There are two new Prince albums coming out in a few days (1 Viewer)

What was he supposed to do for the 12 or so years between 1987 to kid a? Is The Rainbow Children Prince's Kid A?
Listen to grunge and britpop I guess

and then go through a brief Jon Spencer Blues Explosion period before finally deciding that At the Drive-In and Refused were the future of purple funk.

What does a Kid A album constitute? Rainbow Children might be it, yeah.

The official ones are worth a listen for the non-obsessive, yeah. Would recommend the recent Sign O the Times series on it.

The official ones are worth a listen for the non-obsessive, yeah. Would recommend the recent Sign O the Times series on it.
thanks, I spotted that one and it caught my eye alright. I only started listening to podcasts about a month ago. I find them great for helping you get back to sleep when you wake up in the night. This is going on the list. I am also going to listen to Price now. Bye.

Been thinking about this, trying to work out what bugged me about the above article so much, I think it's the blatant separation of people into black and white fans, in a fucking race war of fandom; but I suppose as an Irish person they're barely even including me in this, it's almost an entirely US-centric discussion.

But up on my feed popped some very white (english) critics opining as fact that Prince did nothing of worth after 1987 because he wasn't listening to enough Radiohead:

Maybe he would have heard Kid A and entered a musical arms race with Radiohead, like Lennon and McCartney did with Wilson There could have been an Appalachian folk album, or a twinkling Americana period. He could have teamed up with Jack White to rip out some raw blues or dragged hip-hop into new territories.

Literally, "why didn't Prince listen to more music by white people"?

The Quietus | Features | Anniversary | Memories Of Genius: 40 Years On Prince's Dirty Mind Revisited

A very well written piece that sums up the standard critical consensus on his career can be found in the London Review of Books and is well worth a read despite it's blatent, wilful inability to comprehend that Prince wasn't interested in following (white) critic trends:

The algorythms over at the guardian are reading thumped no doubt

Decent watch for how Prince wrote Sign O the Times @ann post I know you like these things

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

very glossy and obviously a bit too uncritical (prince is amazing at everything in all ways at all times!!!), but still good

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back