State Magazine (3 Viewers)

i like it. it smells like new schoolbook.

which reminds me - I saw a documentary on the History Channel today about irish nazis - apparently Mr Folens (of irish educational publishing / copybook fame) was ex-SS. there you go.

It DOES smell like a new schoolbook. And lest you all forget, the great thing about a monthly is that every month is a new opportunity to make it better, and I would imagine that is exactly what the state folks are planning.

It DOES smell like a new schoolbook. And lest you all forget, the great thing about a monthly is that every month is a new opportunity to make it better, and I would imagine that is exactly what the state folks are planning.
exactly Kirstie - people expect things to be perfect, but nothing's perfect, if only because everyone has different tastes. I thought they did a great job of a first issue and I look forward to the next one. There are always things to be ironed out and improved with every publication.

Why is this? If a magazine contains maybe ten 4 star album reviews and they pick one song from each for a cd, surely it should be at least mildly interesting?

Is it difficult to get permission to use the decent tracks?

Actually, I was basing this on stuff years ago and recent Foggy Notions CDs (sorry FN ppl), since I haven't bought a music press other than FN in about 3 years, so can hardly claim to be the expert. And not seen State yet. They don't have it in DCU Spar for some reason.

In summary: Nothing to see here. Move along.

actually there is a point

short bullety pieces are in easy 'in' to a mag without sitting down with a mug o' tea and reading it cover to cover...

e.g. - you bash through the news pages and the bullety point bits on the bus for 10 mins on the way home from work, and hopefully your into it and sit down that night to read the 15 pager interview with who ever is on the cover

that's a pretty basic explanation, and no way The Law or anything, but I think, say, FN suffered from not having a bit frivilous 'stuff' now and again for sort of the above read

If I'm going to pay more €5.50 for a magazine, I'm not looking for something to trick me into reading it by being short and, to my mind, half-done. I think if something is well written I don't think its length is prohibitive at all - when you see a article about something your interested on the cover, you hope its a decent length piece about the subject.

In fact, short isn't necessarily the problem, its the fact that 50 words smacks of lack of caring about the material, and more giving a shit more about spreading yourself, covering the angles and being afraid of what the magazine isn't rather it isn't.

I'm only giving my opinion and seeing as I buy no music magazines regularly, I wouldn't consider myself an ideal target audience.

I agree, I know its only their first issue so they have to put it out there with something recognisable and some kind of basic idea of what to go with. But, it needs to improve I think.

i like it. it smells like new schoolbook.

which reminds me - I saw a documentary on the History Channel today about irish nazis - apparently Mr Folens (of irish educational publishing / copybook fame) was ex-SS. there you go.

ahhhra get Auschawitz will ya!

i'll get my coat.

Poor auld Albert Folens. Ohhhh Tannenbaum....

albert was my great uncle. his role in the war was incorrectly portrayed. before he died he wrote a fascinating account of his life and imprisonment (but this is for the family to read only). he never acted as a nazi interpreter, he translated news stories. he was deployed but saw no action for the flemish legion. i'm saying no more - my great aunt's statements on the matter sum up how the family feel about his being lumped in with a load of murderers. you can read a statement here: http://www.photopol.com/colaiste/mrs_folens_statement.html

so back to the e5.50 magazine, ok?

If I'm going to pay more €5.50 for a magazine, I'm not looking for something to trick me into reading it by being short and, to my mind, half-done.

well maybe you should take it up with the publishers. hey? I'm just giving you my opinion, maybe a bit of insight based on 5 years of working in publishing...

in oppose too....

I'm only giving my opinion and seeing as I buy no music magazines regularly
:rolleyes:

see, I suspect this may be the problem a lot of you have with state - I could be wildly generalising, but most guys don't read a lot of magazines, so they're possibly not very familiar with the format.
Well, the reason I don't really read magazines is I don't like them. I was hoping State would be something that I will like, so it'll need to be different to other magazines rather than being something that fits "the format". Y'know? I haven't written it off yet, will probably buy the next couple and see how it's going. I'd love to see it being a success one way or the other, but if I don't enjoy reading it I'm unlikely to buy it myself

And thinking up comedy subheads keeps me happy, so don't take it away from me.
Magazines are supposed to be about the enjoyment of the readers, not of the production team. Aren't they?

so, from reading this thread, this is my understanding of people's thoughts;

- its more mainstream than FN, but thats mostly ok because if it was any other way it would be severely limiting itself in terms of its target market (thumped people would be a poor choice of a target audience).

- its too expensive without a free CD. Though people have mixed feelings about free CDs most agree that the price is excessive. I guess having a CD could maybe justify the price a little more, and those who aren't fans can simply ignore it.

- presentation is excellent. I think everyone is in agreement with this.

- Quality of writing - no one really went into their thoughts on this other than to say it could do with a proof reader.

- puns are bad, puns are good.

- the mix of the shorter articles and meatier articles is well thought out and the balance is pretty good.

- the reviews are a little too numerous and not really all that good.

Have I missed anything? I reckon the state people could be pleased enough with their maiden effort so, given the above. No one has come on here slating it outright. And given this is thumped, thats quite an achievement!

I was hoping State would be something that I will like, so it'll need to be different to other magazines rather than being something that fits "the format".

what would you like to see in a mag?

[edit]
sorry genuine questions, everyone seems quick to say what they don't like, but in a real world practical sense with some eye on market appeal, what is missing that stops people commenting here buying mags

Magazines are supposed to be about the enjoyment of the readers, not of the production team. Aren't they?
I never enjoy myself at work... ever...

well maybe you should take it up with the publishers. hey? I'm just giving you my opinion, maybe a bit of insight based on 5 years of working in publishing...

in oppose too....

:rolleyes:

I should clarify - I have hundreds of Mojos, Qs and NMEs as well as a smattering of Foggy Notions, Uncuts, etc behind me. I used to buy music magazines very regularly, I just don't anymore, because they all are repetitive and there's very few good articles after a few of them. The only time I buy them is usually for planes.

However I do consider myself a target market seeing as this is an Irish music magazine that isn't Hot Press and arrives at the same time as Foggy Notions' demise. I bought cos I want to see what its like. I don't think its that good. And I think €5 would have been a much better price from my point of view.

As you said from your experience of working in publishing, short snappy articles have an inherent logic to them - but to me its just lowering the bar. You can keep on doing that until way more people buy your magazine. But whats the fucking point in that?

The writing on State seems grand and safe. Most of the features were handled by the ex-Hot Press heads, so it's not exactly mindblowing, but it's decent Couple of nifty scribes in the reviews section, and I reckon that's were they school the new talent.

As an aside, anyone else find Nialler Nein's blog ephemeral, boring claptrap, and his writing bland and devoid of emotion. No? Fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back