True Detective - HBO (2 Viewers)

Marty said the only time he shot a gun before was when hunting.....when he shot an elk.
Hmmmmm. So much food for thought with this show.

The writer said you can figure out what's going on in the first episode allegedly. I'm going to rewatch it I think.

The creator said that all the information you need about what is going on is contained in the first episode.

Ok I just watched it again and it's possible that Cohle IS the killer.

He talks about how he meditates on the cross in his living room with the idea in mind of "the garden..... and how someone can allow there own crucifixion". Then at the end of the episode the modern day 2012 murder shows that the victim is crucified.

But then the show seems to like to connect things up with imagery in other places too. For instance there is a story about a young girl being chased through the woods by what she describes as being a spaghetti monster (there is a police sketch of it). Then in the scene where Cohle goes to Marty's for dinner they are eating spaghetti.

But besides that the whole show could be about a Christian cult V a Satanic cult. There is Shea Wighans alleged satanic preacher, then in the first episode there the Reverend Tuttle who is governor's brother. Tuttle could be the Yellow King

According to the Clarke Peters' preacher in the first episode the little stick sculptures are to ward off the devil. So maybe it's the Christians who are doing the killing????

I don't know..... so much imagery, so many red herrings.

Will we actually find out who the Yellow King is?

He hasn't moved on.

It's probably one of those metaphor things.

I get that, metaphors are not lost on me, however the reality is it wouldn't pass inspection.
That is unless he's completely off the grid but even so, you fix it and don't get pulled over.
Don't fix it surely you're letting yourself open to be caught out by police.
Just doesn't seem smart for the character's level of intelligence.
I'll only be satisfied if it shows another incident where it could have happened more recently.

I get that, metaphors are not lost on me, however the reality is it wouldn't pass inspection.
That is unless he's completely off the grid but even so, you fix it and don't get pulled over.
Don't fix it surely you're letting yourself open to be caught out by police.
Just doesn't seem smart for the character's level of intelligence.
I'll only be satisfied if it shows another incident where it could have happened more recently.

He's been taking care of his truck like he's been taking care of his hair.
He's a man who drinks every single day and his focus is on something other than getting his inspection sticker or avoiding traffic tickets.

I thought it was a nice shot.

There's no way it happened more recently.

He's been taking care of his truck like he's been taking care of his hair.
He's a man who drinks every single day and his focus is on something other than getting his inspection sticker or avoiding traffic tickets.

I thought it was a nice shot.

There's no way it happened more recently.

Just seems a bit silly. It's one thing to let yourself go and his hair nearly acts as a disguise. If someone was trying to lay low and investigate, one would think they wouldn't allow themselves to be caught off guard possibly that carelessly. Lots of criminals get caught out out by simple traffic tickets. I suppose showing up in crime scene shots is careless too. Agreed it was a nice shot but it bugged me because is character seems too smart, even when dishevelled and drunk not to have fixed that shit.

Edit. Not to say he is a criminal rather he would know that because he's a cop.

Last edited:
It's a very well-written article, but the author doesn't seem to give any credit to the idea that the machismo is stylized, like everything else, because the whole show is a homage to these types of shows. NONE of it is supposed to be realistic.

well she covers it in this

when a mystery show is about disposable female bodies, and the women in it are eye candy, it’s a drag. Whatever the length of the show’s much admired tracking shot (six minutes, uncut!), it feels less hardboiled than softheaded. Which might be O.K. if “True Detective” were dumb fun, but, good God, it’s not: it’s got so much gravitas it could run for President.

which I think is a fair point.

I'm still enjoying the show but some people have reacted VERY badly to the above article which probably means it touches a nerve they'd rather not be touched. For me it brought to light some uncomfortable truths that I feel I'd noticed but had been trying not to think about before.

It's just one perspective, not everything has to be the universe.
Um, sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back