The Roaring Twenties (2 Viewers)

I don't see why folks are ragging on this so hard. It wasn't great, but 99% of sitcoms are shit anyways.

Did anyone see Hardware that was on afterwards? That's gash. The IT Crowd, utter shit. Anything Andy Richter stars in, generally wojeous. I saw this one with Heather Graham as a self help guru which was the most embarrassing thing ever. Then there's every BBC sitcom shown before 9. Pretty much all american sitcoms since seinfeld went tits up bar a few exceptions. AND THE ENGLISH CLASS.

I'd say this was one of the better RTE efforts in comparisson with the dreck that went before it.

I feel kinda bad for the guy seeing his words there and all, up at 3.44am.

But this show right, it's a pilot. So....there's room for improvements, isn't that the point?
So I ask, is this show beyond redemption????
Eoghan Harris would sort them right out.

I'd say this was one of the better RTE efforts in comparisson with the dreck that went before it.

RTE excel in setting the bar so profoundly low that jokeless streams of semi conciousness, bereft of any originality, gradually start to seem like valiant attempts at comedy. It's tv criticism meets the creeping death meets the end of all hope. Which is the opposite of comedy. Thanks RTE.

the landlord and the newspaper editor were spot on. I've met both of these in real life and have to say they had them to a tee. Especially the newspaper editor. The bloke I've met is the editor of one of them shitty free papers over the northside. He was the smarmiest, sleeziest, dishonest nob-head ever.
Not real characters though. Just caricatures.

RTE excel in setting the bar so profoundly low that jokeless streams of semi conciousness, bereft of any originality, gradually start to seem like valiant attempts at comedy. It's tv criticism meets the creeping death meets the end of all hope. Which is the opposite of comedy. Thanks RTE.

And I dont blame the folk behind these shows. It's entirely RTE's fault. Anyone can write a shit comedy but not too many have the power to commission one.

David O'Doherty's show was pretty shit too, but i didn't see the same amount of vitriol towards that.

Sitcoms are very, very hard. Ireland is a small, shit country, that has produced one great sitcom in Fr. Ted. I think we should be happy with that and not really expect anything good to come along for at least another 80 years.

I don't see why folks are ragging on this so hard. It wasn't great, but 99% of sitcoms are shit anyways.

cos its Irish, and so are we.

god forbid anyone ever does anything thats good. It would kill us to have to suppress our begrudging nature, even if just the once.

Like for example, that Glen Hansard movie is meant to be good, isn't it? I've never heard anyone once mention that on here. Imagine saying something good about Glen Hansard. It'd be just too much for most people.

The writer/director guy is over on boards.ie telling critics to fuck off.

To be fair he only tells people who said his show is worse than the English Class to fuck off. I think any writer would lose their shit when confronted with that.

Sick I missed this now, what with all the hubub and all

Look it another way. Does the show show any promise, whats so over?

I would have to say yes, imho.
A few people seem to think the writers show a glimmer of promise at least.

I ain't no expert at comedy or nothin, but there was some interesting points raised over on boards. Someone said it was a bad idea to have the writers editing their own work, which is what happened with this show. That's something most of us wouldn't have thought of, but it could make a huge difference to the end product.

I would have to say yes, imho.
A few people seem to think the writers show a glimmer of promise at least.

I think so too, but I reckon this show is bad because the writers evidently thought "hey, let's make a sitcom", rather than "hey, I've got a great idea for a sitcom".

Like for example, that Glen Hansard movie is meant to be good, isn't it? I've never heard anyone once mention that on here. Imagine saying something good about Glen Hansard. It'd be just too much for most people.

A few people have mentioned it in a positive way on the "Movie I watched last night" thread..

I'm sorry I missed this show now...I feel like I've missed some important cultural happening that will be talked about for years

I don't watchthat many series' on TV, mainly cos a lot of them are shit and don't do it for me. I watched that my brother knew someone involved in it and it turned out that one of the lead actors was in the year below me in school.

But it was rubbish. I don't care if they make the rest of the series. Like Dan and Becs, its probably not that funny but its utterly harmless. I'm glad people are doing what they want to be doing.

However, like someone said, it didn't look like they actually thought it was funny, just that they would like to have written a sitcom rather than having any good ideas for a sitcom they could write.

Frankly they should watch Arrested Development from start to finish, hang their heads with shame and raise the bar as far as they can.

And secondly, why in God's name hasn't someone made a sitcom of Ross O'Carroll Kelly yet? Its begging for it, and there's already about ten years of funny story lines written for it!?! (I know they made a play by the way. TV would work better.)

There is no hope of redemption. It was shit. Next week's episode will be shit, and if 6 more get produced there is every likelihood they will get progressively shitter. Camera Cafe anyone? It's time RTE looked beyond Ballyfermet college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back