True Detective - HBO (1 Viewer)

i don't get that, is it not obvious that rust would have gotten his ideas from books? is the stuff he learned about criminal psychology from books plagiarism too?

He seems to be tying himself in knots over that whole Ligotti fellow though. Is he afraid of legal action if he admits a few lines were lifted? Otherwise I don't see the issue - philosophy is quoted in fiction all the time; it's often a good way of making the ideas less dull and dry.

yeah i guess that's true enough

it's only a minor complaint, the hillbilly ending was the most egregious thing for me
and the giant shootout they triggered just to track down a possible lead
There was plenty wrong with it. I would have liked to see more of the hillbilly couple. They were so fucking sleazy, exactly the kind of horrible shit I'm into.

Eventually most cop thrillers descend into stupidity because virtually no one has come up with a way to end a thriller without resorting to a chase, and that just doesn't happen in real life. I'm sure most cases end the way The Wire portrayed it but that's just not enough ooomph for most audiences.
Honestly the biggest surprise for me was that they got their man I was really hoping they'd die and the second second season would start with the hillbilly disposing of their bodies. But that's me.

The Pliagerism thing is ridiculous. Is Quentin Tarantino going to be called out for quoting the fucking bible ?

The hillbilly lad showed himself to be a lot smarter than first expected through the last episode. There's also the theory that he was possessed by an evil spirit that other members of his family before him have also been possessed by.

this thread is loooooooooooooong

only just watched TD this week. it had some really great moments with McConna-hey - although always at the very moment when i would be transfixed by the combination of images and music and whatever he was shiteing on about, the boyfriend would be snorting in disgust at the bolloxology of it.

there was one particular moment that blew my mind, where he's talking about regret at life going past and says "the future's behind you--like it's always been behind you" and it's shown over an image of marty's older daughter.

main problems: the ridiculousness of episodes 4 & 8, and the totally unbelievable series of hot babes flinging themselves at gimpy old tortoise-faced woody harrelson
"ooh woody, i totally want you to fuck me in the ass...did i...did i say my lines right, mr. harrelson? what's that, one more run-through? alright then"
this isn't a criticism of the character's sexism or whatever; just surely he could have been a dick to more believable women.

and i was totally disgusted that they went with giant shambling hillbilly as the killer. you have got to be fucking shitting me. after all that high-brow rigmarole and cover-ups involving pillars of society it's a fucking hills have eyes sideshow freak in a jumpsuit?
The hillbilly lad showed himself to be a lot smarter than first expected through the last episode. There's also the theory that he was possessed by an evil spirit that other members of his family before him have also been possessed by.

I think the whole thing is more sinister if you discount any supernatural causes.

well i'll be

BBC News - Sex with police officer was 'flattering', court told

'Five-minute fumble'

The woman, who is not named for legal reasons, said: "I just let it happen, I wanted it to happen. It was flattering - you've got a man in uniform and he fancies you.

"I felt a bit cocky - not everyone can say they've had an affair with a policeman.
and look at the head on the cunt. i guess woody is exonerated. i bet she didn't look like lili simmons though.

Having just re-watched this, the identity of the killer makes more sense to me now and is less of a disappoint. I still think the ending was rushed and a lot more could have been made of the cult conspiracy. Another two episodes to flesh out the conspiracy with the Tuttle’s would have been good. We didn’t even get to see Eddie Tuttle, the senator….

Does anyone here read James Lee Burke? His Dave Robicheaux books are similar in style, tone and content to True Detective. They’re set in Louisiana and feature messed up cops, serial killers, conspiracies involving rich Southern families and a hint of the supernatural. He’s the best crime writer in America at the moment.

James Lee Burke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yeah I've read a few of them. They're good but I found that every one follows pretty much the same narrative arc and it gets a bit predictable after a while. 50 pages in he does something reckless to provoke a psychopath/crime boss. Soon after he gets beaten up/tortured/nearly killed. Right after that he falls off the wagon and goes on a giant bender. He then gets his shit together and sorts things out. Having said that, he deserved a better film than the one that was eventually made. I can't remember what it was called but I think Nic Cage was in it??

Yeah I've read a few of them. They're good but I found that every one follows pretty much the same narrative arc and it gets a bit predictable after a while. 50 pages in he does something reckless to provoke a psychopath/crime boss. Soon after he gets beaten up/tortured/nearly killed. Right after that he falls off the wagon and goes on a giant bender. He then gets his shit together and sorts things out. Having said that, he deserved a better film than the one that was eventually made. I can't remember what it was called but I think Nic Cage was in it??
Yeah, the plots tend to follow the conventions of the crime genre but the beauty of the books isn’t in the plots, it’s in the characters and the sense of place. He writes about New Orleans better than any other author. Also, his villains tend to be amazing.

There’s been two films made of his Robicheaux books. Heaven’s Prisoners with Alec Baldwin as Robicheaux and In The Electric Mist with Tommy Lee Jones. Neither one did the books any justice but In The Electric Mist was the better of the two. There’s a wealth of great material in there for a TV show. The main challenge would be casting Robicheaux and Clete Purcell right.

His Holland family books are terrific as well.

Ah yeah, Heavens Prisoners is the one I was thinking of. Must watch the other one. Totally agree about his evocation of New Orleans.

Ah yeah, Heavens Prisoners is the one I was thinking of. Must watch the other one. Totally agree about his evocation of New Orleans.

It's not great. Tommy Lee Jones is wrong for the role.

I’m just reading his new one and he’s addressed the issue of an 84 year old Robicheaux scrapping henchmen a third his age because that was getting ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back