The talking about Arsenal FC thread (3 Viewers)

Club's CEO is doing a Q&A with some fans groups this evening. He seems to have said that Wenger will be signing a contract extension soon. Not sure how to feel about that, I'd prefer to see how the coming season goes and if progress is made then give him a new one, if not then don't renew and allow him to leave as it expires.

Club's CEO is doing a Q&A with some fans groups this evening. He seems to have said that Wenger will be signing a contract extension soon. Not sure how to feel about that, I'd prefer to see how the coming season goes and if progress is made then give him a new one, if not then don't renew and allow him to leave as it expires.

Contrary to seemingly everyone else, I don't think it's all Wengers fault that Arsenal have been under achieving. I think they had a blip, fair enough. But the club didn't do him any favours, they wouldn't pony up the cash to build on what they had, then they lost three of the best players at the club in one go. That's really down to the chairman as far as I can see. I don't think any manager in his position could have dealt any better with the situation.

Now that he's settled the ship and has a few bob they should be on the rise. I guess the question is who do you replace him with ?

If he gets the money to spend and he signs a centre half, Fellani and one "play anywhere" type to fill in the gaps, Like what Eboue used to do or what Phil Jones does for United then they'll be a threat again. I think Giroud, Podolski and Walcott have a bunch of goals in them, they scored 54 goals between them last season, not a bad return for their collective first season together. Their midfield is Solid and will be even more solid with Fellani in it. It's just a matter of getting the back 4 sorted, so if they spend big, it has to be on 2 or 3 good versatile defenders. I'd give him until he hands in his list of targets and then make a decision based on that.

If I was the CEO and he asked me for £30 mil to buy Wayne Rooney I'd give him his P45 there and then.

Contrary to seemingly everyone else, I don't think it's all Wengers fault that Arsenal have been under achieving. I think they had a blip, fair enough. But the club didn't do him any favours, they wouldn't pony up the cash to build on what they had, then they lost three of the best players at the club in one go. That's really down to the chairman as far as I can see. I don't think any manager in his position could have dealt any better with the situation.

Now that he's settled the ship and has a few bob they should be on the rise. I guess the question is who do you replace him with ?

If he gets the money to spend and he signs a centre half, Fellani and one "play anywhere" type to fill in the gaps, Like what Eboue used to do or what Phil Jones does for United then they'll be a threat again. I think Giroud, Podolski and Walcott have a bunch of goals in them, they scored 54 goals between them last season, not a bad return for their collective first season together. Their midfield is Solid and will be even more solid with Fellani in it. It's just a matter of getting the back 4 sorted, so if they spend big, it has to be on 2 or 3 good versatile defenders. I'd give him until he hands in his list of targets and then make a decision based on that.

If I was the CEO and he asked me for £30 mil to buy Wayne Rooney I'd give him his P45 there and then.

I certainly don't put the blame for our lack of trophies at Wenger's door. The whole no trophies in 8 years thing looks bad but it isn't like things have always been the way they have been in the past two seasons where we've been utterly out of the race from the start, there were 2 seasons in particular when the team made a really good tilt at the title but fell short at the end; the season that Eduardo got his leg mangled and then the year that Fergie won the league the second last time where a total collapse in April meant that we conspired to finish 4th in a 2 horse race for the title.

At the same time he has made errors over the years, but I'd never advocate sacking him. My concern is that under the constraints he's been operating under he may have become settled in the mindset that where we've been finishing of late is good enough and now that we're in a position to back him with money and signings I just hope that he's ready to really go for it in terms of getting the club back to where the fans want it to be. I'd love nothing more for him to sign a new deal and lead the club into a new successful era, but if he can't the fact that his current contract ends in 2014 gives both parties a way out that lets him leave with the dignity that he deserves after all that he's done for the club.

As for who I'd replace him with: An off the top of my head shortlist; Klopp, De Boer is doing well at Ajax, Laudrup looks like he's going to do well in management, and before he took the City job I'd have said Pellegrini as well.

