The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (5 Viewers)

its grand like.
the chords actually remind me of a savage garden song unfortunately. she's got a nice voice but it sure as fuck isnt anything to write home about. fairly MOR to my ears. standard, but shit? no. just dont get all the hype.

I like the bit where she sung chance with that massive broad english "a" but it's pretty boring.

its grand like.
the chords actually remind me of a savage garden song unfortunately. she's got a nice voice but it sure as fuck isnt anything to write home about. fairly MOR to my ears. standard, but shit? no. just dont get all the hype.

completely agree. listened to the album a couple of times on spotify about a month ago due to the bit of hype surrounding it. I knows what I likes at this stage but whatever bits I heard about or read about it or however I was aware of this album I gave it a chance. Bland. Bland krud.

too harsh maybe. just wasn't as good as people were banging on about. for me anyway. and ernesto obviously. why were so many people making a big deal of it?

completely agree. listened to the album a couple of times on spotify about a month ago due to the bit of hype surrounding it. I knows what I likes at this stage but whatever bits I heard about or read about it or however I was aware of this album I gave it a chance. Bland. Bland krud.

too harsh maybe. just wasn't as good as people were banging on about. for me anyway. and ernesto obviously. why were so many people making a big deal of it?

Though I wrote off Death Grips aswell only to be blown away watching them live. Not sure how this could turn it for me live. I'll probably give the album a few spins to be fair

I realised a very long time ago that trying to convince people something is good or bad is a waste of time. No one's gonna convince me so trying to convince others is pointless.

Pointing out connections is good though.
just want to point out that I have no interest in changing someone's opinion and I have no interest in having them change mine but I still want to know what they think about something. Your pointless is my interesting.

Last edited:
Also, a band I don't get: The Sex Pistols. I had Never Mind the Bollocks on in the car and it was honestly one of the most boring drives I've had in a long time, even with the weather out to destroy me. Probably the most overrated band in music history.
I think it's a fun rocknroll album, I rarely put it on though. At the time I'm sure the vocals were a bit of a surprise to hear on mainstream radio.

After years of jumping back and forth over it I'm now convinced that it in fact does live up to the hype in regards it's cultural power and all that jazz. Yes, other people were making more extreme music, but only off in their progressive cloister, this was at number 1 in the charts, back when that really meant something. Yes, it could have been anyone, but the fact remains that it was them.

It's probably much more interesting from a historical point of view rather than a straight up personal aesthetic one, but I do find that understanding the context of music can make me appreciate it more, although that might be sacrilege to the "it's just music man, you just like it, stop thinking" crowd.

You see, I can completely understand the whole cultural phenomenon surrounding The Sex Pistols (looking like they did, swearing on TV and blowing people's socks off live) but it's why the album itself is as lauded as it is even today. Talking to people who were there, the cultural swing seems so strong that this album is far from just an album to them but for people who grew up after punk, I can't understand why they can get so into this but not Status Quo, Dire Straits and other forms of sonic wallpaper.

You see, I can completely understand the whole cultural phenomenon surrounding The Sex Pistols (looking like they did, swearing on TV and blowing people's socks off live) but it's why the album itself is as lauded as it is even today. Talking to people who were there, the cultural swing seems so strong that this album is far from just an album to them but for people who grew up after punk, I can't understand why they can get so into this but not Status Quo, Dire Straits and other forms of sonic wallpaper.
At a guess, it's because people still get into them while very young. I think it'll fade in time. Anyone who was a teenager in the 80's or 90's was getting into music with a lot of first generation punks writing about what was good and bad. Nowadays the yoof are less likely to be getting into music via the music press.

its grand like.

as if this could ever be a bad thing????

My sister described the singer of that band as not having one ounce of masculinity

but aside from that

savage garden?

really?

Last edited:
Yes. I mean I know they're awful, but I was like 9 when they came out and I retain a deep, all-penetrating love for the cheese i was into when i was 9/

Don't get me wrong, theyre awful.

Yes. I mean I know they're awful, but I was like 9 when they came out and I retain a deep, all-penetrating love for the cheese i was into when i was 9/

Don't get me wrong, theyre awful.

confused.jpg

I'd like to make some argument about how he's actually brilliant, maybe reference his super personal drum machine and synth 2004 Tension and the Spark solo album, but no, he's awful shite. I'm just a good friend who will go along to anything.

Animal Collective.

For almost all my life I've never liked AC/DC. Just didn't get it, most of my pals as teenagers loved 'em.

About 5 years ago, maybe, I heard Riff Raff somewhere and instantly it clicked. Wish it had clicked twenty years earlier!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back