suggestions for new irish manager thread. (1 Viewer)

football manager is made by the people who made the first few championship managers. they kept the format, while the company who made them kept the name. can't remember precise facts right now, but football manager is essentially championship manager without the name. and yeah, much better

Well I took over in 2007. My first task was to buy a bunch of shit Northern Irish players who were still better than my team. We won the league and got promoted, with the help of my 16 year old top goalscorer, one of the only decent players I started with.
In 2008 I bolstered the squad with more crap Northern Irish players. Some shrewd midfield signings made the team competitive, and although we didn't win the league, we did win the Irish cup, qualifying for the UEFA cup in the process.
In 2009, yet more crap Northern Irish players were brought in. However it was noticeable at this stage that I actually had most of the best players in Northern Ireland in my squad, having stolen them all off other teams. And the young ones were developing quite well too. We crashed out of the UEFA cup early, but went on to win the league and the league cup, getting us to the qualifying stages of the Champions League.
2010 is where the genius began to show. We made it into the Champions League, after being landed with a ridiculously good draw in the qualifiers (some shit Swedish team we fucking hammered, followed by Sparta Prague and Partizan Belgrade. Belgrade got dumped in the third round, Prague lost out on away goals because they couldn't hold it together at the back). However, we were promptly dumped out of the Champions League in the group stages, despite three notable draws, two against Ajax and one at home to Marseille. Real Madrid hammered the living shit out of us.
At this stage though the team was beginning to come together. Our strong defense (cause defenders are easy to buy) and direct long-ball tactics were causing better teams problems, and we ran away with the league easily because we'd bought most of the other teams good players. This year also saw another Irish Cup win, for the double.
On to 2011, and this is the glory year. Having made some superb signings in the Summer, greatly bolstering our defence, and signing the best midfielder in Northern Ireland, and then signing towering striker Paul Conlon (6'4 100% aerial ability, best at heading, jumping, etc that you can get!) from Cliftonville, we developed a game Jack Charlton's Ireland would have been proud of.
Conlon proved a terror to opposition defences, winning all the aerial balls and if not scoring from headers then knocking it down for a smaller pacier strike partner to put it in the net.
The Champions League 3rd round qualifier was a nightmare draw, vs. Dynamo Kiev. However our chances were decent after holding out superbly for a 0-0 draw at home. We'd need something special in Kiev though, and we got it. After we scored with a first minute penalty, Kiev promptly had 3 men sent off, and we cruised the rest of the game to hold on for 1-0. Into the Champions League again!
This year we got drawn against Slavia Prague, Man Ure, and Hertha Berlin. Prague got hammered home and away because they were fucking shit, but the crux of the campaign came at Old Trafford. After going in 2-0 down at half-time, some stern management words led to a stirring comeback, and the lads came out with a 2-2 draw. A draw at home to Man U and 2 draws against Hertha Berlin were enough to get us through to the second round, after Man U hammered everyone else.
The rest of the Champions League campaign was a fairy tale. Paul Conlon felled the mighty Roma in the second leg at the Stadio Olympico with a goal in the 89th minute for a 1-1 win on away goals. Man. U got the exact same treatment, except the Dundela goal was a United O.G in the 87th minute. Thanks Richardson. Celtic got hammered in the semi final, they couldn't handle the physical pressure from all the 6'4 players in my team, (most of the defence was that height too) and they were shit anyway. It all fell to Liverpool to stop us in the final, but they couldn't do it. We won 1-0 after a 40 yard goal from left winger Ryan McIlmoyle in the 77th minute. It wasn't his fault Reina was 30 yards off his line at the time for no apparent reason, and the ball barely had enough momentum to trickle in. Dundela were the Champions of Europe, and using only the shit Northern Irish players that would actually sign for us.

So basically, when you've got a shit team, get some gigantic bastard of a striker to stand up front, play 4-4-2 with the wingers going forward, get the defence to just boot the ball away when they get it and the striker will knock it down for a winger or his strike partner to run onto and stick it in the net.
this reminds me of rimmers risk notebook.
good job tho. not that i have the time no more. bah.

