There are two new Prince albums coming out in a few days (1 Viewer)

@Lili Marlene - where do you stand on I Wish You Heaven? Heard it on the radio last night and was nodding my head.

Prince - I Wish U Heaven | Video Musique | Wat.tv
Ah it's great! Has a proper video as well, a rarity for his cheap 80's vids. It's a pity it's so forgotten.

It's another one he released as a mental 10 minute version as a single:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

bit of a laugh though (y)

Ah it's great! Has a proper video as well, a rarity for his cheap 80's vids. It's a pity it's so forgotten.

It's another one he released as a mental 10 minute version as a single:

bit of a laugh though (y)

Excellent!

Prince is such a dick

He was getting ready to fly to Australia

here is is jamming away on his piano

lol

There's a lot of truth in that article, there's also a lot of cherrypicking and ignoring things he said to suit the argument, exactly what she is accusing white fans of doing.

Not to mention massive race generalisations like Black fans have more love for Prince’s 1990s catalog, um yeah sure, what you actually mean is current 23 year olds like me love 90s music because we weren't around for it

or

Prince mostly ignored 90s alt-rock in favour of 90s New Jack Swing and RnB ballads, which were marketed towards a certain demographic.

but it is true that he became much louder about race issues from 1990 onwards, and to the frustration of many a white man, didn't get mad into, I dunno, Husker Du, and do a punk album.

Being a famous black man in America must really fuck you up

Last edited:
TBH i felt a bit 'seen' by it. I think i've even bought the mixed race parents thing and all.
Been thinking about this, trying to work out what bugged me about the above article so much, I think it's the blatant separation of people into black and white fans, in a fucking race war of fandom; but I suppose as an Irish person they're barely even including me in this, it's almost an entirely US-centric discussion.

But up on my feed popped some very white (english) critics opining as fact that Prince did nothing of worth after 1987 because he wasn't listening to enough Radiohead:

Maybe he would have heard Kid A and entered a musical arms race with Radiohead, like Lennon and McCartney did with Wilson There could have been an Appalachian folk album, or a twinkling Americana period. He could have teamed up with Jack White to rip out some raw blues or dragged hip-hop into new territories.

Literally, "why didn't Prince listen to more music by white people"?

The Quietus | Features | Anniversary | Memories Of Genius: 40 Years On Prince's Dirty Mind Revisited

A very well written piece that sums up the standard critical consensus on his career can be found in the London Review of Books and is well worth a read despite it's blatent, wilful inability to comprehend that Prince wasn't interested in following (white) critic trends:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back