True Detective - HBO (1 Viewer)

There's an amazon link there to a book called "True Detection" , which is a collection of essays about True Detective, edited by Gary J. Shipley

There's an amazon link there to a book called "True Detection" , which is a collection of essays about True Detective, edited by Gary J. Shipley

It's not showing on my computer. I think I've read enough of other people's views on this show to reinforce my own opinion. Have you read this?
Amazon product ASIN 0751557056
It's not as good or as deep as True Detective but good to give you a fix until the next season starts.

It's not showing on my computer. I think I've read enough of other people's views on this show to reinforce my own opinion. Have you read this?
Amazon product ASIN 0751557056
It's not as good or as deep as True Detective but good to give you a fix until the next season starts.
To be honest, while I enjoyed True Detective I didn't think there was loads to it philosophically so I'm mainly curious to see what people are taking from it and usually a book of essays will be better written than some knee-jerk internet think-pieces.

I've been a fan of weird fiction/noir crime for a long time and it did bring that together for me in an interesting way for me. However, I do think the weird fiction and philosophical side of it is overplayed by the internet and its depths are more in how the story develops and how it deals with the horror of real life rather than in whether Cohle is the new Nietzsche or whatever.

I've been a fan of weird fiction/noir crime for a long time and it did bring that together for me in an interesting way for me. However, I do think the weird fiction and philosophical side of it is overplayed by the internet and its depths are more in how the story develops and how it deals with the horror of real life rather than in whether Cohle is the new Nietzsche or whatever.
Cool. Well if you care too put that in an extended essay i'll probably read it.

Finished this today. Tomorrow I'm going into Dunnes for a grey shirt, I have a black tie, into Eason for a black ledger, down Moore Street for 200 Camels and then into the most hipsterish offie I can find to ask if they do Lone Star beer.

Anyone read this yoke?

I might get it for the laugh

Amazon product ASIN 0692277374

I haven't read it but .... this book of essays is based on an event that took place last year in, believe it or not, the Generator Hostel in Smithfield. I mentioned before on this thread about this philosopher dude I know who was losing his shit over TD, well he was one of the speakers and organisers (amazon lists that guy Shipley as editor ... not true). It was quite a bizarre evening. It was supposed to be downstairs in a closed off room but ended up in the bar. So, you these people reading out these really obtuse papers, while all around them were confused backpackers trying to get the beers in. I can't really see the book being of much interest to anyone not well immersed in a whole range of pretty esoteric parts of contemporary philosophy (speculative realism, black metal theory, etc).

I haven't read it but .... this book of essays is based on an event that took place last year in, believe it or not, the Generator Hostel in Smithfield. I mentioned before on this thread about this philosopher dude I know who was losing his shit over TD, well he was one of the speakers and organisers (amazon lists that guy Shipley as editor ... not true). It was quite a bizarre evening. It was supposed to be downstairs in a closed off room but ended up in the bar. So, you these people reading out these really obtuse papers, while all around them were confused backpackers trying to get the beers in. I can't really see the book being of much interest to anyone not well immersed in a whole range of pretty esoteric parts of contemporary philosophy (speculative realism, black metal theory, etc).
Wow!

and hey, I could be interested in the esoteric parts of contemporary philosophy!

Ten years late but I just finished this series. Loved it. Definitely lived up to the hype.
Fascinating to learn that the ending borrowed heavily from Alan Moore's Top10 comic
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ten years late but I just finished this series. Loved it. Definitely lived up to the hype.
Fascinating to learn that the ending borrowed heavily from Alan Moore's Top10 comic
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Who’s the artist? It looks like Arthur Ranson?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back