The Roaring Twenties (1 Viewer)

cos its Irish, and so are we.

god forbid anyone ever does anything thats good. It would kill us to have to suppress our begrudging nature, even if just the once.

Like for example, that Glen Hansard movie is meant to be good, isn't it? I've never heard anyone once mention that on here. Imagine saying something good about Glen Hansard. It'd be just too much for most people.

Why would anyone have a problem with saying anything good about Glen Hansard or anyone else for that matter?

cephalopod said:
There is no hope of redemption. It was shit. Next week's episode will be shit, and if 6 more get produced there is every likelihood they will get progressively shitter. Camera Cafe anyone? It's time RTE looked beyond Ballyfermet college.

Dun Laoghaire college?

I would have to say yes, imho.
A few people seem to think the writers show a glimmer of promise at least.

I ain't no expert at comedy or nothin, but there was some interesting points raised over on boards. Someone said it was a bad idea to have the writers editing their own work, which is what happened with this show. That's something most of us wouldn't have thought of, but it could make a huge difference to the end product.
I'm no expert but I don't know why people reckon the writers show any sign of talent. Alright, the cast, directing etc. was poor but the show itself didn't deliver one amusing line. Amusing lines are the writers' job.

I liked in the indo interview the way they were going on how different it is to Friends. The first one is that it contains strong language. Who gives a cunting fuck? Is bad language funny? Well, sometimes if you can make it funny. Hardly a worthwhile reason to make a show. Second was that it contains "mildly erotic scenes". If I wanted to have a wank, I'd watch MTV Bass. Hardly makes the programme a worthwhile sitcom. If there were some highly erotic scenes, at least the sitcom would have purpose. Thirdly, the show only has one female as a principal character. And?

Friends is shit and very rarely funny. At least it's competently put together though. I've enjoyed Friends episodes more than that shit last night.

cos its Irish, and so are we.

god forbid anyone ever does anything thats good. It would kill us to have to suppress our begrudging nature, even if just the once.

Like for example, that Glen Hansard movie is meant to be good, isn't it? I've never heard anyone once mention that on here. Imagine saying something good about Glen Hansard. It'd be just too much for most people.

I take great pride when well executed works of art are produced in Ireland. However, The Roaring Twenties reminds brings me back to the torpor, pretension, and meaningless twaddled produced in that (pretend year) transition year in secondary school. Hackeneyed, undisciplined, over-written shite, hoping to resonate with a specific flat-land demographic, but failing miserably. Mix in bits of all your favourite successful overseas comedy shows of the last few years in a big RTE bucket and fuck it like cow-shit in the face of license paying public and hope something sticks. Add in a couple of clowns who can hardly contain their excitement that they are not bystander number 2 in fair city this week, and you have something like the roaring twenties.

The Glen Hansard movie is meant to be good? or is it good? I personally don't know I haven't seen it.

Its not beyond redemption, because if it was changed irrevocably and continued on, then at least three of the characters, could actually turn into, well, characters. At the moment their caricatures as someone said, and the narrator does so much narration that they don't even have to act their caricatures out.

The slightly "edgy" guy ray, the bird and posh/D4-styled bloke could all be developed but you'd have think about why they are actually friends in the first place. Did they go to school or college together like most Irish groups of friends, or have they even bother giving these people even the merest hint of a third dimension.

The "I'm an artist" cunt is beyond redemption. Its impossible to create a character who'd be friends with him, let alone write him as a character that anyone would want to watch.

And, by the way, the thing I'v described isn't taht difficult, you don't need a fucking amazing imagination, you just string together all the funny thing about your own 20-something matres and mix and match their stories and lifes into something funny for TV and then feel free to fictionalise everything.

Not fucking rocket surgery!

I take great pride when well executed works of art are produced in Ireland. However, The Roaring Twenties reminds brings me back to the torpor, pretension, and meaningless twaddled produced in that (pretend year) transition year in secondary school. Hackeneyed, undisciplined, over-written shite, hoping to resonate with a specific flat-land demographic, but failing miserably. Mix in bits of all your favourite successful overseas comedy shows of the last few years in a big RTE bucket and fuck it like cow-shit in the face of license paying public and hope something sticks.

The Glen Hansard movie is meant to be good? or is it good? I personally don't know I haven't seen it.

I just think people read too much into this stuff. It was a half-hour of park your brain at the door stuff. It made me laugh more than once and by the end of it I wasn't looking for that half-hour of my life back.

As far as I know it didn't claim to be the greatest thing ever of all time, so why are we using that as the benchmark? Just watch it for what it is. If you don't like it, turn over. If not, well then deadly.

I reckon I'll watch in again. I didn't like the Jake Stephens thing so doubt I'll watch that. I'm sure plenty loved it though.

Father Ted remains the only thing worth watching on RTE 2 on a Monday night.

It's the awfulness of The Roaring Twenties that gets me. One trick pony, Jake Stevens, and the excruciating ego-fest that is The Panel can fuck right off too.

its also true, sadly, and not just in relation to stuff like this. Its all too prevalent in day-to-day life. Its a shit facet of Irishness.

I disagree that it's a distinguishing aspect of our national identity any more than any other english speaking media obsessed western shithole. The size of our island just magnifies those that do criticise senselessly or constructively.

its also true, sadly, and not just in relation to stuff like this. Its all too prevalent in day-to-day life. Its a shit facet of Irishness.

Whatever about begrudgery, the Glen Hansard movie is not good. People who say it is, I suspect, come from the other, opposite and equally annoying facet of Irishness: "Shur twas no use, but fairplay to them anyway."

On another, equally unrelated note, I was very disappointed in the jokes to bad language ratio of The Panel last night. Bad language is not funny in and of itself.

never heard ham sandwich
the other two are shite
even without seeing this program i know it was shite
i have a talent for that kind of thing
psychic inverse talentspotting
pitty the fool !

Twink was whingeing about the begrudgers in the paper at the weekend too. A shadowy cabal of supernatural beings who have conspired to wreck the career of every home-produced artistic genius since the 80's, from Ronan Keating to Mickey Jo Harte!

I disagree that it's a distinguishing aspect of our national identity any more than any other english speaking media obsessed western shithole. The size of our island just magnifies those that do criticise senselessly or constructively.

yes, this is a very good point. But sadly, the fact that it is magnified, regardless of whether we're worse begrudgers or not than anyone else, makes it more noticeable, if not necessarily a defining or distinguishing aspect of our national identity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back