The Russian invasion of Ukraine (2 Viewers)

My thoughts are that Wagner et al has just bet everyone/everything on one card.

If you are the top 2/3 tiers Putin loyalist now you are still safer defending the govt than joining the mutiny for the meantime, that only changes if the coup is successful.

The coup depends entirely on a second front - driving headlong to Moscow without 1/2 factions who are already in your pocket is a suicide mission.

The second front would want to be nailed down because they have 3-4 hours now to think about a long holiday in a Siberian labour camp.

Putin needs this to be on Moscows doorstep to politically survive it.

Those Wagner Group guys seem nice!
Wes Anderson GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

You're the first of the official death squads to whom we've been formally introduced. How do you do?

Sure the lads just wanted to go on a road trip to get away from all the bloodshed for the weekend.

I’d love to know what the deal was.. show of strength?

Even allowing for the fact the Russian airforce has been shown to not exactly be superpower standard any more, I was surprised the lads had gotten as far as they had with being blasted out of it..
They’d have been charcoal just outside Rostov on don if the yanks had been involved…

Makes sense if negotiations were ongoing all day..

But who the fucks knows. Putin looks weaker after this I’d think.

Good detailed overview of yesterdays fun and games:

the Russian media must have tied themselves in knots on how to report or not to report all this.

I can't find a link to RT but would be interested to know what they are saying?

a huge amount of unknowns in this story.

the Russian media must have tied themselves in knots on how to report or not to report all this.

I can't find a link to RT but would be interested to know what they are saying?

a huge amount of unknowns in this story.

they more-or-less reported it straight, and accurately, as it was happening. we really tend to vastly overestimate the extent to which russian media is supposedly some kind of kremlin tool. not to say it’s a wonderland, but the media very much did not tie themselves in knots.

a proxy of sorts for RT is KP — you can get a good idea by putting their URL into google translate and seeing pretty much exactly how this is being presented to the russian public: Новости России и мира. Комсомольская Правда в РФ - газета, радио и сайт // WWW.KP.RU - KP.RU

Good detailed overview of yesterdays fun and games:

this one was pretty good: Prigozhin's Siege Ends - Postmortem Analysis

they more-or-less reported it straight, and accurately, as it was happening. we really tend to vastly overestimate the extent to which russian media is supposedly some kind of kremlin tool. not to say it’s a wonderland, but the media very much did not tie themselves in knots.

a proxy of sorts for RT is KP — you can get a good idea by putting their URL into google translate and seeing pretty much exactly how this is being presented to the russian public: Новости России и мира. Комсомольская Правда в РФ - газета, радио и сайт // WWW.KP.RU - KP.RU

this one was pretty good: Prigozhin's Siege Ends - Postmortem Analysis
cheers.

most of my experience of the Russian media comes from watching English RT.
it was what the Kremlin presented to foreign audiences as counterpoint to to wide spread anti Russian coverage in the 'western' media.

mentioning domestic Russian issues was avoided almost completely and if they did have mention something really embarrassing (e.g. the Dutch passenger plane flying to Indonesia being shot down in 2015 over Donbas) then RT generally used a counter theory as to what happened, trying to confuse viewers into not knowing what to believe. RT used this tactic too much and it became an expected cliche.

RT's stock in trade was dissing the EU, NATO, USA, UK and bullying former Soviet neighbours.
they often did a good job calling out western power's hypocrisy.

The only time I ever saw someone criticise Putin was Mark S. (?? American guy based in Moscow who was former US army - heavy guy) said a Russian air raid operation should have lasted longer.
i.e. Putin should have bombed Syria more.

my fave moment on RT was a western academic confirming some nasty stuff the west was involved in and then the look on the Russian presenters face when he pointed out Russia was also involved in the same stuff. her face suddenly looked like thunder.

RT also had a cliched habit of having politicians from EU countries that were empathetic to Russia. Almost always they from far right parties.

RT loved covering European independence movements except obviously Kosovo.

a few weeks before the second last (circa 2015) French presidential elections, Marine Le Pen went to Moscow to meet Putin. for the last few of the campaign RT promoted her at every opportunity.

after a Russian fighter jet got shot down by Turkey on the Syrian border, RT severely dissed Erdogan's government for about 6 months. this included several stories that ISIL sold oil to Turkey.
all of a sudden this coverage went 180 degrees in the space of two weeks; Putin had a meeting with Erdogan and they agreed to work together.
All of sudden Evil Erdogan was a great guy in RT's eyes! total 1984 stuff.

Some of USA based RT programmes were actually good.
I remember seeing rapper Immortal Technique and a trans anarchist from Crimethink being interviewed on the same show.

a really low moment dealt with the couple in Salisbury finding a perfume bottle of nerve agent used to poison the Skrepals (sic) sometime earlier.
the English couple were seriously ill in hospital and one of their main reporters (guy with bald head in his 40s) said they were drug addicts and they could gotten this ill anytime.

how could anyone be OK with saying something so callous about two innocent vulnerable people?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back