State Magazine (1 Viewer)

No, it's not on the web, it's available by digital subscription alright from the website. By Irish electronica, I'm merely talking about the promoters and artists who by and large, play and promote music of electronic origin be that dubstep, breakcore, techno, ambient or electronic, taking in promoters such as Kaboogie, Alphabet Set and Leechrum and festivals like Mantua and DEAF. I'd never seen those genres, festivals or promoters covered before so I went ahead and did it.

And you did right! It's a good article. Although I don't really have much interest in "electronica", so maybe I'm not all that qualified to judge

I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting ye should have put Ro on the cover for your first issue, Niall, but to have Stipe on the cover at the same time as HP and Q suggests (to me) "more of the same" rather than "this is new and different", which I thought was what ye were going after

I was glad to see Ham Sandwich and The Jimmy Cake get full articles, it augurs well for the future. The JC one was the better of the two, I thought (although I seem to remember the "finishing each other's sentences" cliche in there somewhere) - they had more to say for themselves is maybe the reason. The writers have to take responsibility though too - in the Ham Sandwich one the girl expounded on how they think the look of the band is important. Who cares? I know it's a standard question in the generic "new" band interview, but it's overdone and not very interesting

And you did right! It's a good article. Although I don't really have much interest in "electronica", so maybe I'm not all that qualified to judge

I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting ye should have put Ro on the cover for your first issue, Niall, but to have Stipe on the cover at the same time as HP and Q suggests (to me) "more of the same" rather than "this is new and different", which I thought was what ye were going after

I was glad to see Ham Sandwich and The Jimmy Cake get full articles, it augurs well for the future. The JC one was the better of the two, I thought (although I seem to remember the "finishing each other's sentences" cliche in there somewhere) - they had more to say for themselves is maybe the reason. The writers have to take responsibility though too - in the Ham Sandwich one the girl expounded on how they think the look of the band is important. Who cares? I know it's a standard question in the generic "new" band interview, but it's overdone and not very interesting

"Egg Shells Out On New Mag!"

Somebody stop me!

(rant alert)

this sounds like a very hot-press-y type thing to do. as an article concept, it's lazy and uninsightful. it insults the intelligence of any reader who actually cares about 'electronica' (a genre which doesn't actually exist, but i presume you're using the standard definition of 'music made without guitars, but also without black people').

that said, i haven't even read the piece, or the magazine (is it available overseas?), but it looks like it has a lot of potential, so please don't fall into the trap of pigeonholing stuff for convenience!

You're right! Rant alert. Don't really see why it is lazy and uninsightful at all! And don't start on about genres, was there ever such a thing as a genre?

Is it me or are the reviews a tad confusing? Whats with the coloured bars underneath?Is green good, red shit or is it by genre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back