State Magazine (4 Viewers)

Just buy this rag:

COVER01Small.jpg

Has anyone ever actually read this? Awful thing altogether.

Look! The J is a headphone lead!

Sunday Business Post said:
Music magazine to aim at Electric Picnic generation

A new full-colour, glossy music magazine will hit Irish shelves on March 6.

State magazine, the brainchild of international music photographer Roger Woolman, will be a monthly publication aimed at the 25-40 age bracket.

The team behind the magazine includes Woolman, who used to be a chartered accountant and the singer in a Sex Pistols tribute band.

He owns the company, State Magazine, and is the magazine’s publisher and one of its four directors. The other three are music journalists Phil Udell and John Walshe - the magazine’s editors - and designer Simon Roche.

Niall Byrne, an independent blogger known as nialler9, edits the magazine’s digital sibling, State.ie.

‘‘State will be predominantly about music targeted at an Irish audience,” said Udell. ‘‘We are hoping to fill the gap between Hot Press and Foggy Notions magazines.

‘‘As well as music, Hot Press covers politics and sport, and Foggy Notions is a niche magazine that features music and topics that are more ‘underground’.

‘‘One of the problems with Irish music publications is that they have to fight directly with the British media for time with bands. Even though bands go all over the world, it won’t be a problem for us to interview them,’’ Udell said.

Writers for the magazine are based in New York, Los Angeles, Montreal, Tokyo, Australia and Berlin.

As well as covering albums that are released in Ireland, State will reflect the digital age. ‘‘An album doesn’t have to be out in Ireland for us to write about it,” he said. ‘‘A band from Moscow, for example, is just a click away.

‘‘We should also appeal to those who have grown up with CDs and vinyl. They’re the Electric Picnic generation who are a bit older, still into their music, but beyond the NME stage.”

A marketing campaign covering outdoor advertising, radio and print is due to start later this month.

Easons will distribute the magazine nationally. It will cost €6 and be published on the first Thursday of every month.
http://www.thepost.ie/post/pages/p/story.aspx-qqqt=IRELAND-qqqm=news-qqqid=29950-qqqx=1.asp

Got a copy of this yesterday for reading on the bus home. I'm pretty impressed. Nice layout and decent interviews. Seems to be a good mix of mainstream and not so mainstream.

I'll be in the horn thread waiting for the backlash...

I'm training my guns for until after the second issue, which hopefully won't arrive after a random interval of between 3 and 6 months a la Foggy Notions - but my initial impressions of this were... just, its awful. Which is a pity cos I really like Nialler's blog - but this magazine is just more of the same old standard music magazine crap.

Like I said though, I'll hold my tongue!

nah, free CDs are a waste of time.

i don't think so. every Foggy cd had at least a couple of deadly songs on it by bands i'd never heard of or would never have checked out like Skream.

thought issue one of State wasnt any different to any other music magazine out there which means i'll probably be flicking through it in easons rather than buying it in future. good to see some quality original photography anyway and an interview with The Jimmy Cake. it also could've done without page 15 - a writeup on how average the Stereophonics are....yawn. 'local boy...' is one of their best songs too.

yeah too expensive without a decent free CD, i was honestly looking for one thinking it must have fell off the front or the shop lost it

If it's free cds your looking for how about buying 'The Devil On 45 Zine' direct off me for 3.50 or from Freebird and Spindizzy for a lil extra. Two free cds with Issue 3 of John Lomax's 1939 Southern States recording tour, featuring prison blues, reels and spirtuals.

Also In this Issue.

’Goin Down The River’ - Prison blues, spirituals and reels from the 1939 Southern Sates Recording Trip of John, Alan and Ruby Lomax - article by Ed Hannon accompanied by two compact discs for your listening pleasure!
Visual Vitriol -The Not-So-Secret History of Punk Posters by David Ensminger
An interview with the author of ‘Please Don’t Feed The Bears’ the heavy metal vegan cookbook written Brad aka Asbjorn Intonsus and interviewed by Jamie Grimes
‘For Those About to Pop, We Salute You!- A Subjective Overview of the Abba Catalogue’ by Boz Mugabe
An Interview with Nik Cohn author of ‘Triksta - Life and Death and New Orleans Rap’ by Ed Hannon.
Circus Music’ - The Music Industry on Film by Gianni Simone
The excellent artwork of Casey Redmond including a one page introduction to the one man band McRorie!

thedevilon45issue3-1.jpg

Sorry for hijacking this thread !ninjaaaa gotta keep plugging:cool:

myspace.com/thedevilon45
[email protected]

I really liked the first issue - it is expensive but all music mags are these days. And ok, so it's not earth shatteringly different to what's out there but what is? It has a great range of content, some very good interviews, some quirky pieces, great writers/reviewers, it's not too try-hard, and it's professional and not half-arsed.
Sometimes I find that I'll buy Mojo or Uncut and read about 1/3 of it and then forget about it - but I actually read this cover to cover and was very happy with it.

Now, if they ever want a certain Kildare-based, Cork born female journo writing for them, I'd suggest maybe clicking in the link in my sig....*cough*

Shameless? Moi? ;)

I really liked the first issue - it is expensive but all music mags are these days. And ok, so it's not earth shatteringly different to what's out there but what is? It has a great range of content, some very good interviews, some quirky pieces, great writers/reviewers, it's not too try-hard, and it's professional and not half-arsed.
Sometimes I find that I'll buy Mojo or Uncut and read about 1/3 of it and then forget about it - but I actually read this cover to cover and was very happy with it.

Now, if they ever want a certain Kildare-based, Cork born female journo writing for them, I'd suggest maybe clicking in the link in my sig....*cough*

Shameless? Moi? ;)

why aoife.... would you be per chance plying a want??
:p
leigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back