"Thumped is for pricks these days" - Discuss (1 Viewer)

this is stemming off the other thread but is more appropriate to this one.

when i started posting on thumped i was as intimidated and bemused by the then kids/hope 'clique' as people are with the current TYM/ballroom 'clique'. a couple of times i said vaguely negative but constructive things about various bands/releases and people (including mr. self righteous andy - peace, don't mean to single you out) jumped down my throat. told me i had no right to criticise as 'what had i done/achieved' - i hadn't realeased anything/put on a gig etc. etc. so nothing's really changed except for the people posting. as i said on the other post, people that know each other aren't going to write negative stuff about each other on a public forum. and they're going to defend each other when someone else does. human nature and all that. people are just defensive of the work their mates have put in. its not all backslappery. there's very few big egos going around. when i went to the first thumped disco i literally knew no-one, last night i was in the lord edward with about 15 people i met through thumped. people that have all helped each other put on gigs and realease music etc. i'm amazed by all these people that complain about the backslappery yet still can't give anything more constructive than 'ye're shite' or similar and still come to read the board?!

also - i think this has led to Things getting associated with certain bands/people and that was never the idea. TYM is ideally meant to promote all quality independent irish music. it is non-profit and exists solely to assist people interested in the DIY ethos. the only 'clique' is those that run the thing. no different to hope/kids/amc etc etc very different to gigsmart or similar who are trying to make a (not so easy) buck off the backs of others. TYM actually distributes and sells cds at no cost to the band involved. (how saintly) but i was at the 'things' gig with TRM and Daemien Frost and bumped into someone i knew who said something like 'what do those things youre missing people think they're like? all holier than thou like "look at what you're missing"'(not knowing i was invovled in TYM). makes me want to chuck it all in.

mah - i'm not looking for sympathy/props here - i honestly think it's too late for things to dissociate itself from the way other people think of it already. but we'll keep pluggin away. i'd like to see it become more of a resource centre and keep the zine going and distance itself from the distro/stall slightly. but that's for another board really.

i'm just amazed that people can't see that nothing's changed around here except the usernames and thumped is as good as it always was for what its good for and as bad as it always was for what its bad for.

Originally posted by conor
(including mr. self righteous andy - peace, don't mean to single you out) jumped down my throat.

remind me of when i said what to you again?

andrew

ps - i don't think i'm particularly self rightious. i dunno if people who know me would agree or disagree with that. don't care too much. H - Pat called me pretentious which is kinda cooler, so i'd rather you called me that.

Originally posted by egg_
Slip up here dude - gigsmart don't make bucks out of anyone AFAIK
Apart from that I reckon you're pretty bang on

sorry gigsmart people - see, now i'm one of those pricks that didn't do their homework and go by half-truths they've been told.

from gigsmartireland.com:
Philosophy
The GigSmart initiative will be run by musicians and interested parties on a voluntary basis. No GigSmart activities will be run in an effort to gain profit for any single individual. All monies earned through gigs and promotional activities will be either distributed evenly to artists/bands involved or used to secure further promotion for the benefit of bands/artists under the initiative.

Originally posted by RAD-ALARM
remind me of when i said what to you again?

firstly i'd like to say i really amn't singling you out buh - this shit went on all the time. anyway, t'was a few things. the one that sticks out was when i said the tunes on the dudley corpo/paul o'reilly split didn't compliment each other, a fairly innocuous comment, and and you told me i could basically fuck off and release my own 7" with complimentary tunes on my own label. nice. ok so i'm petty. you're pretentious. i'm just saying that the same shit has been going on here for years but i'm not getting upset about it and whinging to pete. thumped was always for pricks. good ones and not so good ones.

Originally posted by conor
firstly i'd like to say i really amn't singling you out buh - this shit went on all the time. anyway, t'was a few things. the one that sticks out was when i said the tunes on the dudley corpo/paul o'reilly split didn't compliment each other, a fairly innocuous comment, and and you told me i could basically fuck off and release my own 7" with complimentary tunes on my own label. nice. ok so i'm petty. you're pretentious. i'm just saying that the same shit has been going on here for years but i'm not getting upset about it and whinging to pete. thumped was always for pricks. good ones and not so good ones.

aight - i don't actually remember any of that and probably couldn't even tell you what any of the songs on that 7 inch sound like, so it's probalby not worth losing any sleep over.

this whole "reflect on the message board - are we bad people?" stuff is sooo stupid. who actually cares?

andrew

this whole "reflect on the message board - are we bad people?" stuff is sooo stupid. who actually cares?

andrew

i know, but at least pete got some contructive feedback. its his money after all. fair fuchs to him.

aight - i don't actually remember any of that and probably couldn't even tell you what any of the songs on that 7 inch sound like, so it's probalby not worth losing any sleep over.

andrew

I care andy. I care.

And if i've learned anything it's that you shoudl be banned.

i thought we were friends, dammit.

Originally posted by pete
I care andy. I care.

And if i've learned anything it's that you shoudl be banned.

i thought we were friends, dammit.

put up those morphosis mp3s and stop being a stupid dicknose

andrew

Originally posted by Unregistered
andy, if you're going to talk shit thats absolutely fine.
but if you're trying to be funny, try harder.
now go and slag off morello again.

peace out faggot,
unregistered.

i officially retire from posting. my shit has been called.

andrew

i officially retire from posting. my shit has been called.
Liar - you wrote that post you were quoting just to give you an excuse to slag Morello again.

Let us not forget..
morellorocks.jpg

which is possibly the funniest thing I've seen on Thumped.

Originally posted by lorcanzo
this thread is getting to be less about what it was orginally about and more about sniping from the grassy, unregistered knoll.

Would it be any better / worse if the same things were said by people who have signed up?

Originally posted by lorcanzo
i think this unregistered stuff encourages people to take potshots..

Ah, still, there's a lot of honest, genuine stuff being said here that you wouldn't normally get on the other boards. A lot of truths coming out. Plus, it makes for more entertaining reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back