The Russian invasion of Ukraine (1 Viewer)

Is your sense that people there have long wanted this Soviet stuff gone and now feel they can do it without blowback?

Or that the horror in Ukraine has changed people's minds about how they view their relationship Russia ?
it was divided before. 25% of the population identify as Russian and only speak Russian. In Estonia and Lithuania you get large pockets in border areas (see Narva in Estonia which is 80% Russian and is one of the biggest shitholes I've set foot in). The divide wasn't really between the Baltic countries and Russia, per se, but rather between the indigenous population and those who identify as Russian. Theres a lot of tolerance for that community, even though they can't speak the language of the countries they were born and have always lived in. For example, if you want a government job, or to work in a bank, you must be billingual. Street signage is frequently billingual, and there are Russian language media outlets, both TV and print.

That tolerance level is definitely dropping. But just among the general population. There is nothing official from the government about how that section of the population are treated, though there have been announcements about the Russian state. The monuments thing is a natural extension of that, and the hope among the indigenous population is that they will start to phase Russian out more and more. For example, by giving a 10-year deadline to remove Russian as an official language, and thus its being a requirement for government jobs or banks. That will force that part of the population to either learn the country's language, or fuck off back to their motherland.

There is a lot of pro-Ukranian stuff everywhere you go. Some of the Russian lads were defacing it and attacking it. There were also assaults on Ukranian refugees. So, they haven't helped their own cause.

Among the older generation in border regions, many old people still look fondly on soviet times. They see it as a time when everyone had a job, heating was free, and everyone had food. But they mention nothing about having zero freedom to have opinions, and that having them would see you transported to Siberia, never to be seen again.

the fucker is only being toppled now. They're even livestreaming it

skip 5 hours 54 minutes into that video to see the bastard topple

skip 5 hours 54 minutes into that video to see the bastard topple
It's mad how this happens, a monument to an army and country that hasn't existed in 30 years.

Like, we really should blow up the Wellington monument but we just can't be bothered.

I thought about blowing up the Pope's cross in the Park loads of times

You'd probably only have to cut through a few bolts really

you could start with the cross on bray head as a warm up.
Some prick cemented a stone onto the cliff by one of the little beaches by me with that bit about footprints in the sand and when there were no footprints that was where Jesus was carrying you bollocks.

I'd be on for blowing that up if we wanted something to kick things off.

I thought about blowing up the Pope's cross in the Park loads of times
In NUI Maynooth there's a statue of the Pope leaned over cuddling little kiddies. He's not dropping the hand or anything, jut giving kids a bit of a cuddle, totally normal. I mean, he does kinda look like he's whispering something into their ear and might be coaxing them down onto his cock.

Anyway, his back is sort of roundy so they painted his back red and put black spots on him and turned him into a nice looking ladybird at one point.

They'd also put brown paper bags of sweeties into his hands.

it was divided before. 25% of the population identify as Russian and only speak Russian. In Estonia and Lithuania you get large pockets in border areas (see Narva in Estonia which is 80% Russian and is one of the biggest shitholes I've set foot in). The divide wasn't really between the Baltic countries and Russia, per se, but rather between the indigenous population and those who identify as Russian. Theres a lot of tolerance for that community, even though they can't speak the language of the countries they were born and have always lived in. For example, if you want a government job, or to work in a bank, you must be billingual. Street signage is frequently billingual, and there are Russian language media outlets, both TV and print.

That tolerance level is definitely dropping. But just among the general population. There is nothing official from the government about how that section of the population are treated, though there have been announcements about the Russian state. The monuments thing is a natural extension of that, and the hope among the indigenous population is that they will start to phase Russian out more and more. For example, by giving a 10-year deadline to remove Russian as an official language, and thus its being a requirement for government jobs or banks. That will force that part of the population to either learn the country's language, or fuck off back to their motherland.

There is a lot of pro-Ukranian stuff everywhere you go. Some of the Russian lads were defacing it and attacking it. There were also assaults on Ukranian refugees. So, they haven't helped their own cause.

Among the older generation in border regions, many old people still look fondly on soviet times. They see it as a time when everyone had a job, heating was free, and everyone had food. But they mention nothing about having zero freedom to have opinions, and that having them would see you transported to Siberia, never to be seen again.

I've heard different things from different Baltic people.
I had a Latvian mate who when he went for a Latvian passport some 20 years ago was told "no, your grandmother was Russian, so no passport for you. Get a Russian passport". So he did, then went to Cyprus and snuck himself into the EU, which is apparently the way to do it. He didn't feel the least bit Russian, but the government was telling him he was. Not a good feeling.

Lithuania on the other hand just lashed out the passports upon independence. I guess I'm saying the way each country handled independence has had a long term, un-thought of effect on things.

My Ukrainian mate is Russian speaking, bilingual, and very pro Ukraine. Kharkiv, poor fucker.

Also, I only recently learned that Lithuania doesn't have any decent swearwords, a bit like Irish. So when they want to call you a motherfucker or whatever, they speak Russian. Because swearing in Russian is FUN. It doesn't mean they can speak Russian though. So a lot of what I thought were my Russian speaking Lithuanian friends don't actually speak Russian, they just like calling me a prick.

I've heard different things from different Baltic people.
I had a Latvian mate who when he went for a Latvian passport some 20 years ago was told "no, your grandmother was Russian, so no passport for you. Get a Russian passport". So he did, then went to Cyprus and snuck himself into the EU, which is apparently the way to do it. He didn't feel the least bit Russian, but the government was telling him he was. Not a good feeling.

Lithuania on the other hand just lashed out the passports upon independence. I guess I'm saying the way each country handled independence has had a long term, un-thought of effect on things.

My Ukrainian mate is Russian speaking, bilingual, and very pro Ukraine. Kharkiv, poor fucker.

Also, I only recently learned that Lithuania doesn't have any decent swearwords, a bit like Irish. So when they want to call you a motherfucker or whatever, they speak Russian. Because swearing in Russian is FUN. It doesn't mean they can speak Russian though. So a lot of what I thought were my Russian speaking Lithuanian friends don't actually speak Russian, they just like calling me a prick.
ha well I'm sure that passport story has been a little bit embellished for effect. Rules around passport eligibility are fairly black and white, and having one russian grandparent would not disbar him. My missus' ma is Russian, though her whole family is staunchly anti-roosky.

In NUI Maynooth there's a statue of the Pope leaned over cuddling little kiddies. He's not dropping the hand or anything, jut giving kids a bit of a cuddle, totally normal. I mean, he does kinda look like he's whispering something into their ear and might be coaxing them down onto his cock.

Anyway, his back is sort of roundy so they painted his back red and put black spots on him and turned him into a nice looking ladybird at one point.

They'd also put brown paper bags of sweeties into his hands.
I honestly thought it was a giant turtle the first couple of times I walked past it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back