The Russian invasion of Ukraine (16 Viewers)

Every time I see Prigozhin I think of the Kreator album coma of souls

Kreator+Coma+Of+Souls+POSTER.jpg

This is what he will look like if Putin gets his hands on him.

RT is literally a mouthpiece for the Putin dictatorship
Putin is a war criminal who's relentlessly barrel-bombed children in their beds and sent soldiers in to rape, torture and murder in neighbouring states
If reading apologia for that is your thing, go for it

RT is literally a mouthpiece for the Putin dictatorship
Putin is a war criminal who's relentlessly barrel-bombed children in their beds and sent soldiers in to rape, torture and murder in neighbouring states
If reading apologia for that is your thing, go for it
I wanted to see how RT reported something very embarrassing to Putin when they were forced to do so.
their coverage of the war was propaganda in the half hour I've seen since the 2022 invasion started.

same as watching Fox News or whatever to see why people in American believe crazy Trump shit.

apart from Al Jazeera the 24 hour news channels are pretty bad and agenda driven.
the Qatari's aren't going to tell you about horrible things happening there but they do report the world news rather than just western stuff.

never said Putin didn't all do things you mentioned. Prigozhin would be an even worse dictator than Putin.
this debate is very spring 2022.

I wanted to see how RT reported something very embarrassing to Putin when they were forced to do so.
their coverage of the war was propaganda in the half hour I've seen since the 2022 invasion started.

same as watching Fox News or whatever to see why people in American believe crazy Trump shit.

apart from Al Jazeera the 24 hour news channels are pretty bad and agenda driven.
the Qatari's aren't going to tell you about horrible things happening there but they do report the world news rather than just western stuff.

never said Putin didn't all do things you mentioned. Prigozhin would be an even worse dictator than Putin.
this debate is very spring 2022.
Just someone said that RTs bias is overrated or something
It's not
They are one and the same
RT is an informercial for the Putin regime

I read and watch DW. Does me fine. I can make my own mind up about what's going on.

Just someone said that RTs bias is overrated or something
It's not
They are one and the same
RT is an informercial for the Putin regime

I read and watch DW. Does me fine. I can make my own mind up about what's going on.
All the news channels have huge agendas.
I went through how RT dealt with different issues.
RT is by far the worst (Fox is almost comedy for non Americans).
On Ukraine, Putin, Syria and Russia's allies and Russia's neighbouring countries etc. you can't trust a word RT says.

It is worth pointing out that prior to Maidan, Ukraine was often the victim of racist news coverage from western media.
e.g. prior to 2012 Euro football tournament it was widely reported that Ukraine was dangerous and local neo nazi hooligans were waiting to beat up visiting fans.
I don't remember there being any problems.

All the news channels have huge agendas.
I don't know that this is true tbh

Most media organisations reflect their audience
The Irish Times is not so much biased, as reflective of their audience; D4, rugby schools alum, the professional sector and so on.
The BBC and RTE both have solid journalism, but it's still bent to their audience and the need to balance everything they say. We can/might say that they are govt mouthpieces, but ask anyone in govt about them, and they will tell you they hate them; they see them as lefty agitators.

Fox News is a rage reflector of the American white supremacy. They are against any change in the status quo. There's no true agenda other than what people react to, and the angrier you can make them, the more they watch. They're like McDonald's; they give people what they want.

RT is a top down propaganda machine. Whatever Putin says to be true, is the news. Unquestioned and glorified. The idea that it presents some 'other side' of the story to the West is delusional.
Russia is a criminal cartel. RT's agenda is to spread Putin's view, and to foment unrest in the west (shit stir).

There are similarities here, but they're not the same.

Like you can read the WSJ or the Economist to understand what's going on in the heads of those who are pro-market and pro-capitalism. That's where the true believers are. You might disagree with them, but their view is there to see.
RT is not some counter view to the status quo. It's the newsletter of a murderous cartel.

I don't know that this is true tbh

Most media organisations reflect their audience
The Irish Times is not so much biased, as reflective of their audience; D4, rugby schools alum, the professional sector and so on.
The BBC and RTE both have solid journalism, but it's still bent to their audience and the need to balance everything they say. We can/might say that they are govt mouthpieces, but ask anyone in govt about them, and they will tell you they hate them; they see them as lefty agitators.

Fox News is a rage reflector of the American white supremacy. They are against any change in the status quo. There's no true agenda other than what people react to, and the angrier you can make them, the more they watch. They're like McDonald's; they give people what they want.

