suggestions for new irish manager thread. (1 Viewer)

McGeady is finally starting to play like he should be. He was fucking immense against Benfica, easily man of the match there.

I thought the turnaround in his performances for Ireland on Saturday was remarkable. He looked full of confidence and he worked his bollocks off and with a few sublime moments of skill thrown in too. I was well impressed.

I think he's finally gaining enough experience and confidence in his own ability to realise what he can do in a match, and he seems to be using his brain a bit more too. Hopefully we will see more and more of it in the future. It makes such a difference when he's not just getting the ball and running past 2 people before giving it away with a shit pass or something.

i think mcgeady has really suffered with the hype. was it o'neill who said that mcgeady was doing ronaldinhos tricks before ronaldinho! he is a good young player but he has suffered playing in a shite league where he can look extra-ordinary. then when he transfers to international games he looks ordinary. give him some time and hopefully a move out of the spl

I agree, the SPL clearly damages players careers. Take Shaun Maloney and Stilian Petrov for example, in the SPL they used to tire themselves out playing every match and being assured of regular football. Now they're having a great time warming up the Villa bench and playing fuck all football, that's the life! And don't forget yer man Henrik Larsson, the SPL ruined him because he spent so long there. His skills detiorated so much there that he barely had the genius left to win the Champions League for Barcelona and get recognised as the greatest striker of his time. Imagine how good he would have been if he'd moved to Newcastle or someone and sat on their bench for a few years? Shocking.

Fuck sake like. When all the available evidence points to the contrary, when it's blatantly obvious that most players are better off actually playing football in the SPL than sitting on the bench at a "better" club, you still get the same old shite about how players should be moving out of the SPL to England to "further their careers".

Shaun Maloney - played regularly in the League and Champions League for Celtic, member of the first team, getting better all the time, moved to Villa - sits on the bench and goes nowhere

Liam Miller - As above, moved to United - shite. Only now starting to turn around at Sunderland. Sure, I'd much rather play for Sunderland than be guaranteed Champions League football with Celtic. Fuck sake like.

Petrov - As above.

Boumsong - Hailed as Rangers' finest asset, moved to Newcastle - sit on the bench there mate.

Barry Ferguson - moved to Blackburn, sat on the bench for a couple of years, moved back to Glasgow.

Very few players actually benefit from moving from the SPL to England. The only recent one I can think of offhand is Craig Gordon.
Far more players move to England from the SPL and then turn to shite because they don't get regular football, when they could have gone on to acheive so much more.

I agree, the SPL clearly damages players careers. Take Shaun Maloney and Stilian Petrov for example, in the SPL they used to tire themselves out playing every match and being assured of regular football. Now they're having a great time warming up the Villa bench and playing fuck all football, that's the life! And don't forget yer man Henrik Larsson, the SPL ruined him because he spent so long there. His skills detiorated so much there that he barely had the genius left to win the Champions League for Barcelona and get recognised as the greatest striker of his time. Imagine how good he would have been if he'd moved to Newcastle or someone and sat on their bench for a few years? Shocking.

Fuck sake like. When all the available evidence points to the contrary, when it's blatantly obvious that most players are better off actually playing football in the SPL than sitting on the bench at a "better" club, you still get the same old shite about how players should be moving out of the SPL to England to "further their careers".

Shaun Maloney - played regularly in the League and Champions League for Celtic, member of the first team, getting better all the time, moved to Villa - sits on the bench and goes nowhere

Liam Miller - As above, moved to United - shite. Only now starting to turn around at Sunderland. Sure, I'd much rather play for Sunderland than be guaranteed Champions League football with Celtic. Fuck sake like.

Petrov - As above.

Boumsong - Hailed as Rangers' finest asset, moved to Newcastle - sit on the bench there mate.

Barry Ferguson - moved to Blackburn, sat on the bench for a couple of years, moved back to Glasgow.

Very few players actually benefit from moving from the SPL to England. The only recent one I can think of offhand is Craig Gordon.
Far more players move to England from the SPL and then turn to shite because they don't get regular football, when they could have gone on to acheive so much more.

Or maybe they get found out and are shown to be not as good as they look in Scotland/don't like the fact that there are more than 2 good teams in the league.

how shite was miller the other day? :mad:

i they are actually good enough, wouldnt they make it in other leagues! not just the prem. playing against shite teams 80% of the time will hardly 'improve' them as players. Most of the players you have stated failed in other leagues for no other reason other than they were shite . For all mcgeady's skill and trickery, these might work a charm when playing falkirk and gretna every other week but its a different kettle of fish when playing against experienced international defenders. For mcgeady to progress i certainly feel that playing against good defenders wek in week out would help ! But yeah I suppose he could continue playing in the spl , put in a good 45 minutes for ireland/champions league every odd month and we can talk about his potential again.

i they are actually good enough, wouldnt they make it in other leagues! not just the prem. playing against shite teams 80% of the time will hardly 'improve' them as players. Most of the players you have stated failed in other leagues for no other reason other than they were shite . For all mcgeady's skill and trickery, these might work a charm when playing falkirk and gretna every other week but its a different kettle of fish when playing against experienced international defenders. For mcgeady to progress i certainly feel that playing against good defenders wek in week out would help ! But yeah I suppose he could continue playing in the spl , put in a good 45 minutes for ireland/champions league every odd month and we can talk about his potential again.

