The MCD thread (1 Viewer)

Keeror

Since 2000
Quoth Pete:
"there's a thing now - would anyone be interested if i tried to get an interview with an MCD rep, to get their side of the ticket price story?

i'm sure they'd be happy to clear it all up for once and for all....."

I doubt it. They'll most likely say that they charge the lowest prices they can, and that it's all the artists fault for asking for big advances, and that english venues hold loads more people than Irish ones and so on and on.
And if you disagree with them, then you're proabably just the sort of luddite who wanyts to keep music lo-fi and in the bedsit.

That's more or less what they've said before when questioned.

The "Ireland is over the water - therefore more expensive to play" argument doesn't really wash. Not only are gigs outside Dublin much cheaper, but also gigs across Europe are cheaper. And Europe is across even more water. And not every band comes from the UK to begin with anyway. Maybe it's a *little* more expensive to bring aband here, but not 40% more, surely?

IMHO, the reason gigs are very expensive in Dublin is because there's no real competition. And there won't be so long as MCD continues to buy up all available gig space in the city and refuse to allow any other promoters to use those venues. (I guess this is the similarity between free-market enterprise and state sponsored monoploies that Anne O'Malley was on about).

I doubt if they care whether anyone goes to see Spooks (who?) or Reel Big Fish (double who?) - they'll have made enough from Slane and Witnness to cover those costs ten times over. But they will now have both those bands on the books, and when they come back in 12 months time, with the number one album and so on, they'll say, "We want to deal with MCD, they gave us crisps backstage even when no punters turned up at our gig" (otherwise known as The Mogwai Syndrome).

I'm not sure what to do about all this. Maybe some Thumped people should form a Lotto syndicate and use the inevitable megabuck profits to buy their own venue?

maybe you could clatter purcell over the ponce nonce when you see him next month.

Yes it is more expensive to cross the water....but bollox to that. Not every band that crosses the water is £25. Notable examples in the past few months are Arab strap, acid mothers temple, 16 horsepower...for fucks sake bright eyes........the list goes on (i have the evidence on my wall at home). MCD are over charging by quite a large margin....
£36.50 to go see U2/Chillis and all that other shite
£25 to go see Mercury rev.......no stage to build/ no police and local residents to bribe.......

Give me a fucking break....oh if you want to abuse mr purcell its
{edited by pete}

so it is.......this time its war.....anybody on for getting some spray cans and graffitiing 'fuck mcd' on their ambassador sign......? There never seems to be anyone around at 5.32am

Johnny_Fontane (31 Aug, 2001):
oh if you want to abuse mr purcell its
{edited by pete}

Hmm. Giving out his personal email addresses to harrass?

I don't agree with this.

Instead of sending abuse to someones personal e.mail account why don`t you just not go to MCD events
You don`t have to pay huge amounts of £ to go and see the bands they bring over

joss (31 Aug, 2001 11:22 a.m.):
Johnny_Fontane (31 Aug, 2001):
oh if you want to abuse mr purcell its
{edited by pete}

Hmm. Giving out his personal email addresses to harrass?

I don't agree with this.

I sent him a mail anyway...if he didn't want to reply he could just have blocked my address...and I was courteous.
In short, I sent Darragh Purcell a mail outlining the following points (I won't post the whole lot as it will take up too much space).

He didn't really answer any of my questions anyway...

I noticed that the
price of a ticket for the Ambassador Theatre in Dublin is £23-£25 when, for example, the price of a ticket for the Galway gig (in the Black Box) is £16.50. I am curious as to why the Dublin gig costs a minimum of £6.50 more than any of the other gigs ?

As far as I know the Ambassador is an MCD owned venue (Is this correct ?)

I have to confess that I have no idea what the capacity of any of the venues on this tour are...Have you got this information at hand.

etc...

here is his reply

Thanks for your detailed mail.

I appreciate your frustration with paying relatively high Ticket Prices for so many shows.

Many of the artistes you have mentioned may have evolved from an 'indie' background but have now matured and aspire towards creating outstanding contemporary art. They are all meticulous artistes with large visions of how their work should sound and this is a costly endeavour, carrying large Crew / PA / Instrumentation & Lighting.

