The Thumped Members Wishing Each Other Happy Christmas Thread (3 Viewers)

sorry John. People wanna talk about this stuff

no worries, I posted this picture in travel that deserves to be seen by all

500x_4143889119_13755e08e4_o.jpg

I'm gonna look at it until I feel christmassy (december 13th)

Thank you that's the word for it.

I just want fuck all to do with it and I can't because "it's a fucking time for fucking family init" Fuck it.

That's why I always preferred Thanksgiving minus the we stole your land bit (sorry I'm American) because it was ONE day and no presents are required. It's let's all get together since we live apart, have a good meal and chat.

*I just deleted a big rant.

well, can you all feel it?

Its like this certain something magical in the air. It wasn't there yesterday. Just today. The only explanation for it is the magic of xmas.

and noddy holder is on one of the music channels doing his 50 festive hits.

and the magic channel too.

I don't see cops at the traffic lights though. Is there no freeflow this year?

ahhhhh, christmas. Load of bollox.

so some people's problem with christmas is you are obliged to spend a few days with your family out of a whole year?

so some people's problem with christmas is you are obliged to spend a few days with your family out of a whole year?

no. Its that you are obliged to do so and be happy, even if you're not happy. And if you're not happy at xmas (and lets face it, most people aren't), its like you're some kind of leper.

And its all about excess. I'd imagine this year will be the hardest xmas of them all, with so many people out of work, etc.

Its a horrible time of year, and so far from the ideal image of xmas that gets painted everywhere.

Good for you if you enjoy it and its typically a good time. Its not that way for everyone though.

and it brings out the worst in people.

People get all jovial and nice and christmassy, even though they're utter fuckheads the rest of the year round.

But their joviality and niceness and christmassyness doesn't extend to anyone beyond their shit selves.

Edit: Not all people - just fuckheads

I :heart: shopping, especially shopping for other people
I :heart: Christmas songs because they remind me of being a kid
I :heart: seeing my parents and the cat
I :heart: Christmas lights
I :heart: food
As of this year, I :heart: swimming in the sea and having hot whiskey afterwards

:heart::heart::heart:

fair enough. valid reasons scutter. i guess i'm thinking of people who don't seem to have any particular reason to hate crimbo other than they seem to like being miserable and never actually trying to enjoy themselves. they expect it to be shit and it invariably is.

I :heart: shopping, especially shopping for other people
I :heart: Christmas songs because they remind me of being a kid
I :heart: seeing my parents and the cat
I :heart: Christmas lights
I :heart: food
As of this year, I :heart: swimming in the sea and having hot whiskey afterwards

:heart::heart::heart:

liadainod.gif

i'll + rep you for that though

they expect it to be shit and it invariably is.

that's more of a new years thing IMHO.

"AAAWWWW it's crap, it's always crap, new years is never fun"

and low and behold

things i wub about crimbo:

sculling cans at home late into the night crimbo eve watching shite tv
big fuck off turkeys with all the trimmings
turkey and spiced beef dinners all week
stephens day piss up in cork
putting up the tree and decorations with my folks
seeing foreign friends returned for a few days of craic

And its all about excess. I'd imagine this year will be the hardest xmas of them all, with so many people out of work, etc.

I'm thinking that make this a better Christmas... maybe more family oriented.

I avoid obligation at all costs. I find my bobbing and weaving of commitment is getting more pronounced with each new year. It’s just not Christmas, it’s any sense of false gratitude being owed. Christmas just seems to go that one step beyond that promotes dread each year.

Gifts, I hate them. Not only do they make me feel completely uncomfortable but they usually depress me. I’d be more of a giver than a receiver. In fact, I love giving gifts and doing nice things for people but I hate the fact it’s dictated by a day. Generally this means buying a lot crap (because there are so many to buy for) that people don’t want because you’re obligated to or buying something off some damn list someone has made up. My thought, save your money on buying me something and use it just to buy yourself something off your list. Happier all around. Plus there is nothing more depressing than getting a gift that shows the person doesn’t know you at all. Yeah, I know it’s the thought that counts but if that’s the case give money to a charity in my name instead of crap smelling lotions I’ll never use and will end up in a bin.

I’m not a parent but I hate watching the stress my parents, siblings, and friends go through to keep their kids happy. I’m not saying I was the perfect child but I was no where near as materialistic and greedy as kids these days. I know it’s the parenting and not all are that way but Christmas just magnifies the unseemly consumerism. To see a kid open a toy and throw it aside knowing what that adult had to do to get it makes me sick to my stomach. It also annoys me because that adult has usually been in a grumpy mood because of all that stress and the enjoyment last about 2 seconds of unwrapping.

Obligation that I have to go home during the most expensive and dangerous time to travel just because it’s a holiday. So I have to either feel guilty by not going or spend extra money to get home, just to spend more money on crap and then haul back more crap I received (that I didn’t ask for) and have to feel guilty about getting rid of it or having it sit in the bottom of my closet. It’s a never ending cycle of fake smiles, time tables and thank yous.

If Christmas were about getting together with your family, having a nice meal, a bottle of wine and some good conversation, I’d love it just like Thanksgiving. It’s just not that way in my world. That said, since moving here my attitude has changed a bit. Christmas has a bit more of a genuine family feel to it. I spent some lovely days with a family who sing and have a more laid back jovial time.

This year I choosing guilt and not going home. My plan involves, watching lots of DVDs, baking tons of bread and cookies, drinking a few bottles of wine in my flat and feeding the ducks in Bushy Park. It might be the best Christmas ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back