Stupid things you did as a small child! (1 Viewer)

Also, I know I've told this before, but ye might have forgotten - I did a lot of practice for an attempt to break the world record for walking backwards. Never actually made the attempt though, got too distracted thinking about the UFOs Anthony Roche used to see landing beside Rowe St. church every night

I used to take mussels from the mussel-fishing boats on the quays in Wexford and "save" them by firing them back in the sea. I made a pet of one once, brought him home and stuck him in a blue plastic bowl with water in it, to which I added some salt. He got smelly after a few days

weird. I did the exact same with a clam I found. He got smelly too. I chucked him over a wall.

on.

I also had a penchant for eating chewing gun off the ground:eek: :eek:

You've just saved me years of counselling - I thought i was the only eejit child who did that!! How are we still alive...? I did it for years when I was a kid until my mother caught me doing it and gave out to me. I can still taste the gravel in my mouth...

My siblings were way worse than me (as previously mentioned on the other childhood thread) but I once peed outside my house when I was about four in front of my friends. Just because i was too lazy to wait for my mother to open the door! The shame. I was hit in the face once by my sister with one of my mother's stilletos... cue blood all over the gaff.

Once I was warned not to wash out my fish bowl - but of course, I did, and then went and dropped it (it was an old style glass one) on my wooden floor in my room..I cut my foot open and spent the next year picking glass from behind my bookshelf. Always listen to your parents.

hey, my poor dad put up with 5 years of my nagging! 5 years!... damn i was persistent kid... anyways, it one of the only advantages of growing up on a farm in the middle of nowhere. as far as my dad was concerned, it was just like another calf.

Five years of nagging or a posho?

As a Junior Infant, I spent most of my time hanging upside-down from/falling off horizontal bars, railings, swing-sets and trees. My dad and I spent a lot of quality time hanging out in Temple St.

Ah...memories of concussions past.

my worst habit was probably quoting yeats at people in what was no doubt a horrendously smug and irritating manner. but once i did take it into my head, when i was about three, to climb up a ladder onto the roof, climb all the way up to the.. pointy bit.. of the roof, and look over the top of it at my da who was on the other side. i must've practically given him a heart attack, poor fecker.

i don't remember but apparently i had two imaginary friends called "rimmick" and "rorick"

so my mum often reminds me when I'm drunk

my older brother had a whole load of imaginary friends called Guppies, he had two others, one called Gowboy, forget the other name... anyway, once my mam brought him to pick up my dad from work (at the garda barracks) and when they got home again my brother started whinging that he had left the guppies in the barracks and they had to go back up and collect them, hold the door open etc (make room in the car and all that nonsense) and bring the guppies home. also you had to ask him before sitting anywhere incase you'd accidentally sit on the guppies and if you didnt ask him then the guppies would definitly be there. i wasnt born - im the youngest so i never get to recount embarrasing things my siblings did because i dont remember them, but they always get to ridicule me. its not fair. :(

My older brother got a train set he really loved one Christmas, he ran home from school every day to play with it, but he wasn't playing with me anymore, and my other sibling was only a wee baby.

One day I threw it in the fire . rails and all so he'd have to play with me again. He didn't.

I think it still has a bearing on our relationship... I say I'm sorry every year in his birthday card, it's kinda a joke at this stage.
That's probably the meanest thing I ever did and I can't even remember it!

Poor lil heartbroken train-lovin chisler....STEVEN I'm sorry!:rolleyes:

my grandparents used to have a big steel barrel in the back 40 where they used to burn refuse...i took great pleasure in tossing aersol cans in there and then standing around waiting for them to skyrocket. got many a scolding from those hijinx.

also, every once in a while all the old dead brush on our farm would be heaped into a big heaping heap and then burned away. you would, on those occasions, find me standing in the middle of the smoke with a little wooden sword and a garbage can lid shield doing battle, breathing deep. and getting very dizzy/stoned/retarded indeed.

i put an iron on my right hand when i was 2. skingrafts etc. - my palm is still all scarred. i had a deadly time in cork hospital though and got loads of toys when i came out.

my older brother had a whole load of imaginary friends called Guppies, he had two others, one called Gowboy, forget the other name... anyway, once my mam brought him to pick up my dad from work (at the garda barracks) and when they got home again my brother started whinging that he had left the guppies in the barracks and they had to go back up and collect them, hold the door open etc (make room in the car and all that nonsense) and bring the guppies home.

Oh man. That cracked me up.

My brother one year was trying to figure out what he wanted off Santa one year. He finally decided on a shirt, and a mousetrap. (He was about 6 at the time.)

Anyway Santa, in his wisdom, decided to leave a large wind up black furry spider, which sprints about in random directions, in his stocking.

Wound up.

So, in he comes, all set for his new mouse trap and his shirt, reaches into the stocking, pulls out said spider, drops it, which then sets about sprinting about on the floor in random directions.

I remember actually being weak from laughing so much.
Suffice to say that this took some getting over on his part.

I also used to hide in very unlikely, uncomfortable and dark places for ages (like the outhouse toilet in the back garden), waiting for my brother to walk past, so I could jump out at him roaring, and scare the unholy shit out of him.

A good scare would result in a "double shocker", which involved an initial small recoil shortly followed by a secondary, more severe convulsion backwards.

This would be the pinacle of scaring. Again, the hysterics of laughter this induced often left me weak, and vulnerable to attack.

Decided it would be a good idea to try and tiptoe across an icy wall when I was about 5. On Christmas eve.
Next stop: Christmas in hospital with a concussion. Sound.

I made a hospital for bees. I saw a bee crawling up the path and thought he must be sick, so I built a hospital out of dock leaves and gave him heads of flowers and filled one leaf with water so he could have a drink. He drowned in the water and my mum told me up for messing up her flower beds.

I too was a hiding child, wanted to be a ninja as a kid so spent much of my childhood crawling around to find impossible hiding places or contorted behind some unmoveable furniture. The sister was too young to jump out and scare though.

This ninja thing came in useful around christmas with the whole sneaking a look at presents and re-sealing them. The next level was breaking into boxes of chocolates and replacing the plastic cover. Tried to ignore the obvious problem that there'd be chocs missing when the parents would eventually open it. One of the the first times this happened they complained to cadbury and got a huuuuuuuge! box of chocolates in the post as apology :)

Classic child injury tale. About 5-6, was sitting under the ironing board while the mother did the ironing above me. Decided to see what that big metal lever under the board did. Cue gravity. Ironing board collapses on me, mother shrieks, hot iron falls off board onto my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back