The Roaring Twenties (1 Viewer)

i just skipped to the end of this thread, so maybe it's been mentioned already. The voiceover, the "next week on..." and even the font in some cases.... Arrested Development all the way. i can't believe it was broadcast.

As someone hoping to have an Irish comedy show commissioned this year, I dont know whether to be encouraged or not. It's either "Yes! My stuff is WAY better! I'm a shoo-in!" or it's "This is what RTE thinks is funny.... I havent a hope."

What's your show like?

tommy teirnan is a very funny and suprisingly soulful comedian, but he has shifting into almost Chubby Brown low-browness from the last DVD i saw. Still funny, but kind of distasteful in a way i didn't expect, nor really enjoy.

Still though, fuck cunt an arse tit cum yeah?

I think either "brilliant" or else "ahh just fuck off back to Galway and juggle fire". No in between with him.

cos we're a nation of begrudging fucks.

Rosanne DeBurgh was right

Once is an excellent movie - some of the music in it is pretty great too. "The guy's" father is a spot on performance.

Haha I was just about to say I read a post on here saying that Once is great and I thought it might have been yours.

Soupy Norman is great although it's half Polish so that might be why..

Undoubtedly the worst thing I have ever seen..manic and unfocused.
hammy and painfully unfunny. Leave it to Mrs O'Brien shines like a beacon of comedy genius when compared to this. Dreadful and embarrassing.

Perhaps unfairly I flicked over from watching the American Office to watch this and while I was in no way expecting anything resembling the quality of that show I was hoping for a glimmer of originality or potential, something actually funny but was met with was the embarrassing antithesis.

Oh dear God

yes, this is a very good point. But sadly, the fact that it is magnified, regardless of whether we're worse begrudgers or not than anyone else, makes it more noticeable, if not necessarily a defining or distinguishing aspect of our national identity.

the 'begrudgery' argument is the last great thought-killing, stupidity-facilitating, mind-closing, pointless whine that irish people have.

when r.t.e. manages to produce something as solid-gold amazing as 'soupy norman', and then turn around and present 'the roaring twenties' as the (presumed) best they've got, we have a right to call a turd a turd.

that doesn't make the critic into a 'begrudger' -- this mysterious, powerful, malevolent force that apparently explains the entire national psyche in one neat word. "begrudgery" doesn't explain anything, it merely shows up the person making the accusation as a cliched, originality-free, mind-numbing twit. think harder! come up with a better explanation!

i should add - stupid people all over the world accuse others of "begrudgery", and similar crimes. the fact that irish people apply it to the whole of ireland is mostly an accident of geography, as vinnie pointed out. we're a small island, so we make unwarranted generalisations based on that, as opposed to some other identifying feature.

s said:
when r.t.e. manages to produce something as solid-gold amazing as 'soupy norman', and then turn around and present 'the roaring twenties' as the (presumed) best they've got, we have a right to call a turd a turd.
Yeah, RTE doesn't make good comedy, it lets it escape. Like good farts.

Fuck the begrudgers and bring our exiles home

missworld2003.jpg

irvine-brandon-2.jpg

2505kerrb.jpg

Linda%20Martin.jpg

bobgeldoff_wideweb__430x275.jpg

Gabriel 'wouldn't raise kids in dublin' Byrne

10043336A%7EGabriel-Byrne-Posters.jpg

bb2_brian.jpg

cranberries_2.jpg

the 'begrudgery' argument is the last great thought-killing, stupidity-facilitating, mind-closing, pointless whine that irish people have.

that doesn't make the critic into a 'begrudger' -- this mysterious, powerful, malevolent force that apparently explains the entire national psyche in one neat word. "begrudgery" doesn't explain anything, it merely shows up the person making the accusation as a cliched, originality-free, mind-numbing twit. think harder! come up with a better explanation!

Ah I was just trying to formulate exactly the above thought in my mind. Thanks you s! I hate anti-begrudgery. Crap things are crap whether they come from Ireland or not. We are allowed to say so. Didn't see this program but it sounds a bit crap ...

Paths To Freedom was great though. Must check out Soupy Norman ...

But you're not comparing like with like. Soupy is a pretty simple idea, done well. The Roaring Twenties is a sitcom; a lot harder to do right than a series of ten minute sketches.

I just don't see why people were expecting this to be any good, or why there's so much invective directed towards it - 99% of sitcoms are shit, this is just another to throw on that pile.

I think part of why folks vent so much is that they reckon they could do better if they bothered they arses. But they don't.

In fairness he's comparing like with unlike: a good idea well executed with a poor idea badly executed. The common denominator is RTE who seem to assume that the viewing public are only as smart as the decisions that RTE take. The way RTE treat music, comedy, theatre (snigger), etc is pretty embarrassing at the best of times. When taken in context licence payers are quite entitled to be annoyed at this latest kick in the cultural bollocks. It's like they've employed Roland Rat's son as a programme commissioner.

And yeah, it is unfortunate for the creators of this show to have to learn their trade in front of such unforgiving eyes but do you think a brand new show would get this much focus or people would be so irritated by its quality/originality if RTE occasionally developed some comedy that was even marginally funnier than the fucking news?

Undoubtedly the worst thing I have ever seen..manic and unfocused.
hammy and painfully unfunny. Leave it to Mrs O'Brien shines like a beacon of comedy genius when compared to this. Dreadful and embarrassing.

Perhaps unfairly I flicked over from watching the American Office to watch this and while I was in no way expecting anything resembling the quality of that show I was hoping for a glimmer of originality or potential, something actually funny but was met with was the embarrassing antithesis.

Oh dear God

Thats the poshest post i've ever readed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back