State Magazine (1 Viewer)

When i saw this snippet on the web before it's release. I thaught they were puttin MDR on the cover.
Something like that would have made it an irish music magazine. REM are great but putting they on the cover would have been ballsy in 1989 but not anymore

state-preview-cvr.jpg

i picked it up last night and so far have only read the REM interview, which i am impressed with it and browsed the rest of it. layout is good and the bands interviewed interested me.

When i saw this snippet on the web before it's release. I thaught they were puttin MDR on the cover.
Something like that would have made it an irish music magazine. REM are great but putting they on the cover would have been ballsy in 1989 but not anymore

state-preview-cvr.jpg

Come on, no offence to MDR (who we all love), but if I was running a mag and for my first issue I could put REM on the cover I would do it.

And you would too.

Also, Ro has much better skin than Stipe. He's as smooth as an otter!

Come on, no offence to MDR (who we all love), but if I was running a mag and for my first issue I could put REM on the cover I would do it.

And you would too.

Also, Ro has much better skin than Stipe. He's as smooth as an otter!
Ya i probably would. i suppose the problem is that it's exactly the same as the cover of hotpress (this point has already been made) althought the state photo is much much better.
REM are a great band but are they still relavant enough top be on the cover?

Maybe not MDR but Fight like apes perhaps? they're good, and a pretty girl always sells magazines

Ya i probably would. i suppose the problem is that it's exactly the same as the cover of hotpress (this point has already been made) althought the state photo is much much better.

Maybe not MDR but Fight like apes perhaps? they're good, and a pretty girl always sells magazines

The vast majority of people have never heard of Fight Like Apes. Putting REM on the cover at least gives it a fighting chance against Hot Press and Q (who also had REM on the cover except Stipe has never looked as miserable as he does on the Q cover).

The current REM album is definitely worth talking about - its a cracker - but i take your point about another magazine with stipe on the cover tends to fade into the background on a magazine rack.

Agreed.
It's just annoying when every two months or so, mags (like Q) stick Cobain or hendrix on the cover to bump sales for the month. I know that they have to sell ad space, i realise the need to sell ad space is an issue.
Damn my begrudgery, where's my copy of obscure bands monthly...

Just in answer to the REM cover. We decided and got the interview in January so we can't be responsible for what other music magazines feature after that. We felt REM was a good cover (still do) for the first issue as let's face it, they are big in Ireland and always have been. I think the interview is extremely interesting despite not being a huge fan myself.

We'd love to put Ro on the cover but how many copies would we have sold? Also, we want people to know it's not just exclusively Irish music. We will have an Irish cover in the near future no doubt, but right now it's a case of piquing interest in the mag. There are plenty of other features in the mag even if you don't like REM - Irish electronica piece, Ham Sandwich, Goldfrapp, Stiff Little Fingers archive piece, The Jimmy Cake. We're extremely happy with the first issue and what we have to build on from here.

We all know how hard Thumpsters are to please!

At the end of the day, it's a BUSINESS and you have to make business decisions - putting REM on your first cover is a way better idea than putting an 'obscure' act on it, no matter how good they are. You need to sell the magazine and make it attractive to people who've never heard of it, and who may buy other music mags. If you make it look too much like a 'niche' mag straight away then you might alienate people.

(rant alert)

Irish electronica piece

this sounds like a very hot-press-y type thing to do. as an article concept, it's lazy and uninsightful. it insults the intelligence of any reader who actually cares about 'electronica' (a genre which doesn't actually exist, but i presume you're using the standard definition of 'music made without guitars, but also without black people').

that said, i haven't even read the piece, or the magazine (is it available overseas?), but it looks like it has a lot of potential, so please don't fall into the trap of pigeonholing stuff for convenience!

actually, is that article available on the state website? i'd be curious, having just given out about it, to see what it actually says. yes i'm an idiot.

actually, is that article available on the state website? i'd be curious, having just given out about it, to see what it actually says. yes i'm an idiot.

No, it's not on the web, it's available by digital subscription alright from the website. By Irish electronica, I'm merely talking about the promoters and artists who by and large, play and promote music of electronic origin be that dubstep, breakcore, techno, ambient or electronic, taking in promoters such as Kaboogie, Alphabet Set and Leechrum and festivals like Mantua and DEAF. I'd never seen those genres, festivals or promoters covered before so I went ahead and did it.

No, it's not on the web, it's available by digital subscription alright from the website. By Irish electronica, I'm merely talking about the promoters and artists who by and large, play and promote music of electronic origin be that dubstep, breakcore, techno, ambient or electronic, taking in promoters such as Kaboogie, Alphabet Set and Leechrum and festivals like Mantua and DEAF. I'd never seen those genres, festivals or promoters covered before so I went ahead and did it.
fair dues, and it's cool to see them being covered

the problem is in the lumping-together - you'd never see an article about 'the rock music scene'

that said, i'm criticising an article i haven't even read, so i'll shut up now

i just thought i'd state my case

ho ho ho

(
this sounds like a very hot-press-y type thing to do. as an article concept, it's lazy and uninsightful. it insults the intelligence of any reader who actually cares about 'electronica' (a genre which doesn't actually exist, but i presume you're using the standard definition of 'music made without guitars, but also without black people').

Jaysis get off your high horse. It was a routine primer piece, probably aimed at folks who didn't have a clue the scene even existed.

Jaysis get off your high horse. It was a routine primer piece, probably aimed at folks who didn't have a clue the scene even existed.

i know, i re-read my post and thought it sounded pretty harsh, but my edit time was up, and now it's there, frozen in the amber of time, mocking me with its callous superciliousness. shamer, wha

Just in answer to the REM cover. We decided and got the interview in January so we can't be responsible for what other music magazines feature after that.

Of course you're not, and it's foolish in the extreme to imagine rival mags and publishers let each other know what they're up to. As if! As your star ascends, you could try and negotiate for exclusives - and I'm sure that's occurred to you already, though.

My only criticism is that there's not enough rockabilly in it

Yes, I haven't read it

i know, i re-read my post and thought it sounded pretty harsh, but my edit time was up, and now it's there, frozen in the amber of time, mocking me with its callous superciliousness. shamer, wha

A fit of pique. We've all been there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back