There are two new Prince albums coming out in a few days (1 Viewer)

Was on bbc 4 last night. Started off promising, but got a bit crap in fairness. Needed more Prince footage, showed a tiny bit of him working out design/choreography for the stage of one of the big 90s style tours. Needed more of that and more talking to people that have played with him.

He seems to just wonder about melting faces these days...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was on bbc 4 last night. Started off promising, but got a bit crap in fairness. Needed more Prince footage, showed a tiny bit of him working out design/choreography for the stage of one of the big 90s style tours. Needed more of that and more talking to people that have played with him.
Just watching it now, after the One Nation Under Groove documentary, will let everyone know what my unasked for opinion on this is now in a bit

Yeah, not great. Covers up to purple rain fairly ok and pretty much falls apart after that. Agree there's far too much fawning in it, only his (and James Brown's!) old manager, Alan Leeds, seemed willing to criticise him. Actually, the complete lack of anyone interviewed who has worked with him after he locked himself away in Paisley Park and started making employees sign non disclosure contracts is the most telling thing really. And like a lot of not great music documentaries it kind of worked on the assumption that you already think he's a genius.

I think his story is hard to tell because it's been going on so long and he hasn't died, retired or generally fucked off to spend his days looking at his fortune and doing retrospective album shows, so we still don't know how it's gonna end. It's a pity, there's a lot that can be said - both positive and negative, about his relationship with pop music, the black community, artistry, the music industry, sex and religion... all the things that make a good story.

I think his story is hard to tell because it's been going on so long and he hasn't died, retired or generally fucked off to spend his days looking at his fortune and doing retrospective album shows, so we still don't know how it's gonna end. It's a pity, there's a lot that can be said - both positive and negative, about his relationship with pop music, the black community, artistry, the music industry, sex and religion... all the things that make a good story.

I'm going to PM you a good story I was told.

Actually almost all the decent footage on that documentary was taken from a great BBC Omnibus documentary from 1991 that can be found via this link

http://www.soulhead.com/2012/06/07/prince-of-the-magnoli-files-documentary-rare/

there's two smaller mini documentaries after the main one in that link, worth it to see Miles Davis telling us that if you don't like Prince it's because white people just don't get this stuff.

LOL Prince

@george mcfly

Does Prince’s Secret Vault of Unreleased Music Really Exist, and if so, What's in It? | VICE | United Kingdom

I have to say, getting a hold of Prince was hugely difficult. It's probably worth me telling you that I've been in touch with Prince's PR company for ages, and they weren't very helpful. The requests would go around in a circle. Once, every couple of months, I would call up and say, "We're doing this documentary. I want to know about Prince's availability. Is there any way we can interview 3rdEyeGirl, the current band, or Prince? Maybe I'd get a response back in two weeks saying, "We've put this request forward."

When things really started moving and I went into full-time production, the first interview I got was with Matt Fink, the keyboard player for the Revolution. He plays that famous riff on "1999." A few days later, the PR company emails me one line—this is after six months of me being in touch—and the one line is, "Hey, Mobeen, who have you got signed up to do this documentary?" And I'm thinking, OK, do I tell them? Because at this point I've spoken to, I think, six or seven people and the only two who have really signed up are Cat and Matt Fink. So I think I don't want to mention Cat. I'll just test the water and say I'm speaking to Matt Fink and a host of other Prince associates and protégés. Within 24 hours, Matt Fink emailed me and says, "Hey, Prince's lawyers have been in touch. I can't do the interview. Take care. Bye."

There's a new Prince album out next week! This one appears to be on Tidal and maybe Virgin, which would mean he'll have released albums on every major label. Well done Prince.

An interesting, if a little bit sycophantic, interview here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This new album is fairly rubbish. That article gave me the wrong idea about it altogether. The last two songs are nice enough.
I've listened twice, I kind of like it but I'm fairly fatigued with all the modrin sounds by the end of it.

Not getting better, getting worse in fact. ah well... there'll be another one in a few weeks probably

Art Official Age is at least sounding even better than a year ago

Another new album there on Saturday, @Shaney? have you listened to it? Horn heavy, little going on in terms of digital soundscapes or dub-step drops.

It's more of of a playlist than a new album considering 50% has been released already in one form or the other, but it's a decent listen. Some serious shite on it as well of course though.

Last edited:
Another new album there on Saturday, @Shaney? have you listened to it? Horn heavy, little going on in terms of digital soundscapes or dub-step drops.

It's more of of a playlist than a new album considering 50% has been released already in one form or the other, but it's a decent listen. Some serious shite on it as well of course though.
I have not listened, I might or might not. I don't know why I bother at this stage*, I've liked about 6 songs of his from the last 25 years,

* I do know, it's because I went to the the bother of listening to all of his albums a few years ago and I experience a perverse need to keep going with it (even though I only ever listened to about half of LOtUSFLOW3R)

It's true, you don't like the One Nite Alone title track which is worth all the WTF's I can muster on thumped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back