The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (1 Viewer)

Alluring jewelry

10606347_10152872583256972_7886693156414795784_n.jpg

Also, a band I don't get: The Sex Pistols. I had Never Mind the Bollocks on in the car and it was honestly one of the most boring drives I've had in a long time, even with the weather out to destroy me. Probably the most overrated band in music history.

Well, maybe not the most timeless record ever made. You'd have to say that in its defence, a little context helps.

I've no problem with criticism, I think it's really important, my problem was to do with the more vitriolic style of hating on a band and how it's easier to do that than go out and do something yourself.

I think my post might have made more sense in the context of a wider conversation I was having in my head at the time.

My point is it's easier to criticise what someone else has done rather than going out and making something you want to hear instead.
You can create stuff without accepting that it'll be critiqued. That's part of the deal.

I've no problem with criticism, I think it's really important, my problem was to do with the more vitriolic style of hating on a band and how it's easier to do that than go out and do something yourself.

I think my post might have made more sense in the context of a wider conversation I was having in my head at the time.
Fuck the h8rs. I thought we were clear on this. IN fact, vitriolic trolldom just reinforces the importance of actual, considered critique. "That's shite" isn't an arguement. Unless I make it, because I do music and stuff.

I tend to think criticism of art is mostly an extension of a persons emotional state and little to do with the art

I think contemporary art like Tracy Emin et al is mostly an extension of a person's emotional state and little to do with art

The same can be said of Bill Haley and his Comets. Most people, even a lot of people in the 'vintage' scene thinks of them as music for old squares, but at the time it broke the mould.

Bill Haley still sounds exciting to me though, most 50s rock and roll does as it captures that youthful exuberance and energy. I find The Sex Pistols (in the studio at least) lack this. I reckon they probably had tons of it live though and, as I said earlier, that could account more for their power at the time (and fit with the "you had to be there" arguments). Out of interest, can anyone recommend a good Pistols live recording/bootleg for comparison?

or tell michael winner to make his own fuckin' dinner after he criticised a restaurant

Initially I liked this but felt a "Winner" rating was more appropriate.

You're right of course but George does have a point as well. Frequently it's the most dismissive people, who critique the loudest that have the shittest bands themselves or worse still never tried their hand at anything.

I enjoy playing music but I don't feel that I have to put an album out for review in order to be able to critique the music of others. Critique itself is a creative form and I would argue that more artists should spend time as a critic before developing their own art. Get into the mindset of listening and analysing (on any level, not always or even often on a philosophical level), then press record.

I'm listening to Never Mind the Bollocks now and it sounds fairly timeless to me.

REASON REASON REASON REASON

actually will someone recommend me a Status Quo album that sounds exactly like this? I could do with some more

It does start to drag around Submission though o_O

really feels like they're forcing themselves to play this against their own will

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back