The Beatles Remasters (1 Viewer)

I don't really have a problem with simple rhymes. In fact, I think that particular couplet would be far less memorable if it didn't rhyme. The song is uncorrupted, melodically, by the lyrics. They serve the melody beautifully, I reckon.
Useless to argue about it, of course.

Fair enough - each to their own. I'm totally not arguing. I wus just sayin' is all, standing on the corner, shootin' the breeze.

yep, that's the one I'll be getting (first - may get stereo afterwards. Dunno yet).
HMV are quoting 250 euro; it's no cheaper online. There was some panic that it would be limited but they seem to be pressing more.

That's not official yet Im told. It's actually a japanese import which complicates things slightly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving out about the Beatles or religion.

I must admit, I don't really get the beatles apart from a few songs. I forced myself to listen to Rubber Soul the whole way through recently and while it has some good moments, it's ruined (imho) by some very poor lyrics and melodies. Norwegian Wood is a good example, I think, as combination of the lyrics and the melody is trite ("Isn't it good/Norwegian wood").

While the beatles were very innovative in terms of production and formats etc, many of their songs are very much of their time.

I think religion is a valuable contributor to the development of art and also torture techniques. :)

i don't particularly like the beatles, but norwegian wood is cool, and that couplet always seemed to me like a pastiche of a simple rhyme -- like they put it in because it was childlike and simple.

also i just wanted to post this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yep, that's the one I'll be getting (first - may get stereo afterwards. Dunno yet).
HMV are quoting 250 euro; it's no cheaper online. There was some panic that it would be limited but they seem to be pressing more.

holy fuck. 250. that seems like a complete shaft for a stack of cds. if they sell about the 500 that'll be the mastering engineer paid. any chance you'd all just do the decent thing, download it all and spend the money in ireland??

Someone told me that the original run of 10,000 was going to be numbered but any subsequent pressings wouldn't be. Though he may have been making it up.

the CDs on sale today are the 1987 ones.

worldwide release date for the remasters is next Wednesday - 09/09/09

1) Individual stereo versions of
- Please Please Me
- With The Beatles
- A Hard Day's Night
- Beatles For Sale
- Help! (1987 George Martin remix)
- Rubber Soul (1987 George Martin remix)
- Revolver
- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- The Beatles
- Yellow Submarine
- Abbey Road
- Let it Be
- Past Masters

2) A box set containing all the above - the Stereo Box

3) A Mono Box containing
- Please Please Me
- With The Beatles
- A Hard Day's Night
- Beatles For Sale
- Help! (also includes original 1965 stereo mix)
- Rubber Soul (also includes original 1965 stereo mix)
- Revolver
- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- The Beatles
- Mono Masters

Mono titles not available separately.

Magical Mystery Tour should also be on those lists.

That's not official yet Im told. It's actually a japanese import which complicates things slightly.

Absolutely nothing wrong with giving out about the Beatles or religion.

I know all the mono sets are being assembled in Japan
but there also seems to be listings for the regular mono set and the "Japanese import version" (which is something like £375 sterling) on Amazon.

No official confirmation re more pressings is slightly worrying.

I want the Mono Box in vinyl and then Abbey Road on it's own. Does anyone know for defo if/when the Mono Box Vinyl will be around?

And to whoever asked why you would listen in Mono, why would you assume that stereo is automatically a better way of enjoying music? I have plenty of mono recordings that would not benefit at all from stereo mixing. Stereo is not 'better' it's just another option. Like 'surround'.

I want the Mono Box in vinyl and then Abbey Road on it's own. Does anyone know for defo if/when the Mono Box Vinyl will be around?

And to whoever asked why you would listen in Mono, why would you assume that stereo is automatically a better way of enjoying music? I have plenty of mono recordings that would not benefit at all from stereo mixing. Stereo is not 'better' it's just another option. Like 'surround'.

I can't see a mono vinyl box beating the original 60s mono LPs.

But I am sceptical of vinyl reissues generally. Much prefer to find an OG.

I beg to differ. The modern technology and pressing methods would at the very least improve the bass response over those originals. Macca is on record going on about how the EMI vinyl mastering engineers were so conservative when it came to levels (particularly bass) that he'd be tearing his hair out playing them Motown cuts and asking why they couldn't get his bass as loud as them. I'd say a modern pressed vinyl should be better than the originals in a couple of ways.

I beg to differ. The modern technology and pressing methods would at the very least improve the bass response over those originals. Macca is on record going on about how the EMI vinyl mastering engineers were so conservative when it came to levels (particularly bass) that he'd be tearing his hair out playing them Motown cuts and asking why they couldn't get his bass as loud as them. I'd say a modern pressed vinyl should be better than the originals in a couple of ways.

yesz, but never listen to the bassist RE: bass level.

I can't see a mono vinyl box beating the original 60s mono LPs.

But I am sceptical of vinyl reissues generally. Much prefer to find an OG.

31HREAHHEWL._SL500_AA180_.jpg

maybe because we have two ears?

I must admit, I don't really get the beatles apart from a few songs. I forced myself to listen to Rubber Soul the whole way through recently and while it has some good moments, it's ruined (imho) by some very poor lyrics and melodies. Norwegian Wood is a good example, I think, as combination of the lyrics and the melody is trite ("Isn't it good/Norwegian wood").

While the beatles were very innovative in terms of production and formats etc, many of their songs are very much of their time.

I think religion is a valuable contributor to the development of art and also torture techniques. :)

the one song I CANNOT stand is drive my car

'beep beep beep beep, yeah!'

it's how he sings it, ugh

the one song I CANNOT stand is drive my car

'beep beep beep beep, yeah!'

it's how he sings it, ugh

I love that song. Especially the beep beep bit.

I'm more of a Beatles fan than I thought. I watched the Beatles night on BBC2 (maybe 4) on Saturday between the two matches, and it basically gives me no option but to spend 300 euro on these box set lads.

Every single from Please Please Me to Taxman (not inclusive of Taxman) is absolutely amazing, incidentally. The best run of singles ever, ever. Except for Can't Buy Me Love, don't really like that one. Over.

Edit: turns out Taxman wasn't a single. I thought it was. There we go. So that makes it Please Please Me to We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper, inclusive. Then there's Paperback Writer, which is a bit rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back