State Magazine (3 Viewers)

Articles like this or the Wrens' Esopus interview (only have a print version of that).

Interesting free CDs - this was one of Foggy Notions real strengths, with something unique (e.g. a mix or something else) that isn't available for free on the band's website.

Mainly, features on artists I like. If that had been Mumblin Deaf Ro's head on the front of State rather than Michael Stipe and it had been a long interview with a guy as funny and witty as him rather than an really reall really well established rock group on a media tour, that would've made me buy copies for friends probably.

Edit: My man boner for MDR's music is really showing.

Articles like this or the Wrens' Esopus interview (only have a print version of that).

Interesting free CDs - this was one of Foggy Notions real strengths, with something unique (e.g. a mix or something else) that isn't available for free on the band's website.

Mainly, features on artists I like. If that had been Mumblin Deaf Ro's head on the front of State rather than Michael Stipe and it had been a long interview with a guy as funny and witty as him rather than an really reall really well established rock group on a media tour, that would've made me buy copies for friends probably.

That's all well and good, but it think they're looking to sell some copies of the magazine.

As an aside, anyone else find Nialler Nein's blog ephemeral, boring claptrap, and his writing bland and devoid of emotion. No? Fine.

I wouldn't be that harsh but i'd agree with the blandness and complete lack of humour. I also have a problem with the super extra bonus party cheerleading. But in fairness, i've got some decent heads-up and good mixes from the site. He posts here so if he takes this criticism on board expect a few knock-knock jokes in the coming weeks.

abc_king_kong_vogue_080318_mn.jpg

That's all well and good, but it think they're looking to sell some copies of the magazine.

Yeh but so what? Now there's a monthly version of Hot Press or an Irish version of Q?

I think I got the wrong impression of this magazine from the start and expected something different.

Ahh. You're looking for more fawning gobbledygookery about artists you love.

If thats what you want to call it, then yes, thats exactly what I want.

I'd also like some interviews Irish acts along the lines of Tape Op or that musical rooms blog - except in slightly more depth about the mechanics of how they record and write music. I think that would be a goood idea.

btw, fair play if you read that entire Joanna Newsom article. Its epic. The tone of it is a bit flowery if I remember correctly (read it last some months ago) but I really thought it was interesting.

y'okay, it took a bit of doing... believe me... but I've fixed it so the editors of State will ring you up every month and read you out a list of features so you can clear which ones you want to see in the mag and which ones would upset you? y'okay? y'okay...

Why are you being such a complete dick (which I must say is out of character) cos I said I didn't like the magazine? You asked me what would make me buy a magazine and I told you.

I bought the State, I didn't think it was good, I voiced my opinion about it, I don't see what your problem is with that.

If thats what you want to call it, then yes, thats exactly what I want.

I'd also like some interviews Irish acts along the lines of Tape Op or that musical rooms blog - except in slightly more depth about the mechanics of how they record and write music. I think that would be a goood idea.

btw, fair play if you read that entire Joanna Newsom article. Its epic. The tone of it is a bit flowery if I remember correctly (read it last some months ago) but I really thought it was interesting.

As well intended as your suggestions are dude, I think you're looking for The State to cater to a market that barely exists in this country.

I bought the State, I didn't think it was good, I voiced my opinion about it, I don't see what your problem is with that.

my only beef is I think people crictiscing State, or Hotpress for that matter, can only come back 'It doesn't have things I like in it', which strictly speaking is a personal preference and not an opinion and doesn't really move the debate forward any...

my only beef is I think people crictiscing State, or Hotpress for that matter, can only come back 'It doesn't have things I like in it', which strictly speaking is a personal preference and not an opinion and doesn't really move the debate forward any...

I also criticised other parts of it too though. I don't just dislike it cos it doesn't have Dirty Projectors, Animal Collective, Elliott Smith, Grizzly Bear, etc in it.

I think the reviews are too short and I think the short pieces at the start, if we agree they serve a purpose, weren't that interesting.

I think featuring R.E.M. is pointless and boring as they are overexposed as it is - I've read tons of interviews with them before and none have been particularly interesting, and it seems like they are getting more attention because they recorded in Ireland and because of their history -
they've been regarded in "gigantic band" status ever since Automatic For The People and people are still absorbed by their past rather than their present. And I like R.E.M.!

As well intended as your suggestions are dude, I think you're looking for The State to cater to a market that barely exists in this country.

There isn't a market for anything is this country except for estate agents, bookmakers and Italian restaurants it seems sometimes. "Sigh."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back