The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (8 Viewers)

I don't mind people criticising bands they hate. That's fine and all. I don't agree people that people need to create art to appreciate or criticise it. What I have a problem with is when people take an example of a band they hate as proof that there's no decent music being produced. It's like I was having a conversation with a guy one night who was saying that there's no original music being made right now and the fact that Bell X1 had released a song that sounded like Talking Heads was proof of this. That sort of shit breaks my brain

I don't mind people criticising bands they hate. That's fine and all. I don't agree people that people need to create art to appreciate or criticise it. What I have a problem with is when people take an example of a band they hate as proof that there's no decent music being produced. It's like I was having a conversation with a guy one night who was saying that there's no original music being made right now and the fact that Bell X1 had released a song that sounded like Talking Heads was proof of this. That sort of shit breaks my brain
Also, that song was released in January 2009. Pokerface was a current hit back then. This was back when people still liked Fleet Foxes!

I can't find the thread

Is anyone seeing herbie Hancock...off his tits..making art

whatever happened them lads?

The singer fella went back to college. Hope they do more. One of the best bands I ever saw play live.

Robin Pecknold Explains Fleet Foxes Hiatus | News | Pitchfork

Fleet Foxes' last album Helplessness Blues came out three years ago. If you're wondering what they've been up to, frontman Robin Pecknold has shared an update on the band's Facebook (via CoS).

Apparently, Pecknold has been writing new material (which may not surface any time soon) while he's been working toward his undergraduate degree. He writes:

For anyone who's curious, this is a short Fleet Foxes update - been a while! So, after the last round of touring, I decided to go back to school. I never got an undergraduate degree, and this felt like the right time to both see what that was about and to try something new after a while in the touring / recording lifestyle. I moved to New York and enrolled at Columbia, and I've mostly been doing that, but I'm working on songs and excited for whatever happens next musically, even if it's down the line. Hope all is well out there.

Best,
Robin

I agree with @Cornu Ammonis that more artists should develop rigorous critical faculties in relation to their own work...they'd have thicker skins. It's sometimes impossibly hard to be critical inside a band/other creative situation, never mind on an anonymous public forum where you haven't built up a relationship of trust and respect with the person you're critiquing.

The ideal situation for a critic to be taken seriously would be like in one of the Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy books, where Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect visit the oracle. She gives them her autobiography before she will answer their questions, so that they can see for themselves if her advice is worth anything and how it has served her.

The singer fella went back to college. Hope they do more. One of the best bands I ever saw play live.

Robin Pecknold Explains Fleet Foxes Hiatus | News | Pitchfork

Fleet Foxes' last album Helplessness Blues came out three years ago. If you're wondering what they've been up to, frontman Robin Pecknold has shared an update on the band's Facebook (via CoS).

Apparently, Pecknold has been writing new material (which may not surface any time soon) while he's been working toward his undergraduate degree. He writes:

For anyone who's curious, this is a short Fleet Foxes update - been a while! So, after the last round of touring, I decided to go back to school. I never got an undergraduate degree, and this felt like the right time to both see what that was about and to try something new after a while in the touring / recording lifestyle. I moved to New York and enrolled at Columbia, and I've mostly been doing that, but I'm working on songs and excited for whatever happens next musically, even if it's down the line. Hope all is well out there.

Best,
Robin
reading this made me think about Tim Smith and to wonder how his solo project is progressing. Then lo-and-behold he sends an e-mail update today;

I wanted to take a moment to write and let those who are interested know what's going on with Harp. As many of you know, I've never been one to rush the process of making music. And I am finding that with Harp, the music is coming even more slowly than I would like. So, while good things are happening musically, the release date of this project is still unknown. In fact, if I'm honest, at this stage it's feeling far away with no end in sight.

Many of you have been kind to write and encourage me as I've been working through this, and I know that many of you are eagerly awaiting more from me. I can't tell you how grateful I am for your support and encouragement. Thank you all.

Just know that the work continues, that I'm doing my best to continue to work on what I hope will be a really meaningful album.

Again, thanks to all of you. I will let you know of any new developments as they come. Until then...

Peace and Love,
Tim

no going so well then

reading this made me think about Tim Smith and to wonder how his solo project is progressing. Then lo-and-behold he sends an e-mail update today;

Not going so well then

Hopefully he gets something together. Sometimes bands/artists can overthink it, resulting in a weaker album. What about spontaneity?! Easier said than done I suppose.

I loved Midlake's first couple of albums, especially the 2nd - Van Occupanther. The 3rd one left me a bit cold with its lack of melodies.

Hopefully he gets something together. Sometimes bands/artists can overthink it, resulting in a weaker album. What about spontaneity?! Easier said than done I suppose.

I loved Midlake's first couple of albums, especially the 2nd - Van Occupanther. The 3rd one left me a bit cold with its lack of melodies.
Midlake had practically finished another album with Smith when the whole thing was scrapped at the last minute and he walked away from the band. Seems overthinking it is his forte.

I think the problem with the 3rd album is the ordering of the tracks. Take any one in isolation and it'll be grand. Put them together and you lose the will to live.

Not much of a Midlake fan at all at all, but here are some Tim Smiths I DO get:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can

wtf.gif

If you don't get this, you don't get music:

i thought i got music but then i listened to the first half of this and realised i don't got it. maybe i got rhythm instead? or daisies in green pastures?

i do still like music though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back