State Magazine (1 Viewer)

.|..|
Hey, does anybody here actually know any of the "general public"?

Ive fuck all to do with the real world, I just wrote this in a grant application;

''The ultimate deliverable of this proposal will be the improved research possibilities afforded by the inclusion of this technology as part of our facilities.''

.|..|

Ive fuck all to do with the real world, I just wrote this in a grant application;

''The ultimate deliverable of this proposal will be the improved research possibilities afforded by the inclusion of this technology as part of our facilities.''

Does that translate as "We need this because it's useful"?

Does that translate as "We need this because it's useful"?

pretty much. the entire grant proposal could be summed up in 4 short sentences of normal speak;

this yoke, its great right. it'll save us money in the long run. it will allow us to loads do more stuff. then we'll be able to publish papers and write more grants-deadly!!

FUCKING ACADEMICS!!!!!!!
(im aware of the fact that I, technically am an academic)

Cop shows,christmas do's, knitting clubs, communal cooking nights, podcasts, interforum riding. Thumped has it all. Except for a mag. Imagine the standard of writing. Would'nt last y'knoe.

what would you like to see in a mag?
Interviews where we really get under the interviewees skin
Reviews I can trust
Good writing
A bit of inventiveness, a bit of boldness. Having the same cover as Hot Press for your debut issue is a bit lame.

Is that too much to ask? As I said I wasn't too happy to see Stipe on the cover, but I still hoped that maybe in the article I'd get some real sense of REM as people and as songwriters and musicians. Nope.

As for the standard of writing - disappointed there too. I mean, it's no worse than any other music mag, but I was hoping for something a bit better

I'm still looking for writers, if any of you reckon you can do better. the response the last 27 million times i've asked would lead me to believe otherwise...

Interviews where we really get under the interviewees skin

it just doesnt happen anymore/ever. i think magazines have this kinda pact with alot of musicians they interview, where they go easy on them in the interview and album review in return for the interview itself.

did you ever see a magazine with a spread on any musician in an issue and turn to the album review section to see it slated?

the only time you ever see this happening is when the magazine leaves it a few months to review the album by said band hoping no one notices the sudden change in elegiance.
i remember terrorizer a year back doing an interview with slayer and they churned out the usual back slapping interview. it took months for them to actually review the album.in the end it wasnt a good review but got 7/10, which is a bad review in terroizer for a 'big' band. how do you review a slayer album anyway "am it sounds like the last one and the one before...."

I suspect that was down to HP and State made it known well in advance that htey had a lengthy REM piece for the front cover.

as far as I know neither knew about the other

it's feburary, a very slow music month, and one of the biggest bands in the world are releasing what is considered their long (long) awaited return to form record... it's amusing it happened, but hardly surprising

SweetOblivion, just give all your interviews to Pete. Simple.
then get gary to write a regular "my purchases" column.

There's two regulars for a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back