The Thumped Motoring Forum (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 88K
  • Watchers 10
Mine is sorted again..for now.

My usual mechanic had fitted a battery connector cable with a red sleeve to the earth terminal a while back. Red , as you know usually means "live". The guy I brought it to yesterday changed it because he said there was a real danger of blowing the alternator if you went to charge it and connected to the wrong terminals.

It makes me wonder if the guy's last week had to jump start the car. I had noticed unusual hand marks on the back, as if someone had pushed the car, but I guess I'll never know.

Yes, I know, no need to cite Occam's Razor.

A fine, sturdy gatepost. You can bet it wasn't some drunken paddy galahs that built that.

c35f2d48ac06e4ddcbbe6f76e0ae8a.gif

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another week, another breakdown. Luckily it conked out about 5 minutes from a mate who is a mechanic and I got it going for long enough to get to him. Turned out to be an issue with the throttle cable and the accelerator pedal. So a bit of tightening and all good again.
Everyone is at me to bite the bullet and get a modern Japanese car. But on the way to work today I stopped for a Lollipop lady, and all the kids smiled and waved at the guy with the cool car. You don't get that with a Yaris.

Another week, another breakdown. Luckily it conked out about 5 minutes from a mate who is a mechanic and I got it going for long enough to get to him. Turned out to be an issue with the throttle cable and the accelerator pedal. So a bit of tightening and all good again.
Everyone is at me to bite the bullet and get a modern Japanese car. But on the way to work today I stopped for a Lollipop lady, and all the kids smiled and waved at the guy with the cool car. You don't get that with a Yaris.
Maybe do an apprenticeship with a mechanic and then you can solve all your own car problems?

Maybe do an apprenticeship with a mechanic and then you can solve all your own car problems?
That's not a bad idea. I tried a night class once, but it was just a guy handing out A4 photocopies of stuff I could get off the internet and we never even got to put our hands on an engine. Useless.

That's not a bad idea. I tried a night class once, but it was just a guy handing out A4 photocopies of stuff I could get off the internet and we never even got to put our hands on an engine. Useless.
I tried to do a mechanics course through FAS when I was on the dole a few years ago but it wasn't running at the time. Useless fucking organisation.

I wonder if a part -time course in general car mechanics would be worthwhile? It strikes me as something you'd need to be doing every day in order to learn it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back