The bands that got away… (1 Viewer)

Yeah, no way that photo was taken in the Vicar Street Shelter. That's the version of Palace Brothers from the 1993 tour @old put on, with Henrique Prince on violin, and Vicar Street didn't open until 1998

Oldham did play there with Pajo, night before they played the big room with Paul O'Reilly.
I think that was The Shelter in Cork. Shane Fitzsimons put them on as part of his Jazz Me Bollix antifestival. They were very taken with their Jazz Me Bollix t-shirts.

And there was a band called Shelter.
One of those miserable, shaved head hardcore bands.
....oh wait, they were hare krishnas.
I'm sure they were sound buuuh. ...

Johnny doing real well to confuse us all by throwing in his Cork venue.
I had a feeling it was a different place. I don't know if I ever went to the Dublin Shelter but I remember the flyers were very"90s nightclub club" so would be surprised if they had decent gigs there

so would be surprised if they had decent gigs there
(ahem)

(ahem)

with significant exceptions

cough

And there was a band called Shelter.
One of those miserable, shaved head hardcore bands.
....oh wait, they were hare krishnas.
I'm sure they were sound buuuh. ...

I stil like the first Shelter records

Other good Krishna related records

108 1st LP
Cro Mags 1st LP
Antidote 7"
Cause For Alarm"

So that's more good ones than I can think of good Christian records

(ahem)

I was at that! Great gig if memory serves

I was at that! Great gig if memory serves

That was slightly before I discovered there were IRISH bands? That were GOOD?

My only prior experience was some twee folky indie hippies from Belfast called Watercress in the Mean Fiddler and I only went because a friend’s girlfriend at the time was big into them with her mates.

Skip forward a couple of years and my first show on my own was a matinee with Avail and the Bouncing Souls. I didn’t stay for Lagwagon as I had to go to work.

My text one was Man or Astro-Man? and I think Zen Guerrilla supported them? Both were amazing.

But this is a thread about bands that got away so… I only saw Joan of Arse once, supporting A Silver Mt Zion, I think?

My only prior experience was some twee folky indie hippies from Belfast called Watercress in the Mean Fiddler and I only went because a friend’s girlfriend at the time was big into them with her mates.
Fuck me, I'd forgotten all about them. And I'm shocked I recognised this when I played it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Skip forward a couple of years and my first show on my own was a matinee with Avail and the Bouncing Souls. I didn’t stay for Lagwagon as I had to go to work.

My text one was Man or Astro-Man? and I think Zen Guerrilla supported them? Both were amazing.

But this is a thread about bands that got away so… I only saw Joan of Arse once, supporting A Silver Mt Zion, I think?
I think they supported Do Make Say Think around then too. Always good live any time I saw them.

Saw Joan of Arse live once, I think with Connect 4 Orchestra. Might have even seen them at Wonky...I remember Uptown Racquet smoked the place on the Sunday night...and never played much again [if ever]. That event was maybe 21 years ago now? Fuck me.

Back on JOA - they were fine live, but didn't compare to that gem of a full length they released which still holds up really well.

Didn’t Snow Patrol actually start in Glasgow? I remember they were the band all the haversack kids would go to see at the TBMC, years before they made it big.
Na, they were in Bangor before they moved to Glasgow - I once saw them play at "Red Bull Fest" to an empty car park beside the Waterfront Hall at 2pm on a drizzly Saturday, hahahaha.

Saw Joan of Arse live once, I think with Connect 4 Orchestra. Might have even seen them at Wonky...I remember Uptown Racquet smoked the place on the Sunday night...and never played much again [if ever]. That event was maybe 21 years ago now? Fuck me.

Back on JOA - they were fine live, but didn't compare to that gem of a full length they released which still holds up really well.

JOA had two albums, I thought? I only have and heard the first one, mind.

I saw the Connect 4 Orchestra supporting Fugazi at that show in the refurbed Red Box that started like 2 hours late because they were still sawing planks in the building when Fugazi arrived for sound check. So I was not in the mood to see a bloody support band.

Finding my ticket for tonight, just saw the Pet Shop Boys ticket. Didn't go to that, tired.

That reminds me, I splashed out on two expensive tickets for Nick Cave. I had them in my guitar bag and one practice session I realised they were gone. I naturally assumed the junkies who lived in the house had nicked them. Years later while looking for spare guitar strings I found the tickets in a different pocket if my guitar bag.

Sorry junkies, my mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back