Well I took over in 2007. My first task was to buy a bunch of shit Northern Irish players who were still better than my team. We won the league and got promoted, with the help of my 16 year old top goalscorer, one of the only decent players I started with.
In 2008 I bolstered the squad with more crap Northern Irish players. Some shrewd midfield signings made the team competitive, and although we didn't win the league, we did win the Irish cup, qualifying for the UEFA cup in the process.
In 2009, yet more crap Northern Irish players were brought in. However it was noticeable at this stage that I actually had most of the best players in Northern Ireland in my squad, having stolen them all off other teams. And the young ones were developing quite well too. We crashed out of the UEFA cup early, but went on to win the league and the league cup, getting us to the qualifying stages of the Champions League.
2010 is where the genius began to show. We made it into the Champions League, after being landed with a ridiculously good draw in the qualifiers (some shit Swedish team we fucking hammered, followed by Sparta Prague and Partizan Belgrade. Belgrade got dumped in the third round, Prague lost out on away goals because they couldn't hold it together at the back). However, we were promptly dumped out of the Champions League in the group stages, despite three notable draws, two against Ajax and one at home to Marseille. Real Madrid hammered the living shit out of us.
At this stage though the team was beginning to come together. Our strong defense (cause defenders are easy to buy) and direct long-ball tactics were causing better teams problems, and we ran away with the league easily because we'd bought most of the other teams good players. This year also saw another Irish Cup win, for the double.
On to 2011, and this is the glory year. Having made some superb signings in the Summer, greatly bolstering our defence, and signing the best midfielder in Northern Ireland, and then signing towering striker Paul Conlon (6'4 100% aerial ability, best at heading, jumping, etc that you can get!) from Cliftonville, we developed a game Jack Charlton's Ireland would have been proud of.
Conlon proved a terror to opposition defences, winning all the aerial balls and if not scoring from headers then knocking it down for a smaller pacier strike partner to put it in the net.
The Champions League 3rd round qualifier was a nightmare draw, vs. Dynamo Kiev. However our chances were decent after holding out superbly for a 0-0 draw at home. We'd need something special in Kiev though, and we got it. After we scored with a first minute penalty, Kiev promptly had 3 men sent off, and we cruised the rest of the game to hold on for 1-0. Into the Champions League again!
This year we got drawn against Slavia Prague, Man Ure, and Hertha Berlin. Prague got hammered home and away because they were fucking shit, but the crux of the campaign came at Old Trafford. After going in 2-0 down at half-time, some stern management words led to a stirring comeback, and the lads came out with a 2-2 draw. A draw at home to Man U and 2 draws against Hertha Berlin were enough to get us through to the second round, after Man U hammered everyone else.
The rest of the Champions League campaign was a fairy tale. Paul Conlon felled the mighty Roma in the second leg at the Stadio Olympico with a goal in the 89th minute for a 1-1 win on away goals. Man. U got the exact same treatment, except the Dundela goal was a United O.G in the 87th minute. Thanks Richardson. Celtic got hammered in the semi final, they couldn't handle the physical pressure from all the 6'4 players in my team, (most of the defence was that height too) and they were shit anyway. It all fell to Liverpool to stop us in the final, but they couldn't do it. We won 1-0 after a 40 yard goal from left winger Ryan McIlmoyle in the 77th minute. It wasn't his fault Reina was 30 yards off his line at the time for no apparent reason, and the ball barely had enough momentum to trickle in. Dundela were the Champions of Europe, and using only the shit Northern Irish players that would actually sign for us.

So basically, when you've got a shit team, get some gigantic bastard of a striker to stand up front, play 4-4-2 with the wingers going forward, get the defence to just boot the ball away when they get it and the striker will knock it down for a winger or his strike partner to run onto and stick it in the net.

this is way better than real soccer

Jesus Christ. How did you remember all that?

Urge to buy the new Football Manager....growing.....

My claim to fame is taking a shit Man City side to heights even Sven couldn't dream of. We became regular Champions Leage qualifiers. One bad season saw me lose the support of a fickle board so I quit and joined Brescia in Italy. I promptly won the league with them on the last day of the season before resigning. Managed Ireland in the European Championships, got to the final - lost on penalties. Currently topping Serie A with Juventus. Andrew Keogh and Van Persie leading the line.

I reckon we'd make the ideal management team, so long as we didn't have to actually interact with any real footballers.

Robbie Keane - All out attack (get forward you fucking tool) creativity = 0 (for fuck sake just shoot instead of trying to dribble round the entire fucking defence!) passing - direct (jesus christ will you just fucking give him the ball, he's been waiting for it for two years you ball greedy wee wanker!)

Aidan McGeady - See above

John O'Shea - na mate, you're not even getting on you're that shite.

Football manager is the way to go.

It's interesting that Giles has ruled himself out of the selection committee as it would 'compromise' his media work.
In other words, he won't be able to criticise others instead.
Sounds like he's more of a chickenshit then.

It's interesting that Giles has ruled himself out of the selection committee as it would 'compromise' his media work.
In other words, he won't be able to criticise others instead.
Sounds like he's more of a chickenshit then.

christ, he's barely able to string coherent sentence together these days, don't think he can compromise his media work anymore than his senile old brain already has! time to retire gilesy!

So the last match. A draw should be good enough to secure third in the group, but if the Czechs field a weak team against the Slovaks and they grab a point we're in trouble. Highly unlikely but these results can happen when groups are wrapped up at this stage. With all the problems our next world class manager is going to have to contend with, we could do without going into the next qualifying campaign as a fourth seed . We should beat Wales.. should...

i don't see that it really matters, wheely. the third seed in our group was slovakia, and they're shit. the second was the czechs, and they were there for the taking. we could have had germany at croker cos they didn't give a fuck.. does seeding really matter? there's only about 5 teams who are really good.... the rest, well, they're us. or worse. sweden, denmark, belgium, bulgaria, romania, used to be you'd want to avoid these teams.... now, not so much. i mean, if norn iron can beat spain and scotland do the double over france, who's there really to fear?

i don't see that it really matters, wheely. the third seed in our group was slovakia, and they're shit. the second was the czechs, and they were there for the taking. we could have had germany at croker cos they didn't give a fuck.. does seeding really matter? there's only about 5 teams who are really good.... the rest, well, they're us. or worse. sweden, denmark, belgium, bulgaria, romania, used to be you'd want to avoid these teams.... now, not so much. i mean, if norn iron can beat spain and scotland do the double over france, who's there really to fear?

cyprus

Fear itself?

The FAI?

Fair enough Dip, I really don't give a monkeys anyway. Maybe they should spice the game up for the spectatators. The players could play in animal costumes or use giant Timmy mallets to hit each other with instead of tackling. That'd be a good way to spend a dreary Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back