The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (4 Viewers)

Can

wtf.gif
Ha! Are you saying this because you don't get them, but want to get them? I was thinking about writing Patti Smith down in this thread, but then I realised I do get her, I just don't like her much, apart from a few songs. Which is fine.

If you do want to "get" them, read some of the interviews (from whenever), especially the ones with Jaki in them. It's very striking when you read their words how unlike other bands - then and now - they are. Irmin "theorises" in interviews, and Holger mythologises. Both these things probably seem necessary to them, but to me that way of talking about a band is unhelpful, and a bit juvenile. Every big band does it. But then they'll all talk about HOW they worked and learned together, and it's just magic to read.

I fucking LOVE Can.

I'm listening to this Mother Sky song now. It's pretty great but do they do anything else? I wouldn't want more than one 15 minute song that sounds like this in my life. It's v. good though, must stress that.

I know I have listened to them before but I can't remember. I just remember this motorik-kraut-rock beat thingy as the "can-sound".

I'm listening to this Mother Sky song now. It's pretty great but do they do anything else? I wouldn't want more than one 15 minute song that sounds like this in my life. It's v. good though, must stress that.

I know I have listened to them before but I can't remember. I just remember this motorik-kraut-rock beat thingy as the "can-sound".
They do tend to only change when it's necessary :)
They have lots of that kind of thing, and it's what they'd be perhaps best known for. But there's plenty of more succinct song-based stuff. The entire Ege Bamyasi album being a great example. And this piece of perfectly balanced elegance from Future Days:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ha! Are you saying this because you don't get them, but want to get them? I was thinking about writing Patti Smith down in this thread, but then I realised I do get her, I just don't like her much, apart from a few songs. Which is fine.

I've given up trying to get them now. I quite like some of their stuff but I don't get what it is about them that seems to strike such a strong chord with most people I know that have listened to them.

I don't get or like Patti Smith

I've given up trying to get them now. I quite like some of their stuff but I don't get what it is about them that seems to strike such a strong chord with most people I know that have listened to them.

I don't get or like Patti Smith

If there is a CAN song to change your mind, it might be this one.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hmph. Spose ;)

P.S. @Shaney that tune hasn't been going down well at all. It's 3/4 of Can doing music for a German tv series.

I accidentally WTFed that, listening now for the first time. I quite like it, pretty catchy. If I was a Can fan I'd probably think it was great. I find that I'm much more tolerant of rubbish music if it was made by someone I think was great in their earlier years (e.g. peter hammill or roy harper - I can find something to like in most of their worst albums)

I accidentally WTFed that, listening now for the first time. I quite like it, pretty catchy. If I was a Can fan I'd probably think it was great. I find that I'm much more tolerant of rubbish music if it was made by someone I think was great in their earlier years (e.g. peter hammill or roy harper - I can find something to like in most of their worst albums)
This is deserving of a thread of its own.

I just looked him up. If you like mid 70s, non-threatening, adult oriented easy listening you'd probably like him

I do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back