RT is a top down propaganda machine. Whatever Putin says to be true, is the news. Unquestioned and glorified. The idea that it presents some 'other side' of the story to the West is delusional.
Russia is a criminal cartel. RT's agenda is to spread Putin's view, and to foment unrest in the west (shit stir).

There are similarities here, but they're not the same.

Like you can read the WSJ or the Economist to understand what's going on in the heads of those who are pro-market and pro-capitalism. That's where the true believers are. You might disagree with them, but their view is there to see.
RT is not some counter view to the status quo. It's the newsletter of a murderous cartel.
plenty of anti Ukraine stuff from a decade ago was from the BBC.

if Corbyn or Immortal Technique or an anarchist were on RT in the 2010's it doesn't mean they support Putin.
I have seen RT for half an hour in the last few years.
some of the stuff RT did calling out NATO, the EU, UK and USA was fairly easy. it wasn't hard to dig up that they were hypocrites sometimes.

when I used the word counterpoint it was Putin's counterpoint.
clearly Putin doesn't have a clue who Immortal Technique is.

I agree none of the other news organisations you mentioned are remotely as under the thumb of one person.

I don't watch the news on TV much now except for RTE.

basically a separate thread for hypocrisy in the media would be a better idea than continuing this here.

how the fuck did a mini sub accident with 5 deaths get more air time than:
- migrants drowning in large numbers,
- a slaughter of 41 children at a school in Uganda,
- or people being murdered daily in Ukraine by the Russian army?

that is a chilling reflection on how poor many media outlets are.

if Corbyn or Immortal Technique or an anarchist were on RT in the 2010's it doesn't mean they support Putin.
No, for sure it doesn't
It just means they're useful to Putin

Respectfully, it's a reflection on what we want to watch
All anyone wanted to talk about last week was the sub.
Same as two years ago it was a ship stuck in a canal.
Or Ryan Tubridy's wages.

From a news point of view, we like sugar, we don't eat our veg.

how the fuck did a mini sub accident with 5 deaths get more air time than:
- migrants drowning in large numbers,
- a slaughter of 41 children at a school in Uganda,
- or people being murdered daily in Ukraine by the Russian army?

People don't like hearing it but the reason anything gets traction outside of RT / CCTV china style operations is based entired on how much the public promote it. Either all those events were in the news or you were simultaneously in Uganda, Ukraine and off the Greek coast and witness them for yourself to post about them on thumped. The amount of traction is 100% the public buy-in. The public on social media are the prime drivers of what gets pushed to the front page because clicks = cash. The media outlets reported those things, how they manifested after is on people outside the media. This is not an opinion post. The chilling reflection is on the public appetite.

Yup

We can read all we want on these topics; they are still getting reported
But they do not capture the public imagination, so you are gonna have to dig beyond the standard news feed

No, for sure it doesn't
It just means they're useful to Putin

Respectfully, it's a reflection on what we want to watch
All anyone wanted to talk about last week was the sub.
Same as two years ago it was a ship stuck in a canal.
Or Ryan Tubridy's wages.

From a news point of view, we like sugar, we don't eat our veg.
Also, Man Bites Dog very much applies.

The first time I ever saw people get up and walk out of a cinema in disgust.
the scene with the couple in the kitchen?
brutal. but it's the moment where the film makers drop any final pretense at not being fully involved with Benoit's activities.

Benoit once came in the top 10 in a poll of greatest ever Belgians.

EDIT: fixed numerous typos

Utterly fascinating (to me anyways) reporting from the NY Times on the Russian failures in Ukraine

Here, apparently Prigozhin sledgehammered a lad to death.

Prickgozhin more like, wha?
Yup, this lad here. Did a runner after two days of collecting bodies.

Attachments

• 1687905798513.png
    1687905798513.png
    324.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 1687905846850.png
    1687905846850.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 12
RIP but surely it was known his life was at risk in the prisoner exchange?
I don't know what the appeals process is, if any.

They want their lads back, and they'll give you yours.
Not sure the Ukraines will listen to or care what some Russian prisoner has to say?
Trying to quantify how big of a cunt the Russians will be to their own guys is a pointless exercise.

It's not just that he was murdered by Wagner, its that he was seen to be murdered and incredibly brutally, and used as a cautionary tale for others.
This is the level of animal we're dealing with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back