The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (5 Viewers)

You see, I can completely understand the whole cultural phenomenon surrounding The Sex Pistols (looking like they did, swearing on TV and blowing people's socks off live) but it's why the album itself is as lauded as it is even today. Talking to people who were there, the cultural swing seems so strong that this album is far from just an album to them but for people who grew up after punk, I can't understand why they can get so into this but not Status Quo, Dire Straits and other forms of sonic wallpaper.

ah now - dire straits is a whole other order of crap.

not a great album - some great individual tracks on it. important in its time.

Whenever I see someone going on a big rant about a band that they hate, I always want to ask them to post one of their own songs.

I don't get this. If someone says they hate Michael Winner's movies do you expect them to post a link to one of their own movies?

You see, I can completely understand the whole cultural phenomenon surrounding The Sex Pistols (looking like they did, swearing on TV and blowing people's socks off live) but it's why the album itself is as lauded as it is even today. Talking to people who were there, the cultural swing seems so strong that this album is far from just an album to them but for people who grew up after punk, I can't understand why they can get so into this but not Status Quo, Dire Straits and other forms of sonic wallpaper.

The same can be said of Bill Haley and his Comets. Most people, even a lot of people in the 'vintage' scene thinks of them as music for old squares, but at the time it broke the mould.

I hated Status Quo when I was growing up, dismissing them as rock music for boggers . It wasn't until I started playing on bands that they clicked with me.

I don't get this. If someone says they hate Michael Winner's movies do you expect them to post a link to one of their own movies?

No, and to be honest it's just a personal gripe. It just annoys me that often it's the people who are the most vocal about hating bands have never made an effort to do anything creative themselves.

No, and to be honest it's just a personal gripe. It just annoys me that often it's the people who are the most vocal about hating bands have never made an effort to do anything creative themselves.
You don't have to have been a horse to be a jockey. Critique is valid and necessary. The overwhelming majority of music is shite and we need to be told this repeatedly. Otherwise we're all listening to Yaysayer and thinking we're cool. We're not cool.

You don't have to have been a horse to be a jockey. Critique is valid and necessary. The overwhelming majority of music is shite and we need to be told this repeatedly. Otherwise we're all listening to Yaysayer and thinking we're cool. We're not cool.
You're right of course but George does have a point as well. Frequently it's the most dismissive people, who critique the loudest that have the shittest bands themselves or worse still never tried their hand at anything.

So your issue is not that they music they might make is shite itself, rather it's that they haven't made any?

Why do we need to be told what we like?
Opinions contrary to yours are valid. If anything the "medal on the table" argument is elitist. Only those who create, for whatever reason, can critique. That's like saying only those in government can protest.

COP ON, GEORGE.

You're right of course but George does have a point as well. Frequently it's the most dismissive people, who critique the loudest that have the shittest bands themselves or worse still never tried their hand at anything.
They've tried their hand at internet troll-critique. That's gotta worth something, right?

Opinions contrary to yours are valid. If anything the "medal on the table" argument is elitist. Only those who create, for whatever reason, can critique. That's like saying only those in government can protest.

COP ON, GEORGE.

Hey Hector, I'm not elitist

⊂_ヽ I'M
  \\ _
   \( •_•) F
    < ⌒ヽ A
   /   へ\ B
   /  / \\ U
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ L
  / / O
  / /| U
 ( (ヽ S
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
(_/

Hey Hector, I'm not elitist

⊂_ヽ I'M
  \\ _
   \( •_•) F
    < ⌒ヽ A
   /   へ\ B
   /  / \\ U
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ L
  / / O
  / /| U
 ( (ヽ S
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
(_/
not elitist, simply ELITE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back