Thumped.com Christmas Extravaganza! (1 Viewer)

Going to THE Christmas Party?

• Ringalingalinga ding dong ding.

Votes: 39 92.9%
  • Bah Humbug.

Votes: 3 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Someone's getting a tape, i have none of this fancy cd burning stuff you folks seem to have. I hope whoever gets the tape likes it, although if you like your music loud and guitar shaped you probably won't.

mmmmm. i've got to do mine too. haven't a clue what i'll put on it. maybe some charlotte church tunes...seeing as it's the season and all.

Originally posted by pete
i can't believe only 32 people have said they're going.

No offence guys (that sounds very “Real World”) but if I was a complete stranger who heard about the Thumped thing, then took a read of these boards, I probably wouldn’t go too because I’d be put off by all the apparent clique-ness and injokes.

Granted a lot of you know each other and it’s a lot of fun to talk to each other over the boards, but recently it seems Thumped.com has become more and more just a message board for a few friends, rather than a message board for people in Ireland or wherever interested in music.

Of course I’m just a lurker who isn’t adding to anything, so maybe I should quit my whining. Ironically I went to the last Thumped thing in Bodkins and I didn't know anybody and some total strangers came up and talked to me, which was really surprising given the vibe (it's a good word!) I get off the boards.

PS, my mix CD is going to be the best ever. No contest.

-Thayl

i'm glad you said "apparent" clique....

I think that the impression of a clique comes not so much from any deliberate exclusion of outsiders, but from people who post a lot - just the sheer volume of stuff generated daily can be pretty overwhelming to take in.

I just checked the stats, and in the last 24 hours 90 separate registered user accounts have accessed the boards, along with I don't know how many guest users.... I mean, I don't think i know 90 people in the real world, never mind on the interweb.

Which reminds me - I got some new stats stuff installed about 2 months ago. According to it, during the month of November 391,246 message board pages were displayed. So far in December its 236,874. (You can check it out for yerselves at http://209.204.240.222/webalizer/)

That was all pretty irrelevant. I guess i'm just saying that there's a lot more people using these boards than actually post here. Or something.

ps Nobody talk to this guy on Wednesday.

I agree, I think it can be pretty overwhelming, there's a lot of activity and there is a definite core group of people who post here regularly that give off the aura of a clique, i think for the most part the board can be tough for people to get to grips with, like pete said there's a huge amount of stuff that goes on which can be really tough to keep up with. Personally i've never felt threatened by the percieved clique mentality, i think i've met about 7 people who've ever posted here(3 of them at the piss up - kirstie,old and dudley) and the other 4 or so are people i don't see on a regular basis. But i've never gotten the impression of people being intentionally nasty to me, or trying to exclude me in any way. The simple fact is that the reason there seems to be a clique is because most people who post here have a vaguely similar taste in music and a good lot of you are in bands and just become friendly that way. I don't think thumped is as insular as folks perceive it, and it's just unfortunate that people perceive it that way.

Yip, I agree with Ed and Thayl. There does seem to be some "apparent" clique between certain groups on the board but I guess that's inevitable with the Dublin scene being quite small and i'm sure the last two thumped get-togethers have lead to even more acquaintances between board members. I wasn't able to attend the previous thumped parties due to being out of the country but it seems that they have generated closer relationships between certain members. Relations close enough that insults can easily be disregarded.

As Ed said, people's perception of thumped as insular is unfortunate. Thayl, you probably witnessed the complete opposite of this at the last thumped party when total strangers came up to you. People can act like assholes here but everyone (or I hope) is nice in person. As Herv has said before, he finds it off putting when people are assholes on the board and then are suddenly nice in the real world. I fell the same. What's the point in letting on to be someone completely different than if you were face to face with that person?

I don't know any of the members in person but I'm gonna go along on wednesday night. I guess it'll be a little daunting trying to socialize with people you don't know but hey, that's life.

Thayl, don't mind Pete, I'll talk to you!

Just don't try to get into the VIP room if you don't have your clique membership card.

Originally posted by enchance
............I don't know any of the members in person but I'm gonna go along on wednesday night. I guess it'll be a little daunting trying to socialize with people you don't know but hey, that's life.

Thayl, don't mind Pete, I'll talk to you!

Hey Enchance, you seem like a fairly reasonable guy. Alot of stuff does seem cliquey here, alot of people here do have really similar tastes in music, and hence gather in a way. But thats fine. You could meet someone here who is into music just as wierd as your own taste, and end up becoming good mates. This happened to me, its really quite strange to meet someone who really interesting and full of good ideas, over the net. What an age we live in! Anyway, I'll talk nee bother. Lookin forward to meeting more people ;)

i dunno.....i've been to 2 thumped thingies and i think that once everyone gets a few shandies into them, there doesn't seem to be any sort of cliqueyness going down.
and people are a lot nicer in real life than they are here.
honestly.
for example, i spoke to hector gay for the first time at the last party in bodkins.
i had previously thought he was a stupid cunt, but like, it turns out he isn't, and we are "friends" now*.

*don't think for one fucking second that we are friends hector. i'm just illustrating a point.

if there is a clique, it's the clique of those with regular webternet access more than anything else, as far as i can see...

Originally posted by lorcanzo
hey speedy i'm gonna print out your most insane posts and give them to you on wednesday for you to justify....!*

*equalise between margins like...

No man.......don't do that, man....haven't you learned anything? This should just be a night of drinking and sillyness, particularily dancewise....who brings printouts to a party?

Dilbert?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back