That show the mentalist was abusing Pat Kenny on (1 Viewer)

Pat hasn't lost it: "When you were buying the house, were you not worried that it was in an estate called Waterways?"

Have they blamed

Theirry Henry

The fat cat property developers

The government

Teenagers

The poles

The Blax

The Recession

The EU

The Spanish Fishermen

The EC

The common agricultural policy

The Brits

The Dubs

The Famine

The Vikings

The Dinosaurs

The Primordial Goo

The Big Bang

Or did they just claim 'twas God and the time of purification was at hand?

Have they blamed

Theirry Henry

The government

Teenagers

The poles

The Blax

The Recession

The EU

The Spanish Fishermen

The EC

The Brits

The Dubs

The Famine

The Vikings

The Dinosaurs

The Primordial Goo

The Big Bang

You left out the boogie.

Have they blamed

Theirry Henry

The government

Teenagers

The poles

The Blax

The Recession

The EU

The Spanish Fishermen

The EC

The Brits

The Dubs

The Famine

The Vikings

The Dinosaurs

The Primordial Goo

The Big Bang

Sorry, I think you're mistaking them with Taxi Drivers

Have they blamed

Theirry Henry

The government

Teenagers

The poles

The Blax

The Recession

The EU

The Spanish Fishermen

The EC

The Brits

The Dubs

The Famine

The Vikings

The Dinosaurs

The Primordial Goo

The Big Bang

From the gist I got of it, the Floods were basically the fault of, in no particular order:

The Government

The Army

Truck Drivers

Property Developers

Builders

The ESB

Whatever the National Flood Management agency is called

Insurance Agencies

People dumping stuff into the Shannon

Holland

The Recession

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Nothing to do with the fact that there's been a fuckload of rain or anything like that.
These people are mental. At one point even Pat Kenny pointed out that there was one town that flooded for basically the first time ever, saying the government should have been prepared for it something.
There was one shopkeeper on talking about how his business got flooded. Pat Kenny said "Are you completely out of business then?"
Reply: "No, but I can't keep it going unless I get a subsidy of some sort"
I mean, you're either fucked or you're not like.
The real fact of it is, whilst the floods are just caused by warming temperatures due to industrial country's mistreatment of the world, if all the people on that show didn't have their cars and TVs all the manufactured shit that is responsible for greenhouse gas emissions in the first place, they'd be complaining about how far behind the world Ireland is.
People in this country are just greedy, they want all their modern technology and shit and don't want to think about the consequences, it's completely typical of the attitude taken to conservation and the environment in Ireland.
etc etc etc sure I could rant on for ages about this stuff.

I thought the gist was:

In cork - the flood walls were pathetic (mayor said they'd been trying to improve them), and there was a lack of information about how much water was coming from inniscarra and how it would effect people

In floodplains - why were developers given planning permission for flood plains in the first place.

Everywhere - why didn't the government mobilize the army/whoever to help people who were at risk.

And to be fair, if your house was under seven feet of water you probably wouldn't be so reasonable/coherent either.

The most interesting comment was from the man with the American accent who claimed (I've not reason to think he was lying) that while you can get maps with the flood plains in the North that there are none available in the Republic.

The most interesting comment was from the man with the American accent who claimed (I've not reason to think he was lying) that while you can get maps with the flood plains in the North that there are none available in the Republic.
Fairly sure his point was that in the north there's a database thing that you can easily check when buying a house, which you cannot in the south, you have to go looking for maps and shit.

Fairly sure his point was that in the north there's a database thing that you can easily check when buying a house, which you cannot in the south, you have to go looking for maps and shit.

Yep this is the case alright, the UK government along with Insurance Companies brought this is in a while back. It's supposed to happen here but not yet it seems. We did a case study in college(in the north) about some developments in Carrick on Shannon were super high risk of flooding. I think the UK stuff happened when Canary Wharf was being developed IIRC.

Still most people with any kind of local knowledge would know the flood plains. Also anyone with with a decent geographic knowledge could tell you areas at risk but as we've seen from various tribunals; brown envelopes lead to rezoning without any heed of environmental factors such as risk of flooding.

From the gist I got of it, the Floods were basically the fault of, in no particular order:

The Government

The Army

Truck Drivers

Property Developers

Builders

The ESB

Whatever the National Flood Management agency is called

Insurance Agencies

People dumping stuff into the Shannon

Holland

The Recession

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Nothing to do with the fact that there's been a fuckload of rain or anything like that.
These people are mental. At one point even Pat Kenny pointed out that there was one town that flooded for basically the first time ever, saying the government should have been prepared for it something.
There was one shopkeeper on talking about how his business got flooded. Pat Kenny said "Are you completely out of business then?"
Reply: "No, but I can't keep it going unless I get a subsidy of some sort"
I mean, you're either fucked or you're not like.
The real fact of it is, whilst the floods are just caused by warming temperatures due to industrial country's mistreatment of the world, if all the people on that show didn't have their cars and TVs all the manufactured shit that is responsible for greenhouse gas emissions in the first place, they'd be complaining about how far behind the world Ireland is.
People in this country are just greedy, they want all their modern technology and shit and don't want to think about the consequences, it's completely typical of the attitude taken to conservation and the environment in Ireland.
etc etc etc sure I could rant on for ages about this stuff.

bravo.

there should be a two tier society now,

flooded greedy bastards

and

non affected observers who can watch tele and drive around hassle free.

My essential point is that there's no point blaming the government (for once) for a shit load of rain falling on Ireland. Especially when the same government has been voted into power in successive elections.

My essential point is that there's no point blaming the government (for once) for a shit load of rain falling on Ireland. Especially when the same government has been voted into power in successive elections.

I dunno about that, extreme weather and an extraordinary increase in rainfall has been predicted for the last ten years or so yet the government/planning authority still went ahead and rezoned land that should never be developed on and did little or nothing to prevent a disaster like what's happened. Knowing they are corrupt and still voting for them doesn't make them any less corrupt and certainly doesn't absolve responsibility for the lack of flood prevention measures along with all the bad planning decisions that were made.

I don't think they were blaming the government for the rain, more the lack of response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back