the ryanair rant thread (5 Viewers)

Where you headed to? I'll see if i can find a different route for ya.

Bristol, tomorrow, for ATP, too late to make changes now.

Anyway, as I've said before about Ryanair, you get what you pay for... but that was before I realised they'd pulled this cabin baggage stunt. Haven't flown with them for a few years so it was a bit of a shock to discover that the bag I took with me in the cabin of 30 or 40 ryanair flights before is suddenly a few cm too big.

check out the ferries, it's £58 RETURN rail and sail from norwich to dublin. i think it's only £27 dublin to london. and that's a fixed price, which is horribly rare in this era of bullshit privatised public transport. to bristol would presumably be cheap as fuck (for next time anyway).
in this weather you may have to witness some hurling from the less intestinally strong passengers though.

Maybe it's just on flights to mainland Europe then. Friends who flew to France and Latvia recently were complaining about the awful treatment some people were receiving because their bags didn't fit easily into the frame.

I still think it is incredibly cheeky to mandate a smaller-than-standard size.

Re ferries, they're great, and I love travelling by sea, but they're not very practical if you've only got a limited amount of time available to spend travelling.

Re ferries, they're great, and I love travelling by sea, but they're not very practical if you've only got a limited amount of time available to spend travelling.

's true. it's a great way to transport a load of crap though (such as me bringing the latest chapters of my book and rock collections back to my parents' house) because of no baggage restrictions. had an email from my mum recently saying she'd like me to clear the rubbish out of my room over christmas but i don't know what she means because all that's in there is books and rocks, all of which are absolutely necessary.

On the way back from Bristol last week a guy from Ryan air walked up and down the queue looking at peoples bags, didn't say anything to anyone though. Guessing if it isn't huge they'll let it slide.
Saying that, I did panic a little over the size of mine and moved around as he the guy was walking, so he could never get a good view of my bag.

How did you get on with the bags then? I'm flying stanstead to dublin with them in about a week. Should i be nervous?

I was on the same flight as Riath coming back. I brought that cabin case that was a bit too big for Ryanair and was fine. They didn't ask me to check the size. But I did hear a few ladies saying that they'd seen people being hassled.

If your bag is almost the correct size you'll probably be fine. But I have still heard nasty stories.

Hopefully you'll be grand RSJ.

Fingers crossed! I should be alright, there'll only be clothes in the bag so it's squish-able and worst case scenario, i can always just put them on over my other clothes.

i remember coming back from somewhere and ending up in england. lots of hash with me and fuck all else.and having the most pain in the arse arguments with ryanair staff for around 4 hours. it was only when i lost the head that i got anywhere. fuckheads

Spoke to a business man in the airport last night who said ryanair have been checking carry on luggage from dublin to cork every time he's been through there recently. So eh, heads up.

Spoke to a business man in the airport last night who said ryanair have been checking carry on luggage from dublin to cork every time he's been through there recently. So eh, heads up.

I always fly Aer Arann from Dublin to Cork. Complimentary tea/coffee and newspaper, score!

Ah, i should have thought of that. Ryanair was e5 with the taxes and charges and i thought "ah why not, how bad could it be". I'm getting flash forwards already...

ryanair is great. they fly very cheaply on a very convenient route for me. i check in well in advance and i don't have to pay any money towards baggage handling that i don't want anyway. i particularly admire the total lack of bullshit. it's a flight, it's not a spa holiday. plane goes up, plane comes down, mostly on time. there is no ideological supplement. you're not paying 50p extra to save brazilian forest children. you're not being the revolution of you, and the colour scheme is a total disaster. people get quite affronted by it, but it's just the market economics taken to the logical conclusion, and very successfully. people sometimes say they'd prefer to pay more and have a nicer experience, but that's usually not the case unless they really won't feel the effects of the cost difference. it's a paradigm for the contradictions of capitalism, but people never see it that way. we don't want to give up air travel, we just don't want to be confronted by its vulgarity. ryanair knows this. unfortunately it'll take more radical action to really save the planet from continued ecological meltdown, but as a start here's a suggestion:
rather than complaining about getting stung for not checking the bag size in advance, why not take the ferry instead?

unfortunately it'll take more radical action to really save the planet from continued ecological meltdown, but as a start here's a suggestion:
rather than complaining about getting stung for not checking the bag size in advance, why not take the ferry instead?

Or better still - don't go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back