And one out of left field but who I think would do a good job, Andre Villas Boas.

I certainly don't put the blame for our lack of trophies at Wenger's door. The whole no trophies in 8 years thing looks bad but it isn't like things have always been the way they have been in the past two seasons where we've been utterly out of the race from the start, there were 2 seasons in particular when the team made a really good tilt at the title but fell short at the end; the season that Eduardo got his leg mangled and then the year that Fergie won the league the second last time where a total collapse in April meant that we conspired to finish 4th in a 2 horse race for the title.

At the same time he has made errors over the years, but I'd never advocate sacking him. My concern is that under the constraints he's been operating under he may have become settled in the mindset that where we've been finishing of late is good enough and now that we're in a position to back him with money and signings I just hope that he's ready to really go for it in terms of getting the club back to where the fans want it to be. I'd love nothing more for him to sign a new deal and lead the club into a new successful era, but if he can't the fact that his current contract ends in 2014 gives both parties a way out that lets him leave with the dignity that he deserves after all that he's done for the club.

As for who I'd replace him with: An off the top of my head shortlist; Klopp, De Boer is doing well at Ajax, Laudrup looks like he's going to do well in management, and before he took the City job I'd have said Pellegrini as well.

And one out of left field but who I think would do a good job, Andre Villas Boas.

He's been in a fairly impossible position lately though and he kind of still is. When Van Persi, Nasri and Fabregas were there the problem was they had no defense, last season he was accused of no having replaced those players properly, next season he still needs to overhaul the defense and no matter who he signs he'll stil be accused of not having replaced RVP and Fabregas. It's lose lose for the poor bastard.

Aw man. I'd hoped Liverpool would buy him so I could finally get a shirt with my name on the back. My gooner girlfriend will love this if it happens. Shit.

Plus he looks like a class act. Arsenal for all the talk still haven't done anything promising in the transfer market, this would be a great start.

Plus he looks like a class act. Arsenal for all the talk still haven't done anything promising in the transfer market, this would be a great start.

2 ins, a 20 year old from the French second division and a 15/16 year old English lad from Villa (who, in fairness to him looks super at that level) but yeah, neither of them should be bothering the first team in a month. I'd be cheesed off about it but United and Chelsea (Schurrle aside, and I'm not sure how he fits into their team right now) haven't done much either. City have bought well, I think they made a good call on buying what seemed to be everyone's second choice, Jovetic.

Best transfer business of the summer looks to have been done by mid-tier clubs; Norwich, Sunderland, Swansea and Southampton should all be better this year. For your lot Aspas could be a good buy, Mignolet is.

It is interesting how England seems not to be attracting the top European players anymore. I would have thought with the TV money this would be a bonanza year.

It is interesting how England seems not to be attracting the top European players anymore. I would have thought with the TV money this would be a bonanza year.

Have they ever really, aside from Shevchenko, Veron and maybe Desailly, attracted bona fide superstar players at peak age on a regular basis?

It's usually younger players who grow into stars, or older ones on the way down. English clubs have signed some really top class players in the last few years like Silva and Mata but I get the impression that they only went to England because Barcelona and Real can't buy everyone so they passed on them.

As I said the mid-table clubs have bought well, I imagine that the new TV deal is having an impact there, Norwich must have far more cash than Levante who finished in the same position in Spain.

It's funny alright. you'd think that Liverpool and Spurs would be hurting, what with not being in the Champions League and what have you, but United and Arsenal are suffering just as much. They're just pretending that they're in for a higher calibre of player. What gives?

Maybe they're all just holding out for Paul McShane to put in a transfer request?
If this were true, they'd have swooped before he signed his new deal a couple of weeks ago, and got him for free, which is frankly still too much. I think you're just being facetious, Cormac. That isn't like you at all. Is something up? Not enough attention at home? Exam pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back