See, this is exactly what everyone used to say about Larsson. He wouldn't score more than ten in a good league outside Scotland, blah blah blah. Then he goes and wins Barca the Champions League, and all of a sudden he's a genius, when he wasn't genius in Scotland.

The Champions League is a perfect example of what I'm talking about: I remember Celtic vs. Anderlecht about four years ago, and Liam fucking Millar tore Anderlecht apart practically on his own. That's in the top club competition in Europe. Now is at Sunderland and he is shite. That's what England has done for him, that's what warming benches for too long has done to him.

These guys go to England, and it wrecks their careers, because they usually end up sitting on the bench and playing no first team football. If a player is going to improve his game, playing first-team football is vital, and that is why the likes of McGeady should stay in Scotland.
It's just the usual old bollocks. Everyone assumes Scottish football is shite just because two teams dominate. If it's so shite, then how come Celtic beat United 1-0 last year? Oh I suppose it was just luck. They've probably been getting lucky for the last 7 years or so sure, having beaten AC Milan, Barcelona, Liverpool, etc etc within that space of time. Yeah it must be all down to luck because they're shite right?

Celtic have a fortress, but can't win for toffee away from home. Sure they've beaten a lot of big teams in one-off group games, but when it comes to the crunch how many times have they made it out of the group stages? Once.

See, this is exactly what everyone used to say about Larsson. He wouldn't score more than ten in a good league outside Scotland, blah blah blah. Then he goes and wins Barca the Champions League, and all of a sudden he's a genius, when he wasn't genius in Scotland.

The Champions League is a perfect example of what I'm talking about: I remember Celtic vs. Anderlecht about four years ago, and Liam fucking Millar tore Anderlecht apart practically on his own. That's in the top club competition in Europe. Now is at Sunderland and he is shite. That's what England has done for him, that's what warming benches for too long has done to him.

These guys go to England, and it wrecks their careers, because they usually end up sitting on the bench and playing no first team football. If a player is going to improve his game, playing first-team football is vital, and that is why the likes of McGeady should stay in Scotland.
It's just the usual old bollocks. Everyone assumes Scottish football is shite just because two teams dominate. If it's so shite, then how come Celtic beat United 1-0 last year? Oh I suppose it was just luck. They've probably been getting lucky for the last 7 years or so sure, having beaten AC Milan, Barcelona, Liverpool, etc etc within that space of time. Yeah it must be all down to luck because they're shite right?

I do see what your saying dude, but still, for a player to only be tested a handful of times a year is not enough. the games mcgeady has played for ireland have hardly shown that he is a good player! yeah he look decent but has very little end product. You just need to look at the amount of foreign players who have moved to the premiership and been very successful playing with and against great player and working with world class managers. I hate to bring ronaldo into it but look at what ferguson has done for him! look what wenger did for henry (actually look what wenger has done for a bunch of young players) If a player is not good enough then fair enough stay in the spl but if they actually are good player then the best way for them to advance is in a higher profile league (not just the prem)

Petrov - As above.

haha, the rage!
Dude, you're only quoting the renowned players. The reason the other 99% don't get a chance to move is cos they're shite.
And as for Larsson - didn't he move on to better things by winning the Champions League with Barcelona?

I think the perception of Larsson was more that he pissed away the best years of his career in the SPL scoring 30 when he'd have been getting 20+ in a top league.

Anderlecht, wow, they must be at least as good as a mid-table premiership side these days.

He'd further his career by going to a decent Prem side where he'd get his game and learn how to play regularly against better defenders, even against the struggling sides. I'm sure Luke Young is a better full back than whoever the fuck is playing right back for Gretna.

Who's saying Celtic are shite? The league is shite.

can we get back on topic? we're talking about ireland here, not fucking celtic.
roy hodgson anyone? i think he'd be fucking brilliant. it's what he does...

Dunno about Hodgson. Bit of a journeyman at this stage.

I'd prefer houllier to hodgson, and i wouldn't be too keen on houllier either, but at least he's been at the sharp end of things with lyon recently enough. If they're going down the continental/technical/wizzend old hand route, houllier gets my vote, ahead of hodgson or el tel.

I wouldn't expect pool fans to agree though.

hodgson did wonders with the schweiz, and finland... i mean fucking finland... he's got the touch. otherwise i'd take houllier... he can't buy us any africans, so we should be alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back