Ireland is one of the most expensive ( in terms of money and time ) countries in the world to travel due to the necessitated Flights / Ferries. If I want these artistes to play here I have to pay them handsomely, otherwise they simply won't visit here, its as simple as that. Ireland is also a very small country and though artistes like to play here due to our heritage and love of music, it simply must be cost-effective for them to do so. They don't sell enough records here to justify spending Record Company advances in visiting here.

Your point on venue capacities is irrelevant, the industry standard is that the artiste receives between 80 and 85% of monies after expenses, be it a 200 or 2000 capacity venue. Your implication that we are setting random prices ( and making large profits ) is deeply erroneous, tell me one other industry that lives off a 15% profit ( that is not even guaranteed if the show doesn't sell-out ). And trust me man, if we don't make even some amount of profit we can't afford to bring these artistes here.

The Spiritualized ticket prices are based on what we can expect people to pay in different territories. The artistes Agent will secure the Largest and Best Deals he can in his Artistes interest, I was the one who insisted upon keeping the Prices down around the country. Jason Pierce is carrying 32 people with him on these dates, do you know what the Catering budget is alone ?

Your point concerning a 40% mark-up on UK Prices ( allowing for Exchange Rates ) is also deeply erroneous. The prices quoted in the UK are exclusive of Booking Fees, you can expect to pay a minimum of another £5-£10 Sterling on top of these to cover the range of Agents who must get their little Percentage, it is completely unregulated in the UK. At least in Ireland the industry is properly regulated and we must quote Prices inclusive of Booking Commissions which means that at least the consumer knows in advance what he/she has to pay.

I appreciate you are not having a go and some of your points are valid but it goes like this, if you want to experience Outstanding contemporary ideas you should pay for them and I think the artistes who articulate these ideas deserve to be well paid for what they do.

I hope this has been of some value. Thanks for taking the time to write.

With Best Regards,

Darragh

well he sounds like a nice chap, doesn't he.

and he's dead right. contempoary artisits should be paid hansomely for their endevours. unless of course it' s the local support band.

did you ask him how many cravats he has? and imeldian amount, i'd wager.

I've removed daragh purcells email address from the above posts. I don't really think it's appropriate and would probably only serve to aggravate the chap - which won't really help matters if we do go looking for questions to be answered...

On that note, i haven't actually approached anyone from MCD yet about this, but if anyone would like to submit questions for a (currently) hypothetical interview, please send them to [email protected]

someone should tell him how to spell 'artist' properly,
cos if you spell it artiste, people will think you're saying
"ahr-teest" and only total ponces say shit like that.

phew!

Andy
*666NWOIHM666*

The first thing that comes to mind on reading this bit:
the industry standard is that the artiste receives between 80 and 85% of monies after expenses, be it a 200 or 2000 capacity venue. Your implication that we are setting random prices ( and making large profits ) is deeply erroneous, tell me one other industry that lives off a 15% profit
is that MCD is not "living off" 15% profit - that 15% is after all expenses have been paid and is therefore exactly that - profit.

Or maybe i'm missing something.

but they're a business and businesses make profits, it's what they do. have they ever claimed not to be a business?

hag (02 Sep, 2001 09:36 a.m.):
but they're a business and businesses make profits, it's what they do. have they ever claimed not to be a business?

Can't dispute that - but don't you think it's a little disingenuous to say that MCD "lives off" that 15%?

He did after all say that it's 15% after expenses, which I would take to mean operating costs like venue hire, salaries, advertising, office rent and the like.

no, it's not. that really maddens me. you wouldn't believe the trouble i (and everyone else i'm sure) have/has getting a confirmation for a date - the ususal 'i can't confirm because aiken or mcd may come along with something'. it's very disheartening. cry.

In my experience, people don't get shafted by The Cobblestone.

hag (03 Sep, 2001 12:24 a.m.):
no, it's not. that really maddens me. you wouldn't believe the trouble i (and everyone else i'm sure) have/has getting a confirmation for a date - the ususal 'i can't confirm because aiken or mcd may come along with something'. it's very disheartening. cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back