State Magazine (2 Viewers)

loads of great tracks on those uncut cds. its a pity they just do the whole "REM pick there favourite tracks" cds now.
give me new music from new cds please!
Yeah I know, I mean I have one of the ones from a few years ago where REM members each picked their favourite songs - I think it was uncut who did it - why do it again?
They did have some good stuff on it, but like you I like to hear NEW music when I get free cds.

the recent mojo freebies have been pretty good, nice themes, the current soul one is great.

always hated the uncut ones as they mostly seemed compiled to reflect whatever muck the UK PR companies were trying to push. i do hate nearly all music though

Uncut has gone rapidly downhill - as have their CDs.

in the beginning though - some great film comps like Reel Music.
quote]

The Reel Music cds were ace. The one with Cavalleria Rusticana Intermezzo, from Raging Bull was fantastic.

They also used to feature really cool snippits of dialogue from old movies, hidden after the last song on the cd. They were the good ol days of free cds

They also used to feature really cool snippits of dialogue from old movies, hidden after the last song on the cd. They were the good ol days of free cds

probably cost too much to compile all that shit though. Time, money, effort... where art thou? downloaded for free no doubt.

I was a bit disappointed with this. I too really like nialler9's blog and was kinda hoping for a magazine-length version of it. Might settle down a bit after a few issues - fingers crossed

If any state people are reading this (Niall, for instance) - why oh why are you doing the stupid Hot Press trick of making every article title into a pun? Please stop

There's a list of similar irritating shit you could write out if you went through it with a highlighter and some post it notes - most notably in my mind, the "Fifty Words on..."

Write about something or don't. There's no fucking point in writing fifty words on something unless its for a mildly amusing but almost certainly scripted BBC Radio 4 intellectualy comedy quiz show or something. Same with reviews, too short. The whole thing just smacks of people who want to be involved in working in a music magazine rather than people who have any really good ideas.

Uncut have done some great free cds - in around 2006 with every issue they had one with the best of the months' releases, and without it I wouldn't have heard Judee Sill, Midlake or many other great bands when I did.

I have plenty of shite free cds at home, but the best ones were almost all from Uncut.

I have a huge bloody collection of Magnet free CD - never ever listened to.

Coasters and paperweights all

I find it hard to pick anything I like out even when I listen to them, the songs are cenerally some filler of an album track and the way those CD jump from genre to genre just makes me dizzy.

Write about something or don't. There's no fucking point in writing fifty words on something unless its for a mildly amusing but almost certainly scripted BBC Radio 4 intellectualy comedy quiz show or something. Same with reviews, too short.

actually there is a point

short bullety pieces are in easy 'in' to a mag without sitting down with a mug o' tea and reading it cover to cover...

e.g. - you bash through the news pages and the bullety point bits on the bus for 10 mins on the way home from work, and hopefully your into it and sit down that night to read the 15 pager interview with who ever is on the cover

that's a pretty basic explanation, and no way The Law or anything, but I think, say, FN suffered from not having a bit frivilous 'stuff' now and again for sort of the above read

actually there is a point

short bullety pieces are in easy 'in' to a mag without sitting down with a mug o' tea and reading it cover to cover...

e.g. - you bash through the news pages and the bullety point bits on the bus for 10 mins on the way home from work, and hopefully your into it and sit down that night to read the 15 pager interview with who ever is on the cover

that's a pretty basic explanation, and no way The Law or anything, but I think, say, FN suffered from not having a bit frivilous 'stuff' now and again for sort of the above read

Agree strongly, you need a mix. Mags aren't books, the good ones serve dual functions - entertainment/news fixes as well as some chunky reading.

Anyway, my tuppenth worth is that it's great to see a new Irish mag that's committed to quality and is making a really good effort with how it looks. I may not love everything in it, but I never love everything in any of the billion magazines I buy a month, so bravo.

Really? I don't really read magazines

Attn: State sub-eds

Don't make titles into puns. "Everyone else is doing it" is no excuse

see, I suspect this may be the problem a lot of you have with state - I could be wildly generalising, but most guys don't read a lot of magazines, so they're possibly not very familiar with the format.

And thinking up comedy subheads keeps me happy, so don't take it away from me.

i like it. it smells like new schoolbook.

which reminds me - I saw a documentary on the History Channel today about irish nazis - apparently Mr Folens (of irish educational publishing / copybook fame) was ex-SS. there you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back