an interesting spot where we've gone from being the invaded to being the indulgents in about one generation - and what I see opinion wise is that in this affluent space it gets easy to ignore how short a time we actually have civil rights in the grand scheme of things. People want that bit to blur into the background because like nearly every civil rights struggle against an empire in history, violence was one of the gears that turned it and it just isn't easy to accept considering the lives we have now. I'm more into learning from it. Like I have to accept it happened, I have to accept that in that arena terrible things happened to innocent people, I have to accept the violent roles of the english government and their terrorist allies, I have to accept that I will live among both cultures for my whole life and I have to look at how the south reacted when it all became at bit 1916 up north the the 70s. It's history - we learn from it or we repeat it

Here's that quote from wikipedia

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Half surprised there's been no mention of the legacy bill here over the last few days.

Any of yas paying attention or care about it? Maybe the Wolfe Tones discourse across southern media worked as a distraction.

Half surprised there's been no mention of the legacy bill here over the last few days.

Any of yas paying attention or care about it? Maybe the Wolfe Tones discourse across southern media worked as a distraction.

It’s not surprising it’s been introduced. The British government condone murder

It’s not surprising it’s been introduced. The British government condone murder

Presume their thinking is along the lines of "most of their vermin will have done some sort of time and we won't be getting any more of them, so we'll just protect our chaps from here on out."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back