The Fightin', Fussin' and Mixed MArtial arts thread.. (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I definitely think MMA is safer than boxing, and I get queasy having to watch the repeated blows to the head in boxing whereas I love to watch MMA! (I don't exactly know where muay thai fits into this seeing as I love it and it's extremely violent...)

It's funny being a fan of MMA and trying to convince people of how safe it is, when the companies promoting it are playing up the violence, with the UFC and their deliberate comparisons to gladiator fights of ancient times and the clothing ranges with their stupid mock bloodsplatters and macho slogans! I've had some funny chats with people who didn't know about it any time I'm watching it in the pub. I think old people who heard about it from Joe Duffy are usually disappointed that there aren't more limbs being torn off and decapitations.

Mitsuharu Misawa died in the ring after getting spinal injury from a failed suplex last week in Japan, dude just pushed himself way way way too hard.. He should have retired about 10 years ago but then decided to start Pro Wrestling NOAH and really wanted it to succeed.. The tribute show to him the night after is hard to watch.

Yeah, I definitely think MMA is safer than boxing, and I get queasy having to watch the repeated blows to the head in boxing whereas I love to watch MMA! (I don't exactly know where muay thai fits into this seeing as I love it and it's extremely violent...)

It's funny being a fan of MMA and trying to convince people of how safe it is, when the companies promoting it are playing up the violence, with the UFC and their deliberate comparisons to gladiator fights of ancient times and the clothing ranges with their stupid mock bloodsplatters and macho slogans! I've had some funny chats with people who didn't know about it any time I'm watching it in the pub. I think old people who heard about it from Joe Duffy are usually disappointed that there aren't more limbs being torn off and decapitations.

Its definally a lot safer (well a lot less bloody) in recent years since the move away from traditional Vale Tudo type rules.(head buts and bareknuckle)

That Pele vs De Olivera fight (i think it was) was savage - as was the Igor "Ice Cold" Vovchanchyn vs Enson Inoue:

See that Fight here

Wow just watched the Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale - amazing event. It blew UFC 99 out of the water..

The Diego Sanchez/Clay Guida was amazing - I won't spoil it by posting results but they gave the bonus for 3 fights for fight of the night.

9028-9018-SanchezGuida896TUF9.jpg

Check for it online now.

Wow just watched the Ultimate Fighter 9 Finale - amazing event. It blew UFC 99 out of the water..

The Diego Sanchez/Clay Guida was amazing - I won't spoil it by posting results but they gave the bonus for 3 fights for fight of the night.

9028-9018-SanchezGuida896TUF9.jpg

Check for it online now.

yeah, was gonna get a torrent for it and found it on virgin telly the other night, happy days.

Sanchez is a fuckin beast, used to hate his style but his stand-up is incredible these days.

UFC 100 on Saturday.

Particularly looking forward to GSP V Thiago Alvez and Dan Henderson V Michael Bisping.

UFC 100 on Saturday.

Particularly looking forward to GSP V Thiago Alvez and Dan Henderson V Michael Bisping.

should be great, hope I get to see it live!!

on another fighting note anyone into dog brothers

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

UFC 100 is on Virgin 1. If you have the basic Chorus/NTL you can watch it. Nice one. There's not a peep of advertising for it though and you think Virgin 1 would be advertising the shit out of it considering how huge it is!

Looking forward to 100 - is it on Sunday as a mate invited me down to see it..

I think Hendo will beat Bisping but who knows..

Hey City Baby - you ever see the letter from the DB to the UFC asking to do a Stick fighting match too (this was back when UFC was marketed as NO RULES/Blood Sport:

ufc.jpg

Looking forward to 100 - is it on Sunday as a mate invited me down to see it..

I think Hendo will beat Bisping but who knows..

Hey City Baby - you ever see the letter from the DB to the UFC asking to do a Stick fighting match too (this was back when UFC was marketed as NO RULES/Blood Sport:

ufc.jpg

:) i have a funny feeling we wouldnt be looking forward to ufc 100 if they decided to give the aul stick fighting a go.

I only found out about the dog brothers thing a few months ago from me mma coach, and still think it looks fuckin ridiculous , although a few years ago when I was into K1, I thought mma looked ridiculous... so I wont be too quick to mouth off about it

Saw Dog Brothers before alright.

UFC 100 is Live on Setanta Ireland at 3am Sunday morning.

CAN'T BLEEDIN' WAIT!

IS there a repeat Sunday?

I remember in the early days of the Dog Bros - there was a video of a fairly well known Bjjer vs A DB. Basically the BJJer threw stick went for double leg - mount - sub etc.

I think thats how the BDs started putting BJJ into their training.

I'll try ask about and find the video.

Just watching the final fight in UFC100. So tired.

Lesner is such a knob. He didn't win himself any fans after tonight. This last fight with Fitch and Thiago is shite. Such an anti-climax.

Time for bed methinks.

I got the predictions for Lesnar/Mir - Bisping/Hendo - Gsp/Alvves right...

Not a bad show.. the Hendo/Bisping fight was great. I like both guys but who i though won but not in the way i though. The other 2 fights i was spot on.

I loved Lesnar at the end, his WWF days stood up to him. Just can't stop playing the bad guy, it was great.

So true - him slagging off BUD LITE was amazing....

He looked a bit shakey in his standup (and thats where he will be beaten) but his ground and pound is amazing. His short punches from on top are killers.

(I don't exactly know where muay thai fits into this seeing as I love it and it's extremely violent...)
Muay Thai is way safer than boxing. The whole body (minus the usual areas) is a target so the head doesn't get the repeated thumping like in boxing. Also the grappling doesn't damage the head as much either. Shorter fights too.

that lesnor fight was awful boring. fat bloke lies on top of a slightly less fat bloke and punches him in the head. i know there was a bit more to it, but still. at least bisping had the decency to get absolutley creamed.

George St Pierre was pretty flawless against a dangerous fella.

the japenese dude looked tiny. thought he took it though with takedowns and connected punches. but it was close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back