Stuff you listened to when you were a kid... (1 Viewer)

I used to listen to some theme tunes LP I had over and over, it had the Dr. Who theme on it and I used to hide behind the couch. When I got a bit older it was Abba and Adam and the Ants.

egg_ jr.'s current favourite songs are:

Boxes - Walk Man
Toots and the Maytals - Monkey Man, Peeping Tom
Jungle Book soundtrack - all of it
Jonathan Richman - Hey there little insect, Ice cream man
Beatles - Drive my car
B-52s - Rock Lobster
Oliver soundtrack - Oom pah pah
Tom Paxton - Going to the zoo
any Stoat song, obviously - "that's Dad playin his bass"

She's digging Mumblin Deaf Ro's new album too

when I was a kid we had a muppets album, or LP, of The Muppets covering songs with the words changed, e.g. Mad About The Boy - Mad About The Frog, some really hip stuff on it too, Coconut song by Nillsson... aces... I played this to pieces and I think it influenced my love of 60's pop a lot

Next record I remember getting into was Tublar Bells, cause the cover was awesome... which influenced my love of getting totally high I imagine... then The Monkees, then James Taylor, Simon Garfunkel, Don Mclean, folk rock, folk rock, folk rock...

My kiddo went thru a bit of telling people she liked The Velvet Underground, cause we used to dance to Begining To See The Light a lot... I'm not sure what else she's into, I must play more records when she's over

Tom Petty
Guns'n'Roses
The Clash - Combat rock
Travelling Wilburys
Miceal Jackson- bad/dangerous
AC/DC - the razors edge
Black Sabbath

east 17 -in a big way, also got bat out of hell by meatloaf, and the Aristocats soundtrack and i went out and bought babylon zoo album after spaceman came out, he HAS got more genes than most people.
Then the playstation came out and we started playing tombraider and resident evil in the firends older brothers room and EVERYTHING changed and we discovered nirvana and kurt was gorgeous. I even remember her bro coming into her bedroom to us saying 'you'll get sick of that after a while'

Michael Jackson
Queen
Red Hot Chili Peppers

I also listened to Johnny Cash's "a boy named sue" on repeat for a few years. Recorded it off the radio. How it made me laugh.

I'm obviously very old... as the fella says "now I'm the grandad..."

werther_s_original.jpg

My cousin used to have an album by Marlo Thomas and Friends - Free To Be You And Me which we used play whenever we went down to visit them in Midleton.

Finally got my own copy - bought a used LP a few weeks.

Very educational.

wikipedia said:
Free to Be… You and Me is a record album and illustrated songbook for children, first released in November 1972, and later in 1974 as a television special, featuring songs and stories from celebrities (credited as "Marlo Thomas and Friends"). Using poetry, songs, and sketches, the basic concept was to salute values such as individuality, tolerance, and happiness with one's identity; a major thematic message is that anyone, whether a boy or a girl, can achieve anything one wants. The album has become a cult classic across the United States amongst many who were children in the 1970s, while others of the same age group hope to never hear the music again.
The original idea to create the album came from Thomas; she wanted to teach her then-young niece Dionne about life. The album was produced by Carole Hart, with music produced by Stephen J. Lawrence and Bruce Hart, with stories and poems directed by Alan Alda. Proceeds went to the Ms. Foundation for Women. The album has been published by Arista Records since 1983 (it was first published by Bell Records), and is still in print today. As of 2006 it has sold more than 500,000 copies. (A well-received sequel, Free to Be . . . A Family, was produced in 1987.)
The television special first aired March 11, 1974, on ABC, earning an 18.6 rating/27 share and went on to win an Emmy.
Well-known songs include "It's All Right to Cry," sung by football hero Rosey Grier; the title track by the New Seekers; "Help" by Tom Smothers; "Sisters and Brothers" by The Voices of East Harlem; and "When We Grow Up" performed by Diana Ross on the album, and performed by Roberta Flack and Michael Jackson on the special.
Other sketches, some of them animated in the television special, include "Atalanta," narrated by Alan Alda, a retelling of the ancient Greek legend of Atalanta; "Boy Meets Girl" with Marlo Thomas and Mel Brooks providing the voices for puppets resembling human babies, who use cultural gender stereotypes to try to discover which is a boy and which a girl; and "Dudley Pippin" with Billy De Wolfe. The special appeared occasionally on HBO in the 1980s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_to_be_you_and_me

The Eagles
Christy Moore
Mary Black
Lots of other Irish trad
The Pogues

And alot of American country from my mom (She's obsessed with Dolly Parton)

My first album was a Bosco LP my parents bought for me when I was 2 or 3.

The only song I can remember is This Is Where I Live (I Think It's Very Nice).

It was a big family favourite at the time.

My first album was a Bosco LP my parents bought for me when I was 2 or 3.

The only song I can remember is This Is Where I Live (I Think It's Very Nice).

It was a big family favourite at the time.

Deadly do you still have it so?

I wish my parents played me 'kids' music instead I now have a tendancy to listen to country music out of subjection to it for so long. If I'm not paying attention it takes me a while to realise I dont actually like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back