[Nov 14, 2015] The Mountain Goats (Whelan's) (1 Viewer)

Another Button Factory gig - Nov 20th 2019.

I saw them in Whelans in 2011 & 2015. Even though I had a far better spot at the 2015 gig, I found it a bit underwhelming because a) For his solo acoustic bit mid set he played the exact same "songs for the hardcore fans" as he did in 2011 and b) He played "The Boys Are Back In Town" *again* as he had done in 2011 at the end of the set... just seemed like a wasted opportunity with lots of the same songs played again, especially given the size of The Mountain Goats' back catalogue.

So I decided to give the 2017 Button Factory gig a miss. Then I saw he played 'Store' and 'Masher' in the solo acoustic bit... gah! Played The Young Thousands elsewhere that night too.

So I'm torn as to whether to go to this latest one. Would involve me driving for 4+ hours.

Did anyone go to The Button Factory 2017 gig? How'd it compare to the Whelan's ones? Because I think this new gig is the same setup as 2017 (a duo)
I've twice flown a 6000 mile round trip to see them so 4 hours seems like small beans. the 2015 solo set was a misstep alright but a minor one. last gig was brilliant, even though it was just the duo. young thousands isn't one of my favourite songs but was maybe the highlight of the gig. in short, go. or come.

I've twice flown a 6000 mile round trip to see them

Bloody hell. Yeah, I really should go to this I guess!

I *love* The Young Thousands... that line "The ghosts that haunt your building..." chills!

That whole album We Shall All Be Healed was my gateway drug to TmG. Remember hearing Palmcorder Yajna on 6 Music - it just seared out of the radio and had me utterly converted. All Hail West Texas remains my fav though.

I'll admit that I only started listening to them because of the Best Show connection however I loved the 2011 whelan's gig. I really enjoyed the next whelan's one. I was sorry to see that the last Button Factory gig was without John W but it was fantastic even though I only knew a handful of songs. Very much looking forward to the next one.

Spent a good chunk of today listening to them (We Shall All Be Healed, Transcendent Youth and the West Texas one). This was prompted by stumbling on a vinyl copy of WSABH that had forgotten I owned. Anyway, really really good. But Jaysus .. maybe this has been mentioned before .... but Neutral Milk Hotel owe them big-time.

Spent a good chunk of today listening to them (We Shall All Be Healed, Transcendent Youth and the West Texas one). This was prompted by stumbling on a vinyl copy of WSABH that had forgotten I owned. Anyway, really really good. But Jaysus .. maybe this has been mentioned before .... but Neutral Milk Hotel owe them big-time.
All those albums came out way after the NMH albums!

I would be interested to see if there was a back and forth and the time though. Mangum seemed to have painted himself into a corner with the big NMH album while Mountain Goats have gone from strength to strength.

All those albums came out way after the NMH albums!

I would be interested to see if there was a back and forth and the time though. Mangum seemed to have painted himself into a corner with the big NMH album while Mountain Goats have gone from strength to strength.

The first time I heard of NMH was when The Mountain Goats did a cover of "Two Headed Boy", think it was on a bootleg though, maybe around 1999/2000?

Got my timelines totally wrong there ... thought MGs were way before that NMH album.

tMG and NMH were early/mid-90s peers. e.g. both appeared on the Pre-Phylloxera Years 7" in 1993. But tMG were more prolific up to 97/98 (Full Force Galesburg/Aeroplane} so arguably influenced Mangum through those years and have continued to work hard and get better since.

When I ponder the big NMH "what if" question, tMG are the logical counterweight.

John Darnielle is Big Boi (prolific, high quality, always improving his craft)

Jeff Mangum is Andre 3000 (One album anyone cares about, very occasional guest or public appearance and the crowd goes wild, hasn't actually done anything of note in a long long time, gets all the